• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

Opp/Mnr Swarming

Guest TerryK

We would need to nominate a sheriff of this town you speak of, and probably a jail. You know, because all of the people that go out there aren't sporstmen and they're bound to cause trouble. They shouldn't be left to their own devices.

I see what you did there.

I'm not saying that nobody can be trusted but let me tell you, in my experience, given the chance many law abiding citizens can turn into poachers when greed takes over. It is human nature to be greedy. It's part of our survival instinct. Many, many times I have seen people (some who I know) revert to poaching when the opportunity arises. Extreme low water during the steelhead run in 2010 made people lose their minds. I saw long time steelhead fishermen doing things that they would normally NEVER dream of doing, just because the fish were stacked in small pools and very vulnerable. And some years ago when the MNR was on strike and there were no COs patrolling, the poaching that was blatantly going on was sickening. Coolers full of trout and salmon were a common sight, all in plain sight and broad daylight. Many fights ensued. And it wasn't happening only on rivers, the inland lakes were just as bad or worse. People don't like to talk about it but many remember.

It can a does happen.

Guest TerryK

Also, I'm SERIOUSLY doubting the whole "8-10 machines and officers" deal. There aren't half that many CO for all of NWO and there is no way the OPP is going to have 6-8 officers patroling Lac. 2 COs and 1-2 OPP officers is the norm. Just a little short of 10.

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

When I was stopped a few years ago there were 6 or more "CO's"

Two I recognized the others were younger and I assumed they were being trained.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

scandiman
You need to expect that this is likely around large crowds. I go places where the risk of running into anyone is slim. I fish 100% legally and am a proud supporter of our resources. But I don't like crowds. I go fishing to get away. I catch and release 99% of the time, be it trout, walleye, pike or any species. I do not mind them doing their job. But I surely demand some level of respect from them, as I most definitely show them respect. I dont care what they deal with. If they cannot treat every incidence individually, than they should not be a co or opp. I am not going to get treated like crap because other people are idiots. Aaaaaaand thats why I avoid crowds. Peace of mind, peace and quiet. Respect to all co's and opp out there protecting our resource. But it is innocent until proven guilty. So i think they need to rethink their approach.

Well said Brodie!

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I've witnessed many opp along with 2-3 co on busy lakes such as lac, and even along the shore of superior over the last 5 years. Pretending all co's an opp officers are always nice, Is foolish. Terry, do you get greedy? Would you ever poach? Not me, no matter what. Your making some big accusations and are insinuating that most anglers will poach if able to. We all know who the poachers are, and we know who they aren't. You can spot them a mile away.

Some Old Guy

I have to agree. I wouldn't poach either. No matter what. Like some others I don't really eat all that many fish.

Roger

Jerr454

I was there and their was 8 co's at my hut, I counted.

Jerr454

I worked at the office in Thunder Bay, and believe me there is more than 8 co's in the Thunder Bay area.

There's not really a sense in arguing over whether or or not this is a reality. It clearly is, despite whether some choose to think it isn't. Either by choosing to be oblivious, playing devils advocate, or by simply never hearing of or seeing these things happen, which they do. The issue is not what the co's and opp are doing, it is why are they doing this? The enforcement has gotten stronger, and a lot of the time strength is gained through intimidation. 8-10 people, any combination of opp or co's is overkill, causes uncomfort for the one being questioned by them, and will also create a larger dislike for the people protecting our resource. I dont legally have to answer when I got on the lake, plan to leave. Or any other probing questions. If I am not being detained for investigation, or being charged with anything than I am free to go on my merry way. I have rights and the minute you stop using them people will see them as something easy to take. If you don't use it, ya lose it. I will reiterate, I always show upmost respect, and usually offer up the number of fish caught, and choose to show them what I've kept if any, without them asking. However there are times where I feel my rights are being pressured and I am the first one to exercise them. I will never give up my rights "to make it easier on me".

fishman1

They Lready have a sherif out there. Gary McCourt. Hahahahahahahahah

• Like 1

68camaro

Also, I'm SERIOUSLY doubting the whole "8-10 machines and officers" deal. There aren't half that many CO for all of NWO and there is no way the OPP is going to have 6-8 officers patroling Lac. 2 COs and 1-2 OPP officers is the norm. Just a little short of 10.

Don't doubt it, I was there, I was also approached at 10:45pm by the "swarm" of CO's and OPP. It was very real. We were pulling shacks off the lake all day and weren't fishing. We didn't even have holes drilled. So our visit was brief and uneventful. However, it had us asking each other "what the hell just happened????" It was kinda cool and disturbing all at the same time. I was surprised by the late night visit and I'm sure they caught a few people goofin off. If people behave, they wouldn't have anything to worry about.

fisherdude

They did the same " raid" type deal to my buddy's shack two or three weeks ago, searched everything in the whole shack and everyone there said there was the same amount of co's n opp. They didn't find anything in my buddy's shack either. A little excessive I'd say

Guest Angler AV

When checking for helmet chin straps being done up and "free" licence stickers being on the correct side of the machine are more of a priority than whether someone is keeping over their limit we have a problem.

