• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

SHACKS LANDING

Sawmill Bay -- Ice shacks, new owners

SHACKS LANDING

Hello from the new owners of the property Gary McCourt used to own at Sawmill Bay.  We figure that people would want to know a few details regarding the upcoming ice fishing season. 

We have been asked whether things are going to change drastically.  We do not want to reinvent the wheel.  Everything is expected to continue pretty much the same as it has for years.  We want everyone to have the expectation that they can enjoy the ice fishing season just as they have in past years.   There will be someone on site full time to plow snow in the yard and keep the parking spots cleared.   We hope that everyone has a safe and fun season.

The other question that we have been asked several times already is regarding the fees for the upcoming season.  Please see below.

The fee schedule will be as follows:

One year ice shack storage and lake access:  $400.00 ($353.98 + $46.02 HST).

Day trip vehicles: $20.00 ($17.70 + $2.30 HST).

We hope to hear from you and we will try to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Chris, Colin and Ron from Shacks Landing Inc.

You can email us direct at:

shackslanding@hotmail.com

• Like 1

Guest clipper

wow, a 33% increase in one year, I started there 5 years back at 150/yr still worth it though in my opinion

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

congrats on the purchase guys, all the best. and Welcome to TBF!!

we will start a thread at top of page for Lac ice conditions as we do every winter. this is  where you can keep us posted regularly on weather and road conditions on the lake .

i hope you contact roger on becoming a site sponsor. we have great group of anglers here.

Enjoy

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

WalleyeWayne

Congrats to Chris, Colin and Ron (Shacks Landing Inc.) on your new business purchase. Let's hope things freeze up soon and we can get out on the ice!

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

Sent an email to you.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

BenjisGrandpa

Will we be able to use our shacks during the summer of we would like to make an overnight trip on the lake? Thanks 

Some Old Guy

just bumping up

Roger

WalleyeWayne
On 2015-11-21 at 5:51 PM, SHACKS LANDING said:

Hello from the new owners of the property Gary McCourt used to own at Sawmill Bay.  We figure that people would want to know a few details regarding the upcoming ice fishing season. 

We have been asked whether things are going to change drastically.  We do not want to reinvent the wheel.  Everything is expected to continue pretty much the same as it has for years.  We want everyone to have the expectation that they can enjoy the ice fishing season just as they have in past years.   There will be someone on site full time to plow snow in the yard and keep the parking spots cleared.   We hope that everyone has a safe and fun season.

The other question that we have been asked several times already is regarding the fees for the upcoming season.  Please see below.

The fee schedule will be as follows:

One year ice shack storage and lake access:  $400.00 ($353.98 + $46.02 HST).

Day trip vehicles: $20.00 ($17.70 + $2.30 HST).

Day trip snowmobiles/ATV's etc:  $5.00 ($4.42 + $0.48 HST).

We hope to hear from you and we will try to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Chris, Colin and Ron from Shacks Landing Inc.

You can email us direct at:

shackslanding@hotmail.com

for 3 people is an exorbitant cost. That cost structure will surely limit our trips to Lac!

WalleyeWayne

The above didn't post correctly. It should have read "The above listed cost structure was not the fees we were charged last week when we went to Lac. We had 3 people in two trucks pulling 3 snowmachines. We expected to pay $5/snowmachine based upon the above listed prices. Instead we were charged $20/truck. When I questioned the cost, the fellow told me they decided to charge $20 per truck regardless of people and number of snowmachines/quads. $40 is an exorbitant cost for 3 people. That new cost structure will surely limit our trips to Lac using this service.

• Like 1

BearSlayer

are they charging you $20 each to park your trucks or did you drive on with the trucks

manthew

20 a truck is too steep to just park your truck and sled out. Not like you're using the iceroad on your sled. Shouldn't have to pay for the road if you're not using it.

fishergirl78

Sounds like they charged the $20 per truck to get access and drive on the road (which would have been plowed during a normal season). Doesn't sound unreasonable. Same as what Gary charged isn't it? And exactly what they posted. 

They don't charge to park, if u wanted to save the money you could have unloaded and drove your sleds. Sounds like a lot of work, and well worth the extra $.

Dont forget, we don't pay for the "road", as much as we all appreciate driving to our shacks and getting out of a warm vehicle (thank you Archie and anyone else who drops their blade on the way out, not just at their shack) that fee is allowing us ACCESS to the lake. 

3 guys could have fit in one truck if it was that big an issue.

• Like 1

hunt or be hunted

Well said fishergirl78 ! I think people forget to realize that their access to the lake is private land and if they wanted to, could shutt it all down competly and close off all access via private property 😬 Now then u would see people in a pickle ! I doubt u would see a road being plow'd and shacks towed down the river to access sawmill bay now would ya 🤔 With all these big fancy shacks and 4x4 trucks, Atv's, side by sides, snowmobiles and tracked buggies and not to mention the cost of all ur equipment to get u out to the lake, I find it really hard to complain about payn a couple extra bucks for easy access onto the lake to a plow'd Rd, and it's not like they jacked up the prices some crazy amount from what Gary used to charge.    A lot people seem to forget the maintance cost of their plow trucks breaking down and repair costs, tranny's, plow pumps and so on aren't cheap 😕 Personally I think it's a fair price to pay.                                                      I do agree with the above posts on their lack of ice information and road conditions up to date, I agree a new business venture wanting to succeed in today's world with the massive amount of plp using technology would defifintly help them out but to each their own! Cheers happy fishing !

