• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

milspec

Shed Traps

milspec

When is it a good time to start putting out shed traps? Any tips?

SherpaJ

There's a reason why QDMA doesn't recommend using antler traps.

milspec

QDMA?

Never heard of it. But I'd assume you're referring to traps that deer get caught in and die? Or is there something bigger I'm missing. I didn't mean to offend anyone with the post. Was just curious about the activity.

brookiebuster

Quality Deer Management Association. I tried one year in march and found my redneck antler trap 50 yards from where I put it with no sheds attached. They work if you time it out right and have the right trap. Seen a few on youtube that looked good. Id rather go out for a walk and look for them instead of trying to "trap" them. They could injure a deer if its not ready to shed.

• Like 1

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

SherpaJ

I didn't intend a negative connotation there. Skull traps often cause damage to the pedicle and skull, which result in sometimes permanent antler damage. I'd rather have an antler on the buck than a shed

• Like 1

milspec

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to tread lightly on this.

Guest Beamer

Let nature take its course they fall off when good and ready, some are early some very late and using these devices on deer that still have antlers firmly attached is not good for the deer.

scandiman

I strongly agree with Beamer and Sherpa on this one. Nature runs on its own design and should be left that way, unaltered. Best way to find sheds is train a dog at an early age to find them.

milspec

You guys got me convienced. I'm liking the idea of a dog more.

• Like 1

NorthwestHunter

I prefer to call them 'shed catchers' and not 'shed traps'…sound a lot less cruel. There ARE ways to create a shed catcher that is harmless to deer. A friend of mine came up with a design that has been incredibly efficient for him. It doesn't feature any bars or solid pieces of wood to make the antlers fall off, but rather bungee cords. Even when the antlers aren't nearly ready to fall off, the deer can still feed freely….but when they are ready to fall off it gives them that little nudge to fall where you want them. It is pictured below.

He has followed bucks for years and years with this method and has never had a buck damage a pedicle and grow a deformed or damaged rack in following years.

Paul

post-1164-0-65513500-1386548482_thumb.jp

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

milspec

Interesting set up.