• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Foz

Dexter lake

Foz

I used to fish this lake regularly with my family in the 1980's and early 1990's. We had decent success for walleye and the pike fishing was always good there. Last time I went there was 2004 and I only caught pike. I have heard that the walleye fishing has gotten better there once again. I was wondering if anyone has fished Dexter lately and how the fishing has been?

Guest Wes

Just in case you didn't know, Dexter is in the Wagner block and you need the land use permit to access it.

We went there last year and got skunked. It was a brutally hot day and didn't get there until about 1pm. We were in a different wagner block scouting for ducks in the AM so that's why the late start.

My buddy always does well there but I have never been so it was more for a scouting missing in hopes of a few fish. We didn't even stay past 5 I don't think.

Nice looking lake and a decent landing.

James01

Just in case you didn't know, Dexter is in the Wagner block and you need the land use permit to access it.

We went there last year and got skunked. It was a brutally hot day and didn't get there until about 1pm. We were in a different wagner block scouting for ducks in the AM so that's why the late start.

My buddy always does well there but I have never been so it was more for a scouting missing in hopes of a few fish. We didn't even stay past 5 I don't think.

Nice looking lake and a decent landing.

Stepping aside from Dexter Lake for a moment... its absurd that there exists such a thing as the "Wagner Block"... if I am understanding it correctly. We shouldn't need permits to access lakes on, what should be, crown land.

People need to get politically active. Similarly, it is wrong that the MNR closes off access roads to - seemingly - protect fly in fishing resorts. There are a number of roads North of Graham with restricted/closed access.

I have digressed from the main topic, I know. But I got annoyed when I read the "Wagner Block," just as I get annoyed everytime I drive through the stretch of land and lakes around Graham that remain lost to us because they reside in private hands (it may be the Wagner Block, I am not sure). And it pi$$e$ me off when I see gates across the road and signs restricting me from any one of a number of lakes.

I once carried a canoe for better than a mile and half just to access one of these lakes - the road was closed to motor vehicles, so I put my canoe on my back. The fishing was pretty good, and the look on the faces of the guests and employees of the lodge on the lake was priceless. I guess they didn't expect to see anyone else on the lake. Between the canoe and gear, it was a quite a carry, but I am stubborn and it ended being worth it. Honestly, it would still have been worth it had I not caught a single fish.

• Like 1

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

sinker7

In repsone to James01,

The Wagner blocks could/should have been crown land. When Abitibi put these blocks up for sale some 10+ years ago the government was going to purchase them and convert it back to crown land. However the government took too long to act on the purchase and the American company 'Wagner' stepped-up to the plate and signed the papers. The government didn't realize they had competition and tried to get Abitibi to change there mind but it was too late.

James01

In repsone to James01,

The Wagner blocks could/should have been crown land. When Abitibi put these blocks up for sale some 10+ years ago the government was going to purchase them and convert it back to crown land. However the government took too long to act on the purchase and the American company 'Wagner' stepped-up to the plate and signed the papers. The government didn't realize they had competition and tried to get Abitibi to change there mind but it was too late.

So, I am assuming it is a Wagner Block that I pass through around Graham... I had an idea of the process that put these blocks of land in Wagner's hands, I just don't believe they should have the land - nor should Abitibi have had exclusive rights to the land.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Foz

Are the other lakes up this road in the block too? Lakes such as peterkin etc?

fishman1

In regards to the original post. Fishing has dropped off significantly since the landing was upgraded ,and therefore making the lake more accessible .

And yes, it is a crime that OUR land was sold to an American company and we as Canadians now have to buy a land use permit to access OUR country.

Retriever

Wagner purchased the 8 blocks for sale from Abitibi in 2005 for $55 million. The 8 separate blocks that Abitibi originally purchased from Grand Trunk Railway in 1954 go from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout. When Abitibi held the land they also charged an access permit. I think I paid around $50 for a yearly permit back then. As was mentioned by Sinker, the MNR dropped the ball and Wagner acquired some great forest timberlands, roads, plantations, etc. for less than $130/acre.

We still have access to the areas for fishing and hunting. The fee helps maintain roads and provide recreation areas. Although its not free access Crown land, it could be worse - other Canadian forest companies with freehold land block access.

Foz

I remember my dad having a permit back in the day. Any idea of how much the permit would cost now and is it a one year permit or permanent?

Retriever

2014 Permit fees from Wagner web site.

Daily Year

Individual 17-59 age $15 $65

60 + 10 50

Family 17-59 20 90

60 + 15 70

These are resident fees. Non resident are a little higher.

Foz

So each person that would be going on the fishing trip or using the road needs the permit?

Bunnyfoofoo

if it is on crown land that i can get to through the woods or plane drop (not someones land unless i get permission) im going that is why i pay for a fishing license, i phoned the m'n'r and they said if i can access it and it is on crown land unless i have to go threw owned land i need permission to do so but other than that if it accessible (meaning if you can get there to fish it ) fish it.

my understanding of it

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Guest Splitshot

I have fished dexter every year for the past 3 years and have done very well but not all the time. Some trips got our limits and others I have got skunked. Weather was a big factor in how the days was as in many cases and lakes. Past the island there is a lot of rocks that you can't see. I've always ran down the lake to the left of the island and never thought twice untill i trolled it one day and discovered a rock just below the surface on the fish finder right where I run full out. The water is soo dark u couldn't ever see it right on top of It.