• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Now let's really rock this boat till she tips!!!!!

eddylives

So Roger, in a sense you're equating bass fishing to perch fishing... yeah, I can see it. Both are good choices for kids, and sometimes the elderly and infirmed. Heck, we needn't stop there, fishing for Crappie, Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, Rock Bass, its all the same sort of thing... except that they all taste better than Bass. :fire:

Ahhhhhh bass.......the "khao" of the fishing world.....

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Some Old Guy

Perch, Crappie, Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, Rock Bass ummmm not what I meant at all.

You totally mistook what I was saying James. Sorry I should have explained it better.

As for the elderly and infirmed comment? Oh well, I'm getting up there.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

James01

Perch, Crappie, Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, Rock Bass ummmm not what I meant at all.

You totally mistook what I was saying James. Sorry I should have explained it better.

As for the elderly and infirmed comment? Oh well, I'm getting up there.

Roger

And here I was thinking you were making lite (light?) of Bass/Bass fishing; perhaps it was the comments suggesting it is a fish for kids (hence my comments about perch, etc.,). The misunderstanding was all on my behalf Roger... oh well, no harm no foul-hook. And I think eddylives got my intention - except that I am not sure what a "Khao" is; being in reference to my comments about Bass, I am sure it equates to not being taken seriously.

Perch, Crappie, Steelhead, Walleye, Bass... in the end it doesn't really matter. Compared to big Pike, the rest are just table fare (well, poor table fare in the case of Bass). ;)

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

eddylives

Well I'm just poking fun around here lol.

"khao" is from the hangover II movie

"Fohn: Khao is soft white rice in lukewarm water. It has no taste. Befitted to small babies and very old people. It is nourishment that everyone can digest. The world needs khao, just as the world needs people like Stu."

With the poke at bass I thought this fit well haha......bass are not as tasteless as fishy trout though..... :sick:

• Like 1

James01

Well I'm just poking fun around here lol.

"khao" is from the hangover II movie

"Fohn: Khao is soft white rice in lukewarm water. It has no taste. Befitted to small babies and very old people. It is nourishment that everyone can digest. The world needs khao, just as the world needs people like Stu."

With the poke at bass I thought this fit well haha......bass are not as tasteless as fishy trout though..... :sick:

Thanks for the clarification EL., I don't know that I ever watched Hangover II. And yes, your analogy fits quite well. The "khao" of the fishing world... so, the Shebandowan "Khao" tournament? (The SKT?) It has a nice ring to it.

And I agree about the trout... my often-times fishing partner likes trout, so I usually send the fish home with him (of course, only when they are within his catch limit).

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Lyle Reiner

Back to protecting spawning fish, why is it only that lakers, specs(natural) walleye and Muskie are the only species that close during their spawn?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Some Old Guy

Hey,

I just start crap here. I try not to wipe it up! HA HA HA!

Roger

eyelander

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

"William Shakespeare"

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

James01

Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. (Wilde)

But in all shallowness, Pike spawn very early - often under the ice, and they simply are not targeted as much as other fish. Steelhead... well the argument could be made that they were introduced to be fished while spawning, and I don't know that any other single species of fish has as many advocates as Steelhead - good luck trying to close that season. Bass... well, they're Bass, 'nuff said. Salmon are kinda like Steelhead.

ON the other side of the proverbial coin...

Walleye are a highly targeted fish that has spawning habits that make it susceptible to angling pressure; Muskie are fairly rare, and Specs are a fairly fragile fish/fishery. Lake Trout? Who the heck knows... maybe a combination of some of the above.

My best guesses hillbilly...

Now lets back to being deep. ;)

- Henry David Thoreau

James01

In other words... I haven't the slightest idea.

Fortunately Carp never closes, as they are a fish of royalty.

- Henry David Thoreau

gsambray

Lyle Reiner

I kinda wanna target pike. They gotta be spawning now!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

James01

They should be... or, very soon. I have only come across Pike actually spawning once, they were in a creek. My Brother-in-Law and I were heading down a dirt road early one Spring, and one of us noticed splashing in a creek. We stopped to investigate - expecting to maybe see suckers or even Walleye, we were quite surprised to see Pike working past a small rapids (perhaps they were some strange Armstrong highway cross between a Pike and a Steelhead - or, just some confused Pike). They had no interest in biting a hook (now that I know a few Steelhead techniques, I might be able to catch a few should I come across that situation again). I could have reached down and grabbed them, but I am an angler. We followed the creek a ways, and found where a bear had made quick work of quite a few... we got out of there a bit quicker than we went in.

Closer to the main lake was a marshy pool, the main lake was still frozen but the marshy pool was open. And it was full of Pike, but once again, they had no interest in taking a hook - and we threw everything at them - spoons, topwater, twistertails, soft and slow twitch baits, spinnerbaits, you name it. Perhaps that is why Pike season never closes, not only are they fairly inaccessible when they spawn (except perhaps for those Pike who thought they were Steelhead) but they don't bite very well while actually spawning - they do however feed quite voraciously immediately after, and usually on the kinds of fish others seem to prize on this board. I earlier referred to those kinds of fish as table fare (and poor table fair in the case of Bass... errr, I mean Khao, and Trout - especially Steelhead), I guess I could also refer to them as feed.

Not sure if you were being facetious or not hillbilly, but every Spring I mean to get out to do some very early season Pike fishing. If that creek and marsh wasn't as far as it is, I would be checking it on occasion.

Cheers.

p.s. I really need open water to fish... I would even fish for Khao at this point.

post-1799-0-39379100-1365679322_thumb.pn

Its the natural order of things.

- Henry David Thoreau

eddylives

I have never seen the pike spawn anywhere but have missed it, bad timing lol.

There was talk of the spearing of pike in creeks around the Nipigon area years ago , I guess it was like shooting fish in a barrel.......not something I would consider but the fellas that did it would eat all they poached at least.

Trevor Zimak

Im just moving this useless thread back up to the top... hahahaha

- Zimmers

Guest Smack Um

Ooohh Yeah Ultimate Pike Fishing!...The cream will rise to the top!... :)

Some Old Guy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! That looked like me this morning!!!!!

Roger

Guest Evinrude20

I won't get into a fish is a fish is a fish, however, being allergic, I've come to learn that walleye fillets are as good as cold hard cash!

Some Old Guy

The way I meant a fish is a fish is a fish is so long as you are out there fishing. So if you like bass, fish bass, specks,,,, etc.

Roger

Some Old Guy

Walleye fillets as good as cold hard cash? What are you doing? Selling them?

Roger