• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
spindilla1

Stream/River Etiquette

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

All fisherman regardless of species, technique, or location all deserve equal respect, from everyone. There is no magic fish that is better than the rest, there are simply preferences.

kbrest

Agreed. Met several fly fishers, some new some veterans, also met a couple veteran steelheaders and I have never been told to F off. I've gotten good tips and advice and learned a lot. I do agree that there are elitists out there but like FWF said, you shouldnt try to generalize. These "rules" or "guidelines" are basically just basic courtesies that fishermen offer other fishermen on the rivers, and on lakes. They really are pretty easy to follow, some are just common sense. Like holding a door for somebody when they are right behind you etc. If you don't want to use them as a guide line, then don't, but don't complain when people get upset with you either. If you got told to F off while out there, it sounds like it wasn't the other fishermen who were the problem....

• Like 1

spindilla1

And that is exactly what the Duck was referring to...

Why is that a bad thing?

spindilla1

and the people online brookiebuster....

You are one of the people online too.

And your friend in the above post.

spindilla1

Coming from a city of about 8 million people online resources help people understand the what to do and what not to do when you hit rivers so you don't piss other people off. Lyle I agree with your stereotype but not all steelheaders are like that, at least majority of the people actually say hi to you up here. Down south when you hit the rivers people look at you like your the plague, never mind saying hi.

And Majority of the time down there there is people in your spot, you guys got it good up here, I'm thankful I live here and don't have to put up with the drama that comes with river fishing elsewhere (Vancouver, Seattle, Toronto, New York, Chicago, Milwaukee). Believe me if you saw what I saw on certain rivers elsewhere you would be thankful too, Tbay is awesome!

Anyone who agrees Tbay is awesome should hit the like button!haha

• Like 2

Guest scavs

Honestly Lyle as a fly fisherman and river addict I sadly cannot disagree with your statement either , many vets lack tolerance for new comers or anyone who dare walk upon their favourite section of water. But, on the other hand look at people like John George (mentioned), I've never encountered such a willing person. It's people like him that pass on the proper traditions of fly fishing and river etiquette. There are many more like him. It seems there is no middle ground with fly people, either the ***holes you described or the outgoing friendly type (imo). Some people forget that they are recreationally fishing.....for fun.

Guest scavs

It's funny you say that regarding appearances cmcrawfo, I've just upgraded myself from a bush jacket and crocs to simms and have noticed this too. This goes hand in hand with sports as well, kids out there with a 300$ stick as opposed to another kid with a 45$ stick, who's making the team?

Guest brookieslayer

it wasn't that being online was the bad thing while on the river... what is bad is posting on a public forum what is happening at that moment in a river, on a lake or what you were just given a tip about. Some of the people out there just don't understand that the peace and quiet, the river and the time with friends, old and new is sacred. Please "take what the river gives you" no matter what that is and share your successes, triumphs or failures with a close trusted friend. Don't invite the whole world to that exact place and time just because we all have the ability to do so. Also if anyone here is looking for some flycasting instruction, I teach casting and I don't care what rod you own, what you dress like or whether you can talk the talk. I will help you out, and so will any of the people I hang with, instead of being paid, we may ask you to make a donation to a conservation organization( i.e. like a membership fee) such as the NSSA, or the TBMFA, but likely not...

spindilla1

it wasn't that being online was the bad thing while on the river... what is bad is posting on a public forum what is happening at that moment in a river, on a lake or what you were just given a tip about. Some of the people out there just don't understand that the peace and quiet, the river and the time with friends, old and new is sacred. Please "take what the river gives you" no matter what that is and share your successes, triumphs or failures with a close trusted friend. Don't invite the whole world to that exact place and time just because we all have the ability to do so. Also if anyone here is looking for some flycasting instruction, I teach casting and I don't care what rod you own, what you dress like or whether you can talk the talk. I will help you out, and so will any of the people I hang with, instead of being paid, we may ask you to make a donation to a conservation organization( i.e. like a membership fee) such as the NSSA, or the TBMFA, but likely not...

If everyone took what the river gave to you there probably would be nothing in the river, sharing is caring if you leave certain people out of the loop how will they ever get the chance? If you take what the river gives you it should be a responsibility to give back in some way to the river weather it be picking up garbage or releasing fish or whatever else benefits the river.

I once volunteered for CAS and took an under privileged child that is currently growing up in thunder bay to a honey hole, is this considered inviting the whole world because he was not a close and/or trusted friend? Not everyone is in your shoes bud, I'm here with no friends, no family but I'm doing something BIG for your city and there's an issue with some people leaking info to me so I can enjoy the sport that I hold dearly to my heart? My friends don't live here and think I'm nuts because I fish so much, they just don't understand. This board is my fishing family and has been for several years so here is where I share my success, triumphs or failures. Open your eyes.........Just like Lyle said this is home...............

Your damned if you don't share, your damned if you do...you can't please everyone.

Guest Wes

Wes don't take this as a shot toward you as I have a great amount of respect for you, as well as Frank, Brent Richards, John George, Gc, Terry and other members of the NSSA.

