• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Road kill.......what do you do

Bobber Down

I guess we all see it. So what do you do? Swerve to avoid it. Slow down, take a good look. Stop to stock the freezer. Perform a roadside burial. :ph34r:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

WalleyeWayne

Pull over, size up the kill to try to determine time of death and condition of the carcass. If all looks good, gut and load it (if in my truck) and if it looks old or badly bruised, ensure it is dragged off into the ditch for the next "shopper".

Some Old Guy

Ha!

I see quite a bit of road kill and have had to perform a few mercy kills.

Bigger game such as deer, quite common, you have to have permission from the police officer or C.O. to take this home.

Endangered or protected animals such as owls, eagles, turtles..... etc. That's a biggie. I won't even touch them injured or dead. That's a contact the MnR one for sure.

I think it's even against the law to take a pruned Eagle feather if you are not First Nations.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

eddylives

For road kill and keeping it........time of year , condition and amount of time would detrmine if its any good or not hehe. Also is it for you or food for the dogs , I have friends that take advantage of the free food lol.

TWD is responsible for the removal of road kill on their patrol areas , its unfortunate but the majority of it is just disposed of in the dump or other out of the way places. Some is picked up by persons using it for baiting and the odd cleaner kill is kept for people that request one through friends of the patrol yard.

I found to my suprise that its usually the transport kills(moose) that are worth keeping......from my experience most were "head shots" so to speak and the rest was in decent condition. Most half ton/car collisions left the animal in a mess and not usable.

As far as I understand it if you pick up a road kill you should report it to the ministry to cover yourself.

All it takes is for someone to report you and you can be accused of poaching , save the hassle of proving how you came into posession of the animal.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

This one time I was out with roger and saw a sheep with its head stuck in the fence.........

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Some Old Guy

And I was way too tired, like really, way to tired. BECAUSE I WAS OUT WITH RYAN!! So we just drove by the sheep and hoped that the farmer would rescue him!

Roger

Lyle Reiner

Ryan was it you or Roger that wore the rubber boots that are too big for your feet?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Some Old Guy

YOu were with us. Remember? We didn't call you Lyle that day we just called you Lye. Remember. Shhhh Shhhh just lye shhhh it's ok. As I gently smoothed your hair back. Ryan (Rammin' Ryan as he was called that day) unscrewed the lid on that clear plastic jar with the blue lid.......

Roger

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin
:wtf::tmi:

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

eddylives

Hmmmmmm.....mental note.........watch these guys at any fishing hole.........lmao :smiley-violent108:

unbedable

Ha!

I see quite a bit of road kill and have had to perform a few mercy kills.

Bigger game such as deer, quite common, you have to have permission from the police officer or C.O. to take this home.

On my way to work the other day, i felt bad cause this guy was still sitting up, but walked over and both back legs were totally crushed, assuming by a vehicle. As I was on my way to work I could only call in to the non-emergency line. In this instance, would it be humane to provide 'bump' on the head?!

post-775-0-83260600-1365516244_thumb.jpg

WalleyeWayne

I think not....but a slice accross the throat would probably be quicker and easier to do than caving in its skull.

eddylives

I think not....but a slice accross the throat would probably be quicker and easier to do than caving in its skull.

I was not going to reveal this but the rules the cops and co's have to follow seem to keep them from discharging fire arms? Not sure on this one?

That being said I never had to do a mercy kill roadside while doing hwy work but a co worker spoke of using the blunt of an axe or a sledge hammer.

A pretty brutal way to do it but when thats all your allowed to do I guess it is better than leaving them to expire on their own.

I remember one he told of a deer collision on hwy 102 that he had to go request the mother of a little girl he spotted watching from the parked car go and distract her so she did not witness the "bonk " on the head.

eyelander

I was not going to reveal this but the rules the cops and co's have to follow seem to keep them from discharging fire arms? Not sure on this one?

That being said I never had to do a mercy kill roadside while doing hwy work but a co worker spoke of using the blunt of an axe or a sledge hammer.

A pretty brutal way to do it but when thats all your allowed to do I guess it is better than leaving them to expire on their own.

I remember one he told of a deer collision on hwy 102 that he had to go request the mother of a little girl he spotted watching from the parked car go and distract her so she did not witness the "bonk " on the head.

Don't know if that is true or not about preventing them from discharging firearms to dispatch injured animals like deer, bear, or moose, but I personally watched a police officer with a shotgun on Balmoral Street 2 months ago end the agony of a deer an older gentleman hit. It was down in the ditch in a bit of a thicket, but there was no threat to anybody else around as he was probably only 10 ft. away from the animal.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

eddylives

Ya I'm not really sure myself.....may be there is too much paperwork for a discharge? On a public roadway?

I will ask someone I know if I remember in the future.

The hwy guys have to use blunt force when there is no one available to legally shoot the animal around.

Thefishleclair

Report anything you pickup off the road to MNR ASAP! I have picked up Owls, Hawks, and a few Deer and they had no Issue when I reported it the next day and got permits to posses/keep.

Never had to do it to a Big game before so I have no Idea what or how it will react to you gettin close for a Bonk or Slice. IMO a Bonk to the noggin would be better then a Slice.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

naden

Ya I'm not really sure myself.....may be there is too much paperwork for a discharge? On a public roadway?

The hwy guys have to use blunt force when there is no one available to legally shoot the animal around.

About 6 or 7 years ago we came across a wounded deer on oliver road in front of the golf course about 3 am. Called the cops and they shot it with a hand gun while we held the flash light for the officer.

eddylives

Seems we have the answer to discharge lol if they are shooting them in city limits

I will ask a retired city officer and a CO that i know what the rules are about this when I see them in the future.

eyelander

They will definitely have to write a report. Any time they take their service weapon out of it's holster, shotgun out of the car, baton off of their belt, or even put people in temporary custody on the roadside even if the let them go with a citation or warning they have to write it up.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Patch

They will definitely have to write a report. Any time they take their service weapon out of it's holster, shotgun out of the car, baton off of their belt, or even put people in temporary custody on the roadside even if the let them go with a citation or warning they have to write it up.

Partially right. Pistol displayed to public...report. Shotgun or rifle displayed to the public...no report unless discharged. Baton used...no report unless actually used on suspect. Arrest, ticket....normal notes.

As for wounded animals, Officers dispatch them with the rifle or shotgun and complete a use of force report.