• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The_Outdoorsman

Pre Season deer

The_Outdoorsman

This fall will be my first ever year targeting deer. coming from a family who doesnt hunt its an understatement to say i dont know what im doing (LOL). I re-read through the post about tips from last fall and it will help alot but it doesnt mention anything about scouting or finding your area to hunt. So... What sort of preparations should I be doing before the season begins in terms of finding my spot?Any feedback would help a lot.

hunt or be hunted

Well personally I'd get a map of the area ur looking to hunt, get familiar with the roads in the area, what's cut blocks, pipe lines and hydro lines are around, which roads connect to each other, and ask around about a specific area, if ur gonna key in on a specific area ur deffinitly gonna better ur chances for one but it also help out with people giving you more personal information to some more specific locations to check out, and look for a spot way off the grid, the further away from the road hunters u can get the better ur chances are, now in sayn that don't go 2 miles into the bush If u don't have access to an atv or something Similiar to pull out ur animal, trust me most us here have done these things and learnt the hard way! If u have a specific area ur gonna hunt let us know, most folks on here are happy to share their knowledge in a PM message! It takes time and lots of patience but the rewards are well worth it ! Cheers !

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Drive around look for game trails. Deer will walk the path of least resistance. Using roads and trails.

If you Find good sign. Deer crap. Beds. And trails. Preferably in mixed bush. Setup and Plan to have a morning spot and evening spot. PLan to have sun at back wind in face.

Deer like edges . Whether it be Cut lines power lines 'thick alders to cedar. Any transition .

Try to hunt off the road more than a 5 minute walk. Edges/transitions are key!!.

On very windy fall days Big deer move early. Do not pass up these days!!! Get out at 5 sit till dark.

Hope this helps

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

The_Outdoorsman

cut lines... should i focus in on fresh/new cuts or should i be looking for cuts that are a few years old?

brookiebuster

Both cuts will hold deer but newer cuts are a lot easier to see and hunt deer. Less brush. Get a good pair of binoculars and sit for a while and watch cut lines and watch for any sign.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent