• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest winston

Underwater camera for pickeral fishing

Guest winston

Morning all: Would like to buy my son an underwater camera, he mostly fishes for pickeral. Don't want the most expensive, just something reasonable. Will likely order online.

Thanks

WalleyeWayne

I've been comparison shopping also for several months now. There are the big screens / big cameras - then the mini-screens / mini cameras. There are also color screens which confused me. Not sure what kinda color there is in 25' of water....? Be intersting to read what others have to say.....

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I've used the color vs black and white and I only noticed the color green. It won't show you the red in the eye of a bass or the gold in a walleye. It seems color means black white and green. If there is a big jump in price merely to achieve a color screen id say go black and white. If you got the extra cash, go for color. Just my opinion. But I don't always have a ton of cash to drop so if I bought one I'd go highest resolution black and white one I can get in my price range.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i wanna see what others say on this too.

id like one, but i think i have to be sold on it

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

johnr

I have the FISHCAM underwater video system that I paid $89.00 [door crasher special] for at Menards about five years ago. It is very basic with a 5" monitor soft case and sun hood, 50 feet of camera cable, 12 volt battery and charger and invisible infrared camera lighting. It is black and white with exceptional imaging and a great toy. My expectations for the money weren't great but I was pleasantly surprised when I actually saw fish in 30 feet of tea colored water. I trust my sonar but I believe my eyes more .....well worth the purchase and can't really say that color or detail is an issue or reason to spend more money. Would suggest that control/direction of the camera rather than twisting the cable to get 360 degree view or some beefing up of components to work better in winter might be valuable......

arvey

I have a fish tv black & white it's basic and works good I just wish you could record what you see. it would prove to be interesting.

Adrian

I have a FISHCAM and it has a port to plug in a cable to record onto a card in a digital camera etc. It is B&W and a fish is a fish in B&W or in color. I have seen the color ones, and I think there is more detail on the B&W ones. It works great on colored water (Lac and Dog Lake) down to at least 25 ft. (that is only as far as I have tried it). The battery does not last as long in cold weather, but still for several hours, if you don't use the under water light much.

eyelander

This one looks interesting.

/>http://www.cabelas.ca/product/60262/aqua-vu-micro-ii-underwater-viewing-system?%20utm_source=site&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=13-48-52757

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Adrian

That one is certainly a lot smaller than mine (Fishcam) and others I have seen. One thing that I like about mine with the fish shaped camera housing, is that you can troll with it. Tried a couple times to set it up to see my jig and minnow, but too hard to control the jig exactly in front of the camera, but I could see fish attracted to the camera swimming around in front of it. It follows nice and straight at trolling speeds and you get a nice prospective of what is on bottom.

WalleyeWayne

The one shown from Cabelas is compact, but I thought the camera itself was too small for drift fishing. I figured any kind of underwater current would swing the camera all over the place. Also, I could see a dumb northern taking a chomp on the camera given the size of it....?

Gone8to1248

I have an Aqua-View that is Black/White that goes down 100 foot and has it's own recorder with it that puts it on a SD Chip. I've used it on Kashabowie up at Black point in 90 foot of water and was surprised on what all we could see clearly. Boat moving and current does tend to be a problem. The camera is about the size of a 5lb Blue Gill and is heavy. You can hang it either horizontally or Vertically which is nice for ice fishing down a hole. Was worth the money to me. Also great for entertaining the kids while out in the boat. Also makes a nice home security system! Who would expect a fish to be a camera hanging there.

WalleyeWayne

I looked at the one you mentioned Bernie and if/when I buy, that seems to be the best value for what I need. Thanks for commenting.

Lyle Reiner

has anyone thought of a go pro? they are waterproof to 140`...

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

WalleyeWayne

Not a bad idea Lyle....except that's a lot of money dangling down the hole compared to a $300 camera designed for that environment.

Lyle Reiner

base model gopro with waterproof case is $199

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

fisherdude

a friend of mine bought the newest go pro last year and before he even opened it I asked if I could borrow it for lakers on superior...no go unfortunately though

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Isn't the point to have a screen on the ice you can watch though? Or does go pro offer some way of viewing in real time?

fisherdude

im sure there is a way u could hook something up, but I just wanted it to see what Im oblivious to and to see if he would let me hah

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

go pro has wifi viewing real time. wifi wont go more than a a few inches under water. so it wont work in that capacity

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President