How could I? I'm good people! no worries

Oh and last time I checked, Gold and Bronze are worth way more than chrome and steel, just sayin

All in the eye of the beer holder.

Wes

Castnblast

Most folks I meet on the river are very civil and happy to chat.....sometimes reading people can be just as important as reading a river.

-------------

Agreed... and that goes for the launch, the lake, the fish cleaning house, the line up at the grocery store and of course the river.

Really, it is about common sense and courtesy. Tho common sense and courtesy can often be over shadowed by exuberance and excitement, especially by younger inexperienced anglers who are just pumped to be on the river. And that is cool too - it's just part of the learning experience. End of day, the most important thing to bring to the river or any place that you may encounter people sharing a public space or resource would be common sense and courtesy.

Lyle, it's too bad you are bummed out on fly guys and steelheaders, because it is obvious from your involvement on this board how much you love to learn and fish. Geeze, if you think fly guys are elitist, what do you call those crazy bass nuts with all the fricken goofy logos and stickers all over their gear?

Just kiddin, really there is sooo much satisfaction and enjoyment to be had fishing fly gear you should give it another go. i am not a great caster, but i can fish, and can get you moving in the right direction. Lets head out, i could care less what type of rod you fish. PM me.

Anyway, the way i see it - the reason the written, un-written code that needs to be re-wrote is so important to river guys is because - anglers often have to share concentrated sections of water. Fish congregate in certain areas, people know it, bears know it, there they gather, come into contact with one another and / or personalities and angling methods collide. Conflict is often the result.

This happens in our neck of the woods even more so because many our streams are high gradient rivers that drop quickly as they enter Lake Superior. That means our rivers lack the long sweeping fish holding runs like those on the west coast, and the salmon rivers on the east coast. Not always - but often, our fish hold in tight, specific spots like the base of drops, short runs, small pools, and chutes etc. So alot anglers (myself included when i was younger) in our area will race to a spot - and "park and pound" a hole all day - and look cross eyed at any other guy that wants to get in and fish. Many anglers in our area have not been exposed to angling circumstances that call for an organized and respectful approach to having multiple anglers work a section of river. Because our rivers do not lend themselves to that type of approach.

That said, if there was one thing that i wish someone would have told me 40 years ago is - cover water. Move. Fish through a section and keep moving. You will learn to read water and become a far better angler if you explore, hike, adjust to and fish different water types rather than rolling into the tressel pool and throwing anchor for the afternoon. Many times i have tripped over pods of active fish that were not in "typical" holding spots because fish were on the move.

Also some guys who are experienced feel that everyone on the river should know the drill - and thats BS, because you need to put in the time and communicate with other people to learn whats cool and whats not cool. Then you have guys that are not experienced - and they jump into the sandbox without any regard for anyone else who happens to be playing. Thats BS too - but forgivable if he / she is just young, green and unaware of the un-written written code.

So education and awareness has to happen - and thats why this site is sooo valuable.

Alot of great posts here - and a little bit off BS too but hey it's the net.

Anyway, the site is great when used for the right reasons - and may the written un-written code of conduct continue to guide enthusiastic young anglers for years to come! lol

Guest cmcrawfo

....if you think fly guys are elitist, what do you call those crazy bass nuts with all the fricken goofy logos and stickers all over their gear?

Bahah! quote of the day!

I remember one time I casted my line over a fellow steelheaders line...this was about 4-5 years ago...I still feel bad and offered an "I'm very sorry" and he was cool with it. I immediately noticed and bailed on my drift to avoid a tangle,this is when I learned that centre pin anglers work more downstream water than a fly or spinning setup.. I have been fishing steelhead for about 6 years but am still green in the grand scheme of things for sure. I like having guidelines, none are crazy and they do help. Cheers all.

Iron Ranger

Whoa!!! That's a bit too much. Which one is you? LOL

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

canadianyanke

in your opinion, what situation is fly fishing more successful/better then traditional spin casting? Only thing I can see is when fish are rising and your using surface flies

I thought about picking up a fly rod and trying it out but i cant get over the fact that spin casting is better in almost every way then fly fishing for catching fish(numbers/sizes), in my opinion....

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Fishing is not fun when idiots are rubbing up against my shoulder on the concrete wall at current river. If I accidentally catch someone by the back of the head sorry lol

uncle

I hope to never see anything like that haha! That's intense.

Elitism at it's finest.

bigfish

in your opinion, what situation is fly fishing more successful/better then traditional spin casting? Only thing I can see is when fish are rising and your using surface flies

I thought about picking up a fly rod and trying it out but i cant get over the fact that spin casting is better in almost every way then fly fishing for catching fish(numbers/sizes), in my opinion....

you cant fish!!

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction

Guest scavs

I highly disagree (imo), theres also a certain satisfaction reached when landing a fish caught on fly gear, rather than dragging hardware. A majority of fly fishermen choose this method for the added challenge alone.

Ps: fly rod is traditional, spinning is conventional;)