• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Steelhead through ice

Hey there everyone. Well Here goes. Is there any tips on targeting steelhead through the ice? I heard of people catching steelhead usually by chance through the ice all over lake superior. If I wanted to target these fish, what am I looking for. Are river mouths, and the areas near them a good spot to give it a shot? Or should I be looking out into the main lake more for these fish. I would assume shallower would be better, and by shallow i mean 10-25 feet, rather than 100+ that superior offers. I am sure I can narrow down the tackle for these fish. But when it comes to area I could use some direction. As well, I got no sled, so all my travel will be done on foot.

Brodie K.

Lyle Reiner

Think about this before you go. Do you think going near river mouths is a smart idea?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest mnaiman

My goal this season is to get a steely through the ice, but am too at a loss for places to start. Im told around the mouth of the Gravel river later in the season can be good, but as Hillbilly mentioned, caution must be taken. Although, did try out at the mouth of the mackenzie 2 weeks ago, and there was minimum 16" of ice (measured), and very little current. I felt very safe, but no fishies

Pound 4 Pound

If you guys take a look at the brook trout stocking list there are a couple of lakes that are stocked with RT which would be a lot safer than venturing out around mouths of rivers on the big lake.

By river mouths, I mean a very large area, not within direct flow of water. I may even mean the entire bay that a river might enter into.

I dont mean Im going to go stand where the current would normally be. As an example. I consider the entire bay that the Mckenzie river enters into being near the river mouth.

Brodie K.

Weekend coaster

Hey there everyone. Well Here goes. Is there any tips on targeting steelhead through the ice? I heard of people catching steelhead usually by chance through the ice all over lake superior. If I wanted to target these fish, what am I looking for. Are river mouths, and the areas near them a good spot to give it a shot? Or should I be looking out into the main lake more for these fish. I would assume shallower would be better, and by shallow i mean 10-25 feet, rather than 100+ that superior offers. I am sure I can narrow down the tackle for these fish. But when it comes to area I could use some direction. As well, I got no sled, so all my travel will be done on foot.

Brodie K.

Weekend coaster

Hi there

I catch steelhead or rainbows all the time in superior you just have to know where and when to find them. January and feburary they will be cruising 16 to 20 feet of water in search for smelts and in march I catch them in 10 to 6 ft of water. Lures that work best for me are shiny spoons with minnows

crazyctr

Brodie K.

hi brodie if you fish just outside of the marina in red rock you will have a very good chance to pick up a steelie and some whitefish to. if you find water depths from 6 to 15 feet along the shore

hbaits.jpg

Fishbum

post-1177-0-74118400-1359415309_thumb.jp

Hows this for river mouth spring steelhead fishing on lake superior ( just north of the Sault ) needed the 12ft to get across the water and onto the ice.... one of those days where u sit beside or in the boat and dont walk around.... but the fishing is unreal!!!

Fishbum

You can't see in the pic but we brought rope and a life jacket with us. Even tho the fishing can be awsome you still gotta be smart about ... That waters fn cold ! I know haha