• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Steelheader Lingo.

Some Old Guy

What do these mean?

Loogan?

I went 3 for 8?

Flossing?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

fishman1

Logan - hooligan

Went 3-8 hooked 8 landed 3

Flossing - the guys that float fish with 15 feet of line under their float, the line enters the fishes mouth but the hook is 10 feet away, setting the hook slides the line thru the fishes jaws until the hook embeds itself in the fishes face.

gsambray

Wouldnt flossing be foul hooked as the hook isnt in its mouth?

Zackcorbin1401

Flossers are anglers who use the method of "bottom bouncing" to catch fish. Their catch is mainly from the salmon species.

Flossing is a controversial method, regarded by some as an unsportlike way of harvesting fish. It is also called "bottom bouncing", or "lining". The method employed uses leaders of between 10 and 25 feet (3 and 8 metres) with a 1 to 4 ounce (30 to 115 gram) lead weight called a "Bouncing Betty " (named after a lethal landmine first used during World War II). Due to angling regulations in British Columbia, Chile, Peru, and Argentina, hooks devoid of any dressing (whether artificial or organic) are illegal.

To work with this method, fishermen often tie on long strands of green or orange wool or Corkies to their hooks. The technique of bottom bouncing is to position the long leader so that it flosses itself through the fish's mouth. The hook attached at the end of the leader then usually pierces the fish's mouth from the outside in as the weight pulls the line downstream. The fish is snagged in the mouth, this is considered by some to be unsportlike. Bottom bouncing is commonly practiced in the summer months on the Fraser River, when sockeye and chinook salmon run upstream to spawn.

gsambray

Id rather not catch than catch by that method.

kbrest

Incorrect zackcorbin. Bottom bouncing does not automatically turn an angler into a flosser. Incorrect and innapropriate to paint people with the same brush.

Although some guys rig there set up to purposely floss fish, I use my fly rod and a bottom bouncing technique using slinky weights. I used to float fish and loved it but personally I have now had more success with bottom bouncing slinkies. IF done correctly, and the correct weight used it is very effective and IF done correctly the eight itself bounces on bottom BEHIND my egg or fly and the fish sees and TAKES the fly. Not once have I hooked a fish in the face or outside the mouth doing this, not once. In fact, at times when water is lower and clear And you can sight fish I have been able to watch fish move for the egg fly or nymph drifting correctly ahead of the weight. The method of bottom bouncing is not the same as intentionally flossing. Like I said of done CORRECTLY the weight does not pull your hook behind it, it bounces bottom and the weightless fly drifts AHEAD of it naturally just off bottom if your tippet length and weight are matched to water conditions.

• Like 1

fishman1

Bottom bouncing with a 12 -18 inch leader is totally different than a 10 foot leader. Zach nailed it on the head with his summary and was not speaking of the short lead bottom bouncers.

Guest Wes

I have to be careful not to paint everyone with the same brush here but her goes...

Loogan:

Usually wearing an old faded black and red bush jacket, some form of Nascar ball cap, chain smoking Export Greens's.

Gear normally used by this guy/gal is some form of Rapala or Daredevil. If he/she is somewhat familiar with steelheading then they'll have a giant red and white bobber and lobbing it into the pool like a bomb. Spooking every fish within 40 feet. Then after about 45 minutes of this he/she gives up goes to Tim's to meet the rest of the skidoo racing team. Leaving behind all his/her daredevil packaging, empty beer cans, and 48 meters of 7 years old 45# Stren.

Having put on his/her waders at home they aren't wearing pants, just Long Jonhs. They don't care, they go anyway, it's not the first time.

I went 3 for 8:

They must be a loogan because they don't have a clue what they are doing. (I've done worse than this ;) )

Flossing:

Covered by a few others already.

kbrest

Fishman1.

I was referring more to the statement "flossers is a term for fishermen who use a bottom bouncing method"

Not correct.

The method described (google search cut and paste) is however bang on how loogans utilize flossing.

Guest Wes

Sitting back puffin on a dart and havin' a couple pops, waiting for last nights Monster truck derby to download and I got inspired by this thread.

I'll do this a la Jeff Foxworthy in the context of Steelhead fishing.

If you bring a large tackle box down to the river and it also doubles a beer cooler, you might be a loogan.

If you catch Salmon, Perch, Pike, Walleye, Carp, Suckers, and Steelhead all with the same rod, you might be a loogan.

If you brought a white bucket to the river, you might be a loogan.

If you use any form of mechanical clip on "bobber", you might be a loogan.

If you are purposely flossing fish, you might be an a$$hole, but most definitely a loogan.

If you also wear your waders half way down your rear end so we can see your boxers, you might be a loogan.

