• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Reiner

Annual safety checks for personal vehicles

Lyle Reiner

It is a discussion forum. This is a discussion.

Lets talk about fishing then, anyone got any big walleye lately? Oh wait they're closed. How's the ice on whitefish, yup. There's lots. How's the steelhead doing, zomg there's a big debate on elitist egos and opinions. So Croat, why not a decent discussion on issues about everyday life?

It's not like the government is ramming it down our throats. It's just a discussion, on a discussion board. What's wrong with that? If you only want to read fishing topics. Pick one. There's over 6000 in this forum alone.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

ghart

Grew up with yearly safeties in nova scotia, you get used to the high likelyhood of $1k to $2k a year to spend on you vehicles. The problem there is (theyve changed the rules a bit) you used to be able to take the vehicles home of they failed, pretty much now you are stuck getting it fixed where you get it safety and most mechanics know it. Ive seen brand new cars (1 year old) fail due to some obscur part which the mechanic deemed as unsafe - turned out the part was fine and statistically never fails.

Had my car fail because the horn wasnt loud enough :-). Ball joints and tie rods changed yearly - as a tiny play would fail you.

Personally im kinda shocked with the dis-repair of some of the vehicles i see driving around up here and I gurantee 95% of all vehicles on Ontario roads (outside 2 years old) would probably fail under Nova Scotia standards.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

eddylives

Grew up with yearly safeties in nova scotia, you get used to the high likelyhood of $1k to $2k a year to spend on you vehicles. The problem there is (theyve changed the rules a bit) you used to be able to take the vehicles home of they failed, pretty much now you are stuck getting it fixed where you get it safety and most mechanics know it. Ive seen brand new cars (1 year old) fail due to some obscur part which the mechanic deemed as unsafe - turned out the part was fine and statistically never fails.

Had my car fail because the horn wasnt loud enough :-). Ball joints and tie rods changed yearly - as a tiny play would fail you.

Personally im kinda shocked with the dis-repair of some of the vehicles i see driving around up here and I gurantee 95% of all vehicles on Ontario roads (outside 2 years old) would probably fail under Nova Scotia standards.

We had a friend that purchased a tractor(transport) brand new off the lot.

Less than one month later it failed a spot safety at the scales on arthur st.

They claimed a steering component was worn beyond spec.

After a long fight and court battle the verdict was there was nothing wrong , the manufacturer of the transport was even involved.

So I would agree there would be abuse of the situation by some garages/mechanics.

The day a bs mechanics call failed my vehicle is the last they would ever see of my business , I would not give them the go ahead to fix something thats fine ever lol.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I'm cool with topics like this. The board is still very much a fishing board. It's just people discussing. Roger has no need to remove the thread.

Some Old Guy

Wow Croat,

Picture it as sitting around the campfire.....

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

MILLER

Wow Croat,

Picture it as sitting around the campfire.....

Roger

Good way to look at it Roger, some people are lacking "insight" and/or just miserable so they have to Arf Arf about something. Some people are too serious and need to get a life! As us cool people continue to have fun on this board, we won't miss the other type.

avatar_888.jpg?dateline=1515226580

gsambray

Ive had numorous vehicles come in for just a bascic oil change and have had a bigger list of needed repairs than some of the transports we have safetied. Not saying a yearly safety should be required but maybe a low cost general look over would be good but optional aswell. And say if u do get a yearly check up you get a paper saying it was done and then used to say get a deduction on cost of insurance. As stated before it should be OPTIONAL cause not everyone has the extra cash for that.

gsambray

Just re-read what I wrote. I NEED TO GO FISHING!!! this seems luke work goes 7 days not 5 lol

Guest cmcrawfo

Is this what a fishing site is now somewhere you can get people pissed off with stupid subjects like this.This is why a lot of my freinds are not coming to this site anymore .NOTHING TO DO WITH FISHING.

And its time I left to I think,if Roger is allowing subjects like this to continue Im gone too.

REALLY annual safety.Whats next you cant do your own plumbing,or carpentry.Think about it dummie!!

........self edited......... ( a few deep breaths )

I think stuff like this is just fine.

bwkre

I think It is OK. Sort of interesting to hear different takes on almost any subject, as long as it doesn't become nasty. Besides no one forced me to enter the topic. I pressed the button on my own, and I can exit it at any time if I don't like the conversation.

Adrian

like he said - if you don't like the topic, skip to one you do like....

gsambray

MTO mechanics do the inspections at safety lane checks.

So if mto can pull vehicles off the road and do roadside safeties then how does this make sense.

To become an mto vehicle inspector its an 8 week course but to become a licensed mechanic its multiple years on the job training (apprentice) plus school time and have to write a red seal exam and recive a minimum of 70percent to get licensed to do safety checks.

gsambray

Absolutely no offense in my post to any MTO officers

uncle

Absolutely no offense in my post to any MTO officers

Are you confusing MTO with MNR ?

Adrian

The training the MTO inspection officers has nothing to do with being a mechanic. They are trained to measure various functions ot vehicles and compare those measurements to Mfg. and Provincial standards. If a steering wheel is allowed 2 " of movement, and it has 3 ", it simply fails, the standard is that no cords shall be visible on any tire, and if the inspecter sees cords sticking out of a tire, it fails, if there are to be no exhaust leaks within the parmitter of the vehicle, and the muffler has a hole in it, it fails, quite simple really . Anyone can do that type of enforcement.

gsambray

It is easy to see if tires and exhaust is bad. Just saying that it takes a lit more time and training to be able to inspect and sign a safety than it does to be an mto inspector. What im getting at is that to be able to have the power to pull a vehicle off the road you should be a licensed mechanic not just someone who took a one day course

Wade O.

The training the MTO inspection officers has nothing to do with being a mechanic. They are trained to measure various functions ot vehicles and compare those measurements to Mfg. and Provincial standards. If a steering wheel is allowed 2 " of movement, and it has 3 ", it simply fails, the standard is that no cords shall be visible on any tire, and if the inspecter sees cords sticking out of a tire, it fails, if there are to be no exhaust leaks within the parmitter of the vehicle, and the muffler has a hole in it, it fails, quite simple really . Anyone can do that type of enforcement.

I agree, a lot of the times things they are fining people for in these situations are things that should be caught in a vehicle walk around (for commercial vehicles anyway). Also with the commercial vehicles they are getting people on things like logs and permits and plates and so on in these inspections also. If they are pulling a passenger vehicle over and find things say like exhaust leak or broken lenses....which anyone can spot....then more than likely the driver knows about it but has failed to do anything about it. No different then getting pulled over for a headlight out.....more than likely you knew.....or should have noticed the light out. A safety is not really that hard to complete if you know what to look for and what is allowable.

I think people would be surprised by somethings that people think would fail a safety but actually pass. I mean a safety isn't any kind of guarantee on the overall mechanical workings of a vehicle. It basically checks that its safe...seat belts, lights, lenses, brakes, no loose suspension components, no leaky exhaust, windshield not cracked, and tire condition. Really the only thing that the basic joe might not know is the allowances for suspension on vehicles and the brake component measurement allowances.