• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Iron Ranger

Any Thoughts On The Phantom Drones w/Camera?

Iron Ranger

I have been just fascinated with these. I can see using one on a Pheasant hunt in South Dakota, over the lake we live on in the summer, ice fishing etc. Any other thoughts?

I know they are pricey, but sometimes you just have to.....

Sorry I cannot post a link.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Iron Ranger

Here is a picture.

post-861-0-39621600-1422415364_thumb.jpg

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

pbear

I guess it depends on where you were using it. When I was in California golfing, one neighbour was flying one while the others were discussing whether a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge would be best to end the annoying noise coming out of that drone. Personally I think it would be great. My kids have those cheap RC helicopters and we use those a lot (until they break on Boxing Day) and if those are fun, this would be much better.

fisherdude

One of my buddies has one, that he uses mostly for car meets. From what I know, which isn't much, they take a lot of practice and trust in yourself to handle and control. Especially over water. Like you said they aren't cheap but I could see your point about the pheasant hunting. They would get birds to jump for sure. And if u shoot it, atleast it isn't a beloved pet. They could also make some awesome top water bass videos id think.

Iron Ranger

I wasn't thinking of it to help flush Pheasants, just to film everybody walking and flushing birds.

Snowball

I have been eyeing these little critters up for some time. The only thing you might consider is that some day soon, with all the close calls with landing aircraft and drones penetrating the air space at the White House, it is only a matter of time before the powers at be lay a bunch of regulations on those flying these craft. I would hate to spend the money and then get to see the drone sit in a closet because of all the regulations.

My thoughts!

Regards,

Snowball

Iron Ranger

Good point regarding the FAA outlawing them. If I remember right these drones have a ceiling of 400' and a range of 1/2 mile.

The videos that I have seen are just incredible.

They operate on the GPS coordinates you input in the flight plan. If there is a problem with it while it is flying it automatically returns from where it was launched from.

If it runs low on a charge (30%) it returns also.

I will probably get one this Spring.

SherpaJ

One of my good friends, a photographer bought one early this fall and it has really expanded his business for him. Exceptional footage opportunities.

He was telling me it is already getting difficult for him to fly the thing, depending where he is due to regulations and insurance requirements!

To me, unless you have a direct purpose for using it, it's just an expensive toy; A very awesome toy!

Gone8to1248

Hmmmm maybe nice to use during the SSS! LOL