• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Reiner

Annual safety checks for personal vehicles

Guest cmcrawfo

I am a little confused, is this actually something that is being contemplated by government right now? or are we just trying to liven up the discussion? ( I really hope this is just a conversation starter)

FreshwaterFisherman mentioned something interesting "...lets just allow anyone to inspect at any time..." The police can give an order to have your vehicle inspected if they believe it to be unsafe. So there are already checks in place to keep dangerous vehicles off the road. Furthermore.... driving with a cracked windshield is a ticketable offence .... In Ontario I believe the fine is $110.

On a side note, If anyone is interested here is a recent article about the decline of freedoms in Canada. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/adam-kingsmith/canada-freedom-of-press_b_2946418.html

Guest cmcrawfo

And while we are on the topic of inspections .... lets talk about the quality of some these inspections. There was a recent report out of BC that safety inspection required to recert a rebuilt vehicle after a crash are basically not being done, and just signed off, despite obvious structural and mechanical problems. Locally, I am sure we all "know a guy who knows a guy" who will sign off on your safety without even looking at your vehicle. There probably needs to be a better system in place to regulate this ... as I don't work in this industry I don't know what really goes on... as a professional mechanic, how often are your inspections audited?

Lyle Reiner

Just a conversation starter

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

It's a matter of giving up control, I don't want to. Lol. Sorry for getting to heated. I think this is just a discussion no actual plan for this to be implemented as of yet.

My vehicle is safe. I just don't want to have to pay because other people don't take care of their vehicle. That's all. I am all for safety don't get me wrong, but we would need to draw the line somewhere. Accidents will ALWAYS occur and people will continue to get hurt and die every year, regardless of how many regulations are put in place. For the record, my windshield is fully intact, but that is one thing that commonly happens and is no big deal in my eyes. Which is why I mentioned it. There are so many associated costs with driving already. That's all. I can't afford to pay more nor do I want to. It too expensive already.

Guest cmcrawfo

just to be certain that I understand .. you are against this proposal? :lol:

Lol I'm against over regulating. I am also against the world needing to be baby proofed for some.

eddylives

Commercial vehicles require a yearly inspection for good reason.....they get more use than almost every personal vehicle , they often haul heavy weights and some run in conditions that cause excessive wear and breakage.

If a personal vehicle has a brake failure for example....most cases they are still left with limited stopping power and remain in control and nothing happens , they get repaired.

Now commercial vehicles on the other hand cannot be allowed the same failure....just the size and weights some carry will result in possible tragicic accidents.

Commercial trucks are inspected anually and then subject to further inspections at the government scales and also on the road when something causes the authorities to become suspect of any defects.

Having operated and repaired a lot of transports over the years I am glad the big rigs have this.....the number of rigs that are not up to standards is really high.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Some Old Guy

Commit a driving infraction therefore you MUST retake licencing tests. All of them. By committing the infraction you proved you cannot drive. This includes failing to signal for a lane change to running over a mother and baby walking in the park (went out of your way to run them over)

That way we know all drivers are safe to drive..... never mind the junk they drive. That'll keep us safer.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

I agree Roger. Fix the driver, not what they are driving.

Guest cmcrawfo

So every time I get a speeding ticket I have to re take the drivers exam??? What happened to less regulation (I am looking at you freshwater) :)

I wouldn't necessarily take it as far as roger. I would be okay with that if it was directed at people who were in collisions, incidences that involve more than 1 vehicle. I would be more okay with this because your not clumping every human and vehicle into one group. A small portion of drivers are in a collision each year. At least we would be targeting a smaller group who have shown they may need a refresher. If its up to me. None of this. If I had to pick. I'd be more okay with targeting unsafe drivers over unsafe vehicles. Because odds are one would cost ME money and the other wouldn't. I'm a safe driver.

Some Old Guy

I took it to the extreme. Meaning I was being facicous (ain'ts sures ifs I spilt it write)

I'm just sying that I get it that some people drive crap and may need to fix things on their cars/trucks. I just don't think it should be going in every year.

Funny thing is I am noticing a wierd noise coming from the front end of my truck. It started this morning. It sounds like a high pitched whining sound that is intermitant while driving. When I stop it sounds like it's chattering????

Roger

Some Old Guy

I went and took a look under the truck. I found the problem.

I forgot I tied my dog to the front bumper.

Roger

Castnblast

Letter to wife "Sorry honey won't be home for supper this week. Gotta take the car in for it's annual safety".

:D

Gibby

It is the responsibility of the police to take unsafe vehicles off the road. Why should we be stuck with another annual fee to inflate the cost of operating a vehicle further? Let the police do their job and perhaps encourage them to set up more safety lane checks to get the clunkers off the roads in the first place! I pay enough already, no more please!!!!

Lyle Reiner

Gibby, that then begs the question, should police officers have licensed mechanics on site to determine what is legally. "Safe" as per mto specs?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Bobber Down

I thought they did have mechanics at safety lane inspections/checks. Then again, I have never had the pleasure of going through one or sent to one either.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

uncle

MTO mechanics do the inspections at safety lane checks.

levi64

It is the responsibility of the police to take unsafe vehicles off the road. Why should we be stuck with another annual fee to inflate the cost of operating a vehicle further? Let the police do their job and perhaps encourage them to set up more safety lane checks to get the clunkers off the roads in the first place! I pay enough already, no more please!!!!

I thought that would be the responsibility of the driver.

eddylives

MTO mechanics do the inspections at safety lane checks.

I have been informed by OPP that they were licenced mechanics while going through ride programs on hwy 11/17 in the past.

We would be discussing my hot rod car and how its not stock lmao

Croat

Is this what a fishing site is now somewhere you can get people pissed off with stupid subjects like this.This is why a lot of my freinds are not coming to this site anymore .NOTHING TO DO WITH FISHING.

And its time I left to I think,if Roger is allowing subjects like this to continue Im gone too.

REALLY annual safety.Whats next you cant do your own plumbing,or carpentry.Think about it dummie!!

eddylives

Is this what a fishing site is now somewhere you can get people pissed off with stupid subjects like this.This is why a lot of my freinds are not coming to this site anymore .NOTHING TO DO WITH FISHING.

And its time I left to I think,if Roger is allowing subjects like this to continue Im gone too.

REALLY annual safety.Whats next you cant do your own plumbing,or carpentry.Think about it dummie!!

Its really just a filler in between fishing related subjects......I use a vehicle to go fishing........? lol