If you place your Tim's cup on a small tree thinking it's OK because it's a decoration, "Hey Loogan, Christmas was 4 months ago, clean your crap up"

If you wear a Fishbum Steelheader jacket, it's quite possible you are the best angler on the river and definitely NOT a loogan.

If you wear said Fishbum jacket to a wedding, you've been looganized.

If the angler wearing the Fishbum Steelheader jacket is catching fish and you are not, but you think if you go stand right beside him, you will, you might be a loogan and you may go swimming.

If you use custom graphic floats made by Wes Bender, have a look around because you just may be the coolest angler on the river and definitely NOT a loogan.

The above becomes NULL and VOID and you are a loogan, if you say that you made the float. :)

Now for some none fishing related scenarios:

If you read my previous post in this thread and said, "HEEYYYYY!" in a disappointed tone, you might be a loogan.

if your muffler is routed through the box of your truck, like a big rig, you might be a loogan.

If you have a Monster Energy drink claw marks on the back window of said truck, you might be a loogan.

If you think Jeff Foxworthy's style of comedy is funny, you might be a loogan.

But I digress...

Wes

TroutHunter

I was curious as to what a Flosser was so i YouTubed it... This guy sums it up nicely in my mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY2I-pyKuuU

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Guest Wes

If they were at the river, then most definitely. Otherwise they are just out for a rip bud.

Hey, I vaguely remember starting a different thread, a year or two ago, in the same Jeff Foxworthy style. Crap! I may be a friggen loogan.

Wes

AB

I was curious as to what a Flosser was so i YouTubed it... This guy sums it up nicely in my mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY2I-pyKuuU

Interesting, The Chilliwack / Vedder river system. I fished it a lot in the mid 80's. Won't fish it anymore. Any loogan with a smart phone can check the fishing reports and it ,makes combat fishing seem like a vacation faster than you can hit "send".

The guys in the video are flossing fish. But a 12 to 14 inch leader is misleading. You need to understand the rig they are using out there before you compare it to the rigs we use on the great lakes.

On the west coast, you often run a "Dink Float" - 4 to 6 inches of neoprene or closed cell foam that looks like a.......

Down from that, you put a chunk of pencil lead, (1 to 5") to get your terminal tackle down in the flow. The lead is threaded through the mainline, and is checked by a bead and barrel swivel.

Tied to the barrel swivel is the leader - tied to a hook. You can run roe, or corkies and wool etc. The leader could be 12" or up to 36" depends on what the fish are telling you.

The main thing that identifies these guys in the video as flosser's is the speed of the current, and the water clarity. There is no way a fish can see the offering and react to it before it goes by. open mouth to breath, pick up line in teeth and pow! instant hook up as the lead slams the flank.

Here on the nor'shore, a 12 to 30" leader is not an indication someone is flossing fish.....and BTW, a good flosser can use slinkies, floats or fly line.....its not a gear dependant technique.

iceman

Guest Wes

Interesting, The Chilliwack / Vedder river system. I fished it a lot in the mid 80's. Won't fish it anymore. Any loogan with a smart phone can check the fishing reports and it ,makes combat fishing seem like a vacation faster than you can hit "send".

The guys in the video are flossing fish. But a 12 to 14 inch leader is misleading. You need to understand the rig they are using out there before you compare it to the rigs we use on the great lakes.

On the west coast, you often run a "Dink Float" - 4 to 6 inches of neoprene or closed cell foam that looks like a.......

Down from that, you put a chunk of pencil lead, (1 to 5") to get your terminal tackle down in the flow. The lead is threaded through the mainline, and is checked by a bead and barrel swivel.

Tied to the barrel swivel is the leader - tied to a hook. You can run roe, or corkies and wool etc. The leader could be 12" or up to 36" depends on what the fish are telling you.

The main thing that identifies these guys in the video as flosser's is the speed of the current, and the water clarity. There is no way a fish can see the offering and react to it before it goes by. open mouth to breath, pick up line in teeth and pow! instant hook up as the lead slams the flank.

Here on the nor'shore, a 12 to 30" leader is not an indication someone is flossing fish.....and BTW, a good flosser can use slinkies, floats or fly line.....its not a gear dependant technique.

iceman

THWACK! bullseye.

As a float angler I often run anywhere from 30" to 6' under my float depending on the depth of the run. Mainline -> shot line -> leader. Leader is never more than 12". A good indication of a flosser even with a similar setup is the side sweep hook-set in a run where there is no reason to be using the side sweep. Having said that some runs have way too many trees and a side sweep is your only, albeit highly ineffective, option. So this is not the golden rule but could be an indication. The only way to identify a flosser is to watch them for a bit.

There is one run on the Mac that has lots of over hanging trees and a normal hook-set and a miss usually decorates those trees with my tackle. It is also narrow enough that I can't wade out and get directly behind the float so the side sweep is employed and I think I land 65% out of that run. Just the way it is.

Wes