• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Reiner

Fall salmon run

Guest Hauntedyards

I spent the day fly fishing with the Minnesota Steelheaders Assoc for pink salmon down on the Baptism River. Covered a mile or so from the mouth to the terminal pool falls and... there doesn't seem to be a run. Head scratches all around. Caught a baby steelhead (on the Poplar River) and a 10" rainbow (on the Baptism). No one seems to know what the problem is.

Guest avis

Superior had a strange season this year. I wonder if the late Ice and cold temps could push back the run date?

Tj420

Well figured i post report my fishing at nip river. Bin there three times so far. First trip only caught one ,second trip nothing. Thrid time was the best. Took home two and lost three. Usaully hit or miss

post-7717-0-52344600-1411988211_thumb.jp

post-7717-0-49845600-1411988312_thumb.jp

post-7717-0-88669500-1411988446_thumb.jp

Thefishleclair

None in the current river yesterday.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

crazyctr

How's the wolf?

a few showing up now but nothing to write home about yet

hbaits.jpg

AmateurHourAngling

Any updates on the mouth of CR? And what is the limit for pinks?

-JADEN

Bullshark

Yup 5, any combination of coho,pink,chinook.

Probably part of the reason why there are hardly any this year.

I saw my first 4 pinks yesterday, and I've been fishing 3 times per week since the beginning of September.

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

flybum

Probably part of the reason why there are hardly any this year.

I saw my first 4 pinks yesterday, and I've been fishing 3 times per week since the beginning of September.

I saw many people in 2012 (the last prolific run) at the wolf casting big cranks and spoons just to "catch" a salmon for the roe... THAT, in my mind has a HUGE part to play in the lack of salmon this year, and in the years to come, I don't doubt!

I went to the wolf on Friday, saw maybe a dozen, caught none. They're all moldy already.

Guest Hauntedyards

They only live for 2 to 3 years depending on the sterile Lake Superior effects on their evolution. There has been hardly any returning pink salmon anywhere from Duluth to here this year... Why seems to be a mystery. Since they were introduced to Lake Superior (from the Current River!) in 1956, there hasn't been a year this bad. In 1979 the population peaked and there hasn't been a year like that one since. I suspect it has little to do with over harvesting and more to do with the ridiculously cold winter last year and other environmental factors. No one even thought they would survive at all and considering the short life cycle they should evolve as a species quickly. I think they'll be back.