• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
milspec

Well Water and Scent Control

milspec

My place runs on well water and I notice that it stinks like rotten eggs sometimes. If I used scent elimination laundry detergent will the smelly well water counter act the detergent?

Some Old Guy

The odour you are smelling is sulpher. If it's occasional you'll notice you'll smell it after a good dump of rain or during spring run off.

It sounds to me you have a drilled well and they went through hard bed rock and hit slate/shale. This is normally ok. The detergent should be fine to use.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

milspec

Thank you sir!

Mr. Canoehead

After it's washed you could let it air out for a while and then you could pack it in garbage bags full of spruce boughs and only remove the clothes from the garbage bag when you are hunting. Of course there is also the scent removing spray. I have also heard that eating a peanut butter sandwich covers your breath. last year i ate a PB sandwich and shot my buck about 10 minutes later, I wonder if it attracted him?

milspec

Bad idea to use garbage bags, you ever notice the smell of trash when you leave the garbage bag in the shed or garage? Well they don't fully keep odors in or out. But everyone has there own thing. Using brush or anything of the sort is nice and free, but isn't something I'll be doing either, that's inviting unwanted bacteria, and or ringworm and ticks, spiders etc etc. I'll be just washing them in scent a way detergent or other hunting brand detergent, drying them and immediately putting them into a hunter specialties odor free bag designed for clothes, then toss in some scent wafers and into a sealed tote box they go, kept out of the garage away from gas fumes, and out of the kitchen away from food and cleaning fumes. Scent away shower in the morning, I'll be putting on the clothes once I arrive at the hunting destination regardless of the temperature, spraying down and attaching some wafers to my gear. I won't pump my own gas, won't go into stores, won't go near smokers, odor free as much as possible. I know it may sound anal, but when it comes to down to it, I'd rather not risk it. For me its a simple matter of following through with all the hard work, practice, research, scouting for hours, and dollars spent to live those amazing moments in the wild.

brookiebuster

I have to start to do what your doing,maybe I'll actually see something when I'm in the bush :lol:

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest Ol Big Moose

Hey dude! It's really not that complicated at all,You make it sound like a job.

milspec

Like I said, everyone has there own thing, I don't know how, where, when, what, or why you hunt, but I choose the uphill battle because I like challenges. I feel that with all the time I put into scouting public land day, night, winter, summer, all the countless hours I spend practicing, tuning, practicing, re-tuning, practicing, tweaking with my bow, all my free time reading, researching and educating myself about any game or land I put myself in front of, that not caring about my scent is a blasphemy. I'm a driven individual, but even still, doing laundry, showering and avoiding human odors before I hunt seems like a worthy enough job. Getting changed in -20 or colder weather isn't something new to me, yes it sucks balls and its friggin cold, but is it worth it? If its an advantage I'll take it.

This all said, we all know that you can't fool the nose of some wild game, and knowing how to hunt the wind is the best we can sometimes do. How you guys would like to go about scent control is up to you. I was just originally concerned about smell of the water in my area .. stupid sulphur! :sick:

• Like 1

Buck 120

Just a tip, do not use frech Spruce/Cedar bows the moisture will produce mold. Use dry Cedar shakes/chips. I found that out the hard way. LOL

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Mr. Canoehead

Milspec, you are nothing if not meticulous! Nothing wrong with that! Still, all the scent control in the world probably won't stop a deer from smelling you if you are directly upwind from it and you could be smoking a cigar doused in gasoline and the thing still won't smell you if you are downwind. Good luck out there boys :ninja:

Guest Beamer

Use unscented Fabreez after you wash it, cheap version of most scent control sprays works great

Beamer

milspec

I'll have to check into that.