• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Thefishleclair

Rabbit

Thefishleclair

Now that big game is over who is going after rabbits? Once the temps let up ill be out looking for some.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

ghart

likely be setting a snare line this weekend if the snow holds....

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Thefishleclair

Yeah. Ill be running a snare line out on my trapline. I was looking at a spool of wire today. But that will be after the fur trappin season is over.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

ghart

Cats love stealing my rabbits .. wish someone would trap them

RH.

I have been setting snares since november and have done very well, predator population is down in the area i am snaring

Thefishleclair

Out on my trapline the cats are targeted as well along side my marten boxes. Hope to thin them out before i run my rabbit line

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Mr. Canoehead

Didn't set any snares yet, waiting for deeper snow.

ghart

Yes, varying hare.... with wire/guage restrictions and no more than 10cm hoop.... DO NOT set anywhere where there may be house cats, and bigger wild cats/foxes will clean out your snares if they're around. Snare wire is available as snare wire (expensive) or as brass wire at hardware stores.....

Mr. Canoehead

Only time i ever had a rabbit taken from snare i found a paw left in the snare so the sounds of a struggling rabbit must have attracted the wolf that got it. But even then there were 2 other rabbits within 5-10 yards of that one and they were left undisturbed. And i leave them out there for up to 5 days. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's not something I would ever worry about.

James01

I have lost rabbits to a Lynx... but I liked seeing the tracks - and at least one time they were very fresh, and there was fresh blood on the snow and on the tree I had the snare fastened to. I think I spooked it (the Lynx) that time. Unfortunate, as I would have liked to see it.

I have noticed that Canadian Tire and DNR both sell stainless snare wire. Be warned that the hunting regulations stipulate only brass or copper wire be used, and of a specific gauge. I pointed it out to the fellows at DNR and they were responsive to the news, and up until that point unaware of the regulation. I guess it is up to the sportsman to be aware of the regulation. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Thefishleclair

I went out to my trap line and saw many tracks. Heading out for a 4 day trip and will be deploying snares of all sorts for Rabbit, Lynx, Fox and Wolf. Going to give my 16 year old daughter the lessons needed to catch rabbits, She hope to shoot a few in the process as well. Fishin, Huntin and trappin!

I did manage to go for one rabbit hunt off the Wolf Tree trail roads. Saw only 1 rabbit but there sure were allot of tracks there as well!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Benji
On January 4, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Thefishleclair said:

I went out to my trap line and saw many tracks. Heading out for a 4 day trip and will be deploying snares of all sorts for Rabbit, Lynx, Fox and Wolf. Going to give my 16 year old daughter the lessons needed to catch rabbits, She hope to shoot a few in the process as well. Fishin, Huntin and trappin!

I did manage to go for one rabbit hunt off the Wolf Tree trail roads. Saw only 1 rabbit but there sure were allot of tracks there as well!

I'm not sure you're allowed to snare wolves around here... I remember hearing it's illegal. Someone here probably knows more than me though. 

Thefishleclair

This is on my trapline, I am a Licensed trapper. I can snare em.

• Like 2

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Benji
On January 7, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Thefishleclair said:

This is on my trapline, I am a Licensed trapper. I can snare em.

Did not know that. Good luck with them