• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BryanT

Making My Own Spinners

Guest BryanT

Hi, I decided to start making my own spinners for pickerel fishing. Do the beads necessarily have to be round beads? I have a TON of diamond shaped beads at home, and was thinking of using those instead.

Thx

brookiebuster

Ive never tried diamond shaped beads. I've used round and the multiple sided beads (forget what they're called). I mostly use the round ones because they work and they're cheap as well. I usually use chartreuse or red beads. I use Colorado style blades most the time in gold or other colours depending on water clarity.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

brookiebuster

I've use ones similar to those but they were round not diamonds. They would probably work good. Those multi sided ones reflect a lot of light.

Guest BryanT

ya thats what I figured, they would be great for light reflection. Thx. Should have done this ALONG time ago. So simple to make

brookiebuster

Simple and cheap. It's nice to experiment with different bead/blade combos to see what works.

RH.

When you go to buy your spinner attachments, get the white ones that allow you to remove and attach different spinners without cutting the line to put a new one on, they are great for experimenting with different spinner colors or sizes

Bobber Down

Quick change are the way to go. They make life a lot easier on the water. Only issue (and its a small one) is once in a while if you use large blades the heavy thumping may cause the blade to pop out. Doesn't happen lots but has happened.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Lyle Reiner

Bryan, tell Jeff to stop trolling and start jigging ;) lol

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest Munshaw

Go to that little store behind home hardware on 11 th. super cheap beads in tons of colours/ sizes. You can also pick up some stuff for bedazzling your fishing vest while there!

RH.

Go to that little store behind home hardware on 11 th. super cheap beads in tons of colours/ sizes. You can also pick up some stuff for bedazzling your fishing vest while there!

I beleive that place is called jangles

Some Old Guy

Munshaw....... I started laughing......

I think I may bedazzle my life jacket! Nice red and pink bead things on a dark blue life jacket.

I GOT'S DA FEAVER!!!!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

TroutHunter

im kinda wondering how u guys know what bedazzling is... :P

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Some Old Guy

Ummmm Hmm I saw it on tv! Yeah, I saw it on tv!!!!

Roger

Lyle Reiner

You've clearly never been in Rogers boat. Everything is bedazzled lol. Like more sparkly then a bass boat...

• Like 1

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Bobber Down

Humm. I thought Rogers boat was a truly functional work of art.........but I had my sunglasses on.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Foz

I;d like to make my own spinners too. What kind of knots should be used to attach the hook and what kind of knot for the other end?

PRO V

I deal with Luremaking.com i buy all my stuff from theses guys, and they also have an on line cataloge on making many different lures & knot tying.

Mike

Some Old Guy

Foz,

I snell my hooks. Keeps the hook in line and reduces spinning that causes line twist. (Though I don't make many of them anymore......)

Roger

brookiebuster

When I tie my hook on I use an improved clinch knot. It holds my heavy line good (I use 20-30lb mono or fluorocarbon for spinners). Then I use a non sliding loop knot for the loop end.

dukesnider

I also use www.luremaking.com and have not trouble with any orders I have placed with them and delivery time is great.

Lyle Reiner

The Palomar is also one of the strongest knots for fishing line, whether its mono or braid

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Foz

What pound test of fishing line would be recommended for tying spinners? Also, what brands seem to work the best?