• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest farrell

small game shotguns

Guest farrell

hey guys im looking into a shotgun for small game (grouse and rabbit) and i was wondering everyones opinions and advice for getting 1. i cant decide between a 20 or 12, and i have a limited budget. So far im leaning toward a break action single. Any ones opinion is appreciated.

thanks Farrell

Guest canuck

Everyone will have an opinion for sure....I have been successful with a .410 for years on both.

Shane

ralphthedog

I'm also a .410 user, but my I've always wanted a 20 guage. The .410 is nice, because it's a little lighter weight, but the 20 has a bit more 'ooomph' to clear some brush if needed. A 12 guage, in my personal opinion, is too large for grouse or rabbit, but it would be a good purchase if you ever want to go ducking one day. Maybe look for a .410/.22 over under...

Guest Patch

Since you say you're on a limited budget, I think a 12 gauge would be your best bet. I'm pretty sure the shells are a lot cheaper than .410 and 20 gauge. As for a 12 gauge being too big a gun for grouse and rabbits, I'd suggest using smaller shot 6's or 7 1/2's for grouse, and rabbit can be pretty tough, use 4's. Just my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you purchase!

crisop

buy the 20 guage, i bought one from D&R last yr for a little over $200, it's a rossi singe shot break action and the shells are the same price as a 12 guage. i'm pretty sure thier 5.99 a box a walmart or canadian tire. i like it because you can clear brush if need be and it'll hit the bird every time

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest Wes

I say bigger is better. a 12 guage is giving you more BANG! for your buck. What I mean by BANG is you will be able to shoot almost anything with it. You may spend slightly more, I am not sure but I do believe shells are cheaper than 20 guage. I know for sure they are cheaper than .410.

I use #4 pheasant load for grouse. It works great for opener when the leaves are still on. If your a good shot then there is no worry about destroying your target. Very few injured targets. Something I hate is killing a bird with a #4 then after cleaning it I find all kinds of #7 or #8 shot with green infection surrounding them.

Then you have the option to put in #1 or 2 steel for waterfowl.

Get a deer tag and throw in a slug and away you go. Something I don't do personally.

just my 2¢

Guest Big Moose

I'll start by saying I own one of each of these shotguns and have owned them for quite sometime.Now here's my two cents!!!Are you ready?

The .410 is more expensive for ammo but a great gun for birding and rabbits,Slugs can also be bought for the .410 but a bit useless for pretty much anything if you ask me.

The 12 pipe is much more versatile for hunting anything from grouse to deer or offing a problem bear (something we don't have around here though)And yes I've used my 12 pipe for deer at very close range it worked very well at 6-10 yards.It was a clean,fast kill no muss no fuss just a quick death and as mentioned you can hunt duck or geese also.

In my opinion go with the .410 if all your going to hunt is birds and rabbits but if you want versatility go with the 12 pipe I wouldn't bother with the 20 ga. as there for ahh well wussies (crisop) I guess you could say......

Good luck with what ever you choose.Cheers

Guest TerryK

Owned and used all three. The .410 was my staple for many years and it was very effective in most situations. The 20 gauge was every bit as good (if not slightly better) especially for flushed birds. I didn't like the 12 gauge. I found it was too much shotgun for grouse.

Guest farrell

thanks for the advice guys, I checked out a 20 gauge break action and it was $189.00 so thats what im leaning towards. but i also found a 12 gauge for $200 which looks promising.

Farrell