• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest herbal

Squeers

scandiman

I'm in!

• Like 1

WalleyeWayne

The optics on this one could be more grief to ensure integrity than it's worth to coordinate. Why not just ensure we have a mode of identification on the ice (red flag or something - you will recognize us by following the smell of BBQ deer steaks) for TBF Members, take pics of your catch, get your weigh-in from the cleaning station, and post pics & results on the site later??? I'm all for camaraderie and kibitzing 1st.....but will certainly compete it that's the general consensus.

Lyle Reiner

I was just thinkin a one day thing on opener. Whoever caught the biggest fish, post a pic and your card from the mnr and that person gets bragging rights

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest surfNturf

Anybody have an answer? I was accepted for the first Saturday, but now I have to work. Is there any way of going at a different day or no?

Thanks for the input.

sinker7

Try and contact Lorne Kraft at the MNR. His e-mail is on the Squeers website. Explain your situation....he might be able to help you.

James01

This year will be my first experience with Squeers. Suggestions on presentation, size, location, etc. would be appreciated.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

James01

Nope not a smart rear end at all! Just sayin' is all.

I guess we just keep our slip for conformation.

What does anyone else think? Up for it?

Roger

I am up for it Roger... and, see my earlier post (which might be null now).

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

WalleyeWayne

This year will be my first experience with Squeers. Suggestions on presentation, size, location, etc. would be appreciated.

Small - medium sized minnows on glow white jigheads has always worked best for us. The big thing = JIGGING! We got 3 times the amount of hits when jigging as opposed to the set lines. Also if you lose one on the retrieve - leave your bait right there and wait for it to re-hit. Don't pull up right away to check your bait and don't bother jigging or releasing more line - just leave it dormant as they will hover in that area and hit it again if there is something there they want. Lakers will suspend, but spend some time a foot or two off bottom also. Good luck!

Bottom Bouncer

It's been a few years since I've fished Sqeers. Is the trail from the parking lot into the first lake still a cow trail? There was talk about it getting fixed up but I didn't hear anymore.

REELBAIT

Some Old Guy

I heard it's fixed up now. It went from a cow trail to a horse trail.

ha ha

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

James01

Small - medium sized minnows on glow white jigheads has always worked best for us. The big thing = JIGGING! We got 3 times the amount of hits when jigging as opposed to the set lines. Also if you lose one on the retrieve - leave your bait right there and wait for it to re-hit. Don't pull up right away to check your bait and don't bother jigging or releasing more line - just leave it dormant as they will hover in that area and hit it again if there is something there they want. Lakers will suspend, but spend some time a foot or two off bottom also. Good luck!

Thanks... actually, I found in almost all my icefishing that the active line gets the fish.

Cheers, J.

- Henry David Thoreau

sinker7

It's been a few years since I've fished Sqeers. Is the trail from the parking lot into the first lake still a cow trail? There was talk about it getting fixed up but I didn't hear anymore.

No...the trail is the same

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Thanks... actually, I found in almost all my icefishing that the active line gets the fish.

Cheers, J.

I didnt touch minnows had a dozen through the hole before 11 am. Outfished everyone else with live.

Just rig small buckshot rattle spoon and have a second larger spoon rigged. didnt get a single fish on a set line.

They were hitting some big hardware like trolling spoons. Good times

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

WalleyeWayne

The trail deteriorates as the days go by, but is always traversable. The gravel pit and dirt road are real messy though!

Guest herbal

Wow this thread blew up .... I'm up for some bragging rights. Trail can get pretty messy but if it stays below freezing at night we won't have an issue getting in, Getting out is the hard part.

scandiman

Yup. Last year when we went it was gravy going in, but almost 20 degree celcius weather made for some seriously sloppy hiking out. Not to mention everyone looked like lobsters by end of day lol.

Resource Pimp

There's a traditional portage trail from upper Sheban to Squeers via Firefly and Watershed lakes with very little elevation change,however I don't think they would be cool with people using that route as their check station is on the other end of the lake. Would need a chainsaw for sure as it dosn't get used often.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

WalleyeWayne

It's the main trail in/out, it has to take a beating regardless of weather! You're going into a fishbowl of smallish lake trout, but you also know you have a very good chance of taking home fish!!! The trade-off is determining what effort you want to exhort for those 5 lakers/person that will average around 16-20 inches. I've been doing it for the last 6 years and will continue for as long as I can. Good luck everyone!