• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

NorthwestHunter

Propane Heater Size for Ice Shack

NorthwestHunter

Hey All,

Im currently finishing up my ice shack, and about to order my propane heater. Ive decided to go with a direct vent propane heater, rather than a "vent-free" heater (legality and safety reasons). I am wondering how large of a heater to order, so I wanted to know what size/kind other people are running, and to what success.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Size and insulation in your shack would also be helpful.

I am currently running a test with a 9000 BTU Mr. Buddy heater to see how much it heats my 6x10 shack in one hour.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Adrian

I had a 12000 btu direct vented heater in my shack (8 X 14) and it took a couple hours to get it nice and comfy, and kept it warm in any weather we were out there (-28 and windy) A 20 lb propane tank was good for up to a week with heat and cook stove, as long as it wasn't - 28 and windy the whole time.

• Like 1

mikejson

It depends on your build... 2 inch foam board, vapour barrier and taped air tight will allow you to go small. 8x10 shack done well can have a 9000btu heater heat it from -20 to 20 in a little under 2hours.

levi64

Just go big.. Can never be too big, but you can be too small. I have a 8 x 10 and my big buddy heats it just fine through the night but I also have a wood stove that takes 24 inch logs,, total over kill but I don;t mind sitting inside with a t shirt on looking at my rods with all my windows open. If you try to figure it out to the BTU and go too small, well you'll kick your own azz. And at night the Big Buddy is on low.

NorthwestHunter

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to go with a 17,000 BTU direct vent heater. Given that direct vent heaters only operate at 80% efficiency 17,000 BTU actually will pump out 13,600 useful BTU. Go big or go home I guess!

Two nights ago I ran a bit of a simulation in my 6'x10' shack with a 9000 BTU Buddy Heater. My shack is 2x3 walls, 2x4 roof, and 2x6 floor with 2" rigid insulation all around (R12). Here are my results for inside temperature when heating up the shack from -21C;

After;

1hr = 10 C

1.5hr = 12 C

2.0 = 14 C

2.5 = 16 C

3.0 = 15 C

This test showed me that 9000 BTU wasn't enough to properly heat my shack with ease (not always running full bore).

Time to wait for the new heater to arrive so I can go fishing!!!

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession