• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

Big Pike. Caught legally?

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

The problem with removing a fish that size is that now there's nothing to thin the herd of hammer handles. So there will be more of them, competing for and diminishing the same food source . So less growth. killing a hundred small fish has less of an effect as killing one apex predator.

That one fish could actually have a profound negative effect on that lakes reproduction.

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I agree with Ryan. It's not about the loss of the fish as much as it is the loss if th impact the fish had. Those genetics were not typical, better to let them continue on. A shame.

Foz

I like the fact that so many people on this site are educated and have experience on the subject of fishing. I also like the fact that we can discuss matters such as these on the internet without resorting to name calling and use proper language. I believe it is up to us as avid outdoors people to continue to use our knowledge to let the public know what is acceptable and what is not.

Foz

I like the fact that so many people on this site are educated and have experience on the subject of fishing. I also like the fact that we can discuss matters such as these on the internet without resorting to name calling and use proper language. I believe it is up to us as avid outdoors people to continue to use our knowledge to let the public know what is acceptable and what is not.

Lyle Reiner

yeur all just a dum bunch of rednicks who dun no knothing. that /@/&*$$@ fosh tasted grate. assjolrs

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

McGinnis_Fishing

The problem with removing a fish that size is that now there's nothing to thin the herd of hammer handles. So there will be more of them, competing for and diminishing the same food source . So less growth. killing a hundred small fish has less of an effect as killing one apex predator.

That one fish could actually have a profound negative effect on that lakes reproduction.

Ive never thought about that before! All you usualy hear is the fish is a good spawner but ive never had someone put it that way. Thanks, it makes alot of sence

fisherdude

Ya, reading that made me realize how much sense that makes and that iv never looked at it that way. Props on recognizing and putting that fact out there for others to see for the future.

Guest Ol Big Moose

Wow, let's all get our clubs and pitchforks and hunt this "meat hunter" down and lynch him. At the very least the fish was eaten and not slung up on some priks wall for bragging rights

"Meathunter" I,m sorry fellas but I fish and hunt to put meat on the table to feed my family,that's my choice as an angler and hunter to do so.

So as long as your gonna eat it poach away? How can you brag about a poached fish anyway? It's not that he kept it, it's that he illegally kept it. If it was caught legally than by all means eat, mount, do as you choose.

Guest Ol Big Moose

Not once did I say I poach to put meat on my table. I just meant that there are worse things that could've been done with the fish.

I agree. But it was poached. That's why people are upset. The poaching of a fish is worse than what you choose to do with it afterward.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Um ya. Cause without those pike we wouldn't have our bigger pickeral or bass .

Ever catch big walleye in lake without pike? there is a reason for that.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

AmateurHourAngling

That's my gym teacher

-JADEN

jiggin rap

Really? 2 pages of posts about a pike. Who gives a rip.

Hahaha. I'm with Dano on this one. Seriously cut the guy some slack. Rap

Guest cmcrawfo

We can all agree that fish was not caught legally. But I struggle with the concerns over the size of the fish, (when caught legally) I don't understand why people seem to raise concern over big fish. Similar to peoples concern over targeting select species or species during certain times of year. If the season is open, you have a valid license and the fish is caught legally why should I feel bad for harvesting the fish. I am not a fisheries biologist, but I would wager that the people raising these concerns are not either.

Some Old Guy

cmcrawfo,

You nailed it! Should be no concern at all when caught legally. But the point was, it wasn't.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Some Old Guy

Cut the guy some slack? Ok I will or would of. I would have cut him tonnes of slack if he would have cut the pike some slack! HA HA! Get it?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Apparently ignorance is a valid excuse. I'm sure he's walking around bragging about his "catch".

salmonider

Illegal period seen people charged for a lot less jmo those big old fish deserve more respect than that

Practice CPS, catch , photo, stringer.

ok, calm down I'm kidding!

AmateurHourAngling

Here's another one... So I have a walleye under the slot size and it swallows the hook..so I cut the line and release it.. A few minutes later it flops up on the surface and after a few minutes of thrashing..dies. I keep it for not wanting to let it go to waste.. Good or bad. (Just a question cause I've released a lot of fish after cutting the line to have them die within 5 minutes)

-JADEN

I also think if its happening that much you should change your tactic/lure. Switch from live bait if need be.