• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TArmstrong

steelhead vid

shmanks

I am itching for steelhead my last two years have only produced about a dozen or so fish got a couple of months to go

James01

Ahhhh a Steelhead thread. The season is approaching... get your treble hooks ready! I jest...

I have been itching to tie roe bags, in anticipation for the thaw - I am guessing June, or so. Still, I am getting the itch.

I am also considering picking up a new rod for Steelhead, and I am open to suggestions. I did well last year with my regular spinning outfit - I landed approx. 37 Steelies... released all but two. But, I would guess that I hooked 5 times that many, hence the idea of a new rod. I think/believe a longer rod (my spinning rod is 6'6'') would help... as would carrying a net, which I will be doing this year. So many fish lost right at my feet.

So, what are your suggestions for a new rod... I will be using a spinning real, and I drift roe bags that I cure and tie myself (I migth try pink worms too). I am most interested in length and weigth suggestions.

Cheers, J.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Guest Wes

If you are on a budget I highly recommend the Rapala North Coast 11'6" with a centerpin reel. I suppose you could put a spinning reel on it if you have to. Another relatively new entry level rod is the Rapala R-Type. I also own one and am very impressed with it's ability to stop a hot hen intent on relieving me of my gear. Both of these rods are entry level priced but certainly are not entry level quality.

If you would like a suggestion on a CP reel. The new Rapala Classic Drift is a pretty decent entry level reel and priced accordingly. Leaps and bounds better than the Okuma crap. My ultimate suggestion would be to bite the bullet and get an Islander if your budget allows.

I am not a Rapala rep or affiliated with them in anyway, just a fan of the gear mentioned is all.

Wes

• Like 1

James01

If you are on a budget I highly recommend the Rapala North Coast 11'6" with a centerpin reel. I suppose you could put a spinning reel on it if you have to. Another relatively new entry level rod is the Rapala R-Type. I also own one and am very impressed with it's ability to stop a hot hen intent on relieving me of my gear. Both of these rods are entry level priced but certainly are not entry level quality.

If you would like a suggestion on a CP reel. The new Rapala Classic Drift is a pretty decent entry level reel and priced accordingly. Leaps and bounds better than the Okuma crap. My ultimate suggestion would be to bite the bullet and get an Islander if your budget allows.

I am not a Rapala rep or affiliated with them in anyway, just a fan of the gear mentioned is all.

Wes

Thanks Wes... I have been looking at the Rapala rods... I like the R-Type rods, and have been looking for a good reason to acquire one. I will certainly be looking at the North Coast rods as well.

I will consider the Classic Drift...

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Guest Wes

It all depends on the type of rivers you'll be fishing most. I like the 11'6" North Coast for smaller rivers like the McIntyre and smaller. It is a nice balance of stiffness and fineness. On rivers that are a little more open, like most east of Nipigon tribs, I use the 13'6" R-Type.

North Coast also makes a 13'6" which I also own, but it has a little less backbone that the R-Type. Slower moving water like the Neebing, you can certainly get by with a softer rod like the 13'6" North Coast.

North Coast also has a 10' rod. It is a great spoon chucker. I have one of these too. :) Rapala should give me a sponsorship.

As long as you have a decent reel any walleye rod will do for chuckin spoons.

There was a typo in the reel it is the Rapala Classic Drifter.

Wes

kbrest

"I am very impressed with it's ability to stop a hot hen intent on relieving me of my gear."

I love that lol.

Wes