The resource is most important, the other issues are too intrusive.

Innocent until proven guilty is right. When you are confronted by immediate scrutiny it makes you rack your brain for what might be perceived to be wrong and when you are trying to enjoy your given right to fish and some piece and quiet this puts a damper on that.

There is no need for force on our lakes....simple as that.

Some Old Guy

Angler AV,

I agree with your post except for the part about our right to fish. Fishing is not our right. Anything that requires a license, paid or free is a privledge not a right.

Roger

eddylives

What this all boils down to is simply respect.

Be polite and respectful to me and you will recieve the same from me.

Be a dick and you will get name rank serial number and politely told off until you go away,,,,nothing more , nothing less

I have had to use this method on a few nasty co's and they don't like it but what are they going to do when I am legal lol.

I agree it is a waste of my time to go around in circles with them (you can see it drives them nuts) but I will stand my ground to the point of a court date.....and they will not be going in front of a judge with nothing , you must be caught breaking the law for that to happen.

As stated before in this thread you can only allow them to push so hard before you push back and each situation is a judgement call by those involved.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest bigpikeseeker

Angler AV,

I agree with your post except for the part about our right to fish. Fishing is not our right. Anything that requires a license, paid or free is a privledge not a right.

Roger

Not exactly Roger....you were born with the right to fish....government just decided to charge for it and convinced the people it is a privilege 'given' to you if you pay for it. Such is the modus operandi of gubment....bestowing 'rights' to you that you already have. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay a fee to fish as long as I know the $ are going toward a sensible management of the resource.

Guest Fish Life

I would politely urge anyone that has been searched during one of these "raids" and felt intimidated to make a formal complaint. This approach seems to be a strategic tactic they have adopted and it should be addressed. Just like any other job, there is a right way and wrong way to go about it, this is not the right way.

Kaptain Kirk

i think it is time to start video recording theses actions and start sending in formal complaints, then may be they will have some simply respect. I know they have a tough job,but a little simply respect goes along way.

crazyctr

I too, have decided to stay away from Lac for a few reasons...this being one of them.

I have run into Conservation Officers and OPP Officers many times while fishing Lac.

Many times these encounters were friendly, you might even say pleasant.

But...there have been a few times for me where I was obeying all rules and ran into either a CO or OPP officer who decided that today I was going to be treated like I was guilty before proven innocent. I can think of one instance when I was 18 years old and drove out for a day fish by myself...before I drove onto the ice I was greeted near Gary's garage by an OPP officer on a power trip...

He held me on the side of the road for a few minutes, where he continued to try and intimidate me and insinuate that I was lieing about something or hiding something from him. I just wanted to go fishing!

It is a slap in the face when you take pride in preserving and protecting the resource you love at every opportunity, and someone decides to treat you as a resource abuser.

Dont get me wrong, I salute CO's for the job they do and the arze holes they have to put up with.

I even know a couple CO's personally, great people. There are just a few out there making a bad name for the bunch.

Thats the end of my rant...

Thats just my $0.02

...or is that now rounded down to $0.00 ????

you are absolutily right there are lots of CO`s and opp officers out there that are great guys and gals like you i am friends with lots of them being i deal with them dailyin my business. but there are a few mostly rookies out there trying to make a name for themselves that overstep their duty and go on power trips . all you have to do is answer their questions and let it go its not worth it to fight with them

hbaits.jpg

I always show respect. The COs and OPP USUALLY do to. In which case I comply no problem. They are only doing their job. But if I feel intimidated or I feel they are crossing boundaries to intentionally disrespect me, for whatever reason, than now it is worth it for me to show not all fisherman will stand by as they take advantage of our rights. If you do not exercise your rights, either to speed up the process, to make it "easier" on you. Or "easier" on them, than before you know it your gonna hear "why are you fighting for rights you never used anyway?". I am ALWAYS a very respectful person. Was raised to be polite and show respect, was also taught to stand up for people being bullied. Its not a matter of "sometime they overstep their duty and power trip". That is not okay, just like I can't overstep my boundaries and keep one fish over limit. They are not out to cut you slack. If you break a law they fine you, or worse. Why do I have to be okay with them crossing legal and ethical barriers when they're job is to prevent me from doing so.

This can go on forever. Your either on the side saying it is okay to be approached by 10 authority figures in the evening, intimidated, and forced into an uncomfortable situation. Or your on the side that says its not. I don't think it is okay. Why are people so fearful of exercising their legal rights? Thats why they are there. I am not saying fight every incident, or be a disrespectful idiot because you feel your rights are being threatened. Stay calm, think before you speak. You will have your chance in court if you feel you've been wrongly treated.