• Like 2

WalleyeWayne

We did not drive our trucks on the ice, we unloaded our sleds, parked the trucks, and sledded out. We were in fact told we were paying for parking! As for fitting 3 guys in one truck, yes that's doable, but we cannot load 3 sleds on the double-wide trailer and put a sled in the truck box because we both have toboggans to pull behind our sleds and the toboggans were transported out in the boxes of our trucks. With Gary if we sledded out we paid $5 per sled, or $20 if we drove our truck on the ice. As per the fee structure posted above, I would suspect that the only way I would pay $5 per sled is if I rode my sled there without towing it on my trailer. Bit of a long haul from Thunder Bay by sled!

• Like 1

BMAN84

that is rather unfair that you have to pay per truck and per sled! next time park your truck 10 feet from the landing on the lake and unload your sleds there.

BearSlayer

20$ to park or drive out they should specify which one it is of course we haven`t heard from the owners so we are really only hearing one side of the story as well

Some Old Guy

Maybe give the owners a chance to pipe in. If it is what it is then that's what it is or maybe it isn't or is because that's what it was...........

Roger

arvey

these guys are in business to make money . if you owned it what would you charge ? for sure one business owner shouldn't promote or knock somebody else because it could be done to you and then we would  see what would get said.

SHACKS LANDING

Hello everyone from Shacks Landing at Sawmill Bay.  Sorry for the delay in communication, we've had some issues signing in here!  Ice conditions are improving, with reports of 10"-12" past Sand Point.  Several groups have their shacks on the ice and more head out each day.  The ice is obviously "use at your own risk" just like any Crown Land would be, but several full size trucks have towed shacks to Birch Island, and even beyond.  Archie Hoogsteen has his Sugar Shack Rentals out to the Derby Site.  We've been advising everyone to please be careful.  

For those wondering why it costs what it does to access from our property, there are several components to the charges.  We need to keep the yard plowed so people can park their vehicles and offload ATV's, snowmobiles, etc.  We have two plow trucks to get this done.  If you're driving through the properties and onto the ice, it's $20.00 per vehicle.  To park, it's $20.00 per vehicle, which includes lake access with a snow machine or ATV or something similar.   

Once on the ice, it's out of our hands.  Several people have been contributing to improving the road, including ourselves.  We plan on working with Archie Hoogsteen from Sugar Shack Rentals on Thursday to plow as much and as far as we can, safety permitting.  We've also been working closely with Terry Homer to keep up on ice conditions and unsafe areas which should be avoided.  

You can give us a call at the same number Gary had, 807-986-1731 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

• Like 1

fishman1
6 hours ago, SHACKS LANDING said:

Hello everyone from Shacks Landing at Sawmill Bay.  Sorry for the delay in communication, we've had some issues signing in here!  Ice conditions are improving, with reports of 10"-12" past Sand Point.  Several groups have their shacks on the ice and more head out each day.  The ice is obviously "use at your own risk" just like any Crown Land would be, but several full size trucks have towed shacks to Birch Island, and even beyond.  Archie Hoogsteen has his Sugar Shack Rentals out to the Derby Site.  We've been advising everyone to please be careful.  

For those wondering why it costs what it does to access from our property, there are several components to the charges.  We need to keep the yard plowed so people can park their vehicles and offload ATV's, snowmobiles, etc.  We have two plow trucks to get this done.  If you're driving through the properties and onto the ice, it's $20.00 per vehicle.  To park, it's $20.00 per vehicle, which includes lake access with a snow machine or ATV or something similar.   

Once on the ice, it's out of our hands.  Several people have been contributing to improving the road, including ourselves.  We plan on working with Archie Hoogsteen from Sugar Shack Rentals on Thursday to plow as much and as far as we can, safety permitting.  We've also been working closely with Terry Homer to keep up on ice conditions and unsafe areas which should be avoided.  

You can give us a call at the same number Gary had, 807-986-1731 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Thanks for the update

perhaps in the future you can have a recorded message on your telephone line regarding ice conditions. 

In this day and age , it cant be that difficult.

T

fishman1
6 hours ago, SHACKS LANDING said:

13 hours ago, WalleyeWayne said:

We did not drive our trucks on the ice, we unloaded our sleds, parked the trucks, and sledded out. We were in fact told we were paying for parking! As for fitting 3 guys in one truck, yes that's doable, but we cannot load 3 sleds on the double-wide trailer and put a sled in the truck box because we both have toboggans to pull behind our sleds and the toboggans were transported out in the boxes of our trucks. With Gary if we sledded out we paid $5 per sled, or $20 if we drove our truck on the ice. As per the fee structure posted above, I would suspect that the only way I would pay $5 per sled is if I rode my sled there without towing it on my trailer. Bit of a long haul from Thunder Bay by sled!

Try sawmill bay resort

• Like 1

CurtisYaright
16 hours ago, Blackfootbaits said:

guess that you will have to park before the road splits and unload sleds.  I dont think that he owns the road.  Just a thought.  I will let my customers know the cost, maybe they will go elsewhere.  Open Bay???

Bruce

There is no public launch down Sawmill Bay Road, Shacks Landing has the access to the lake from there. You can though, go to the public landing off the highway and risk parking your truck on crown land and running down the river onto the lake. Many people have stopped going down the river because of unsafe ice and deep slush in the previous years.

BearSlayer

I agree with Curtis there isn`t a public launch on Sawmill bay and maybe 20$ per truck even to park is not so bad considering they could have closed it off or really jacked up the rates.I think nowadays everything is going up and that`s the price you have to pay to go fishing or just go to Metro to get fish.If I want to go I guess I will pay or sit at home and watch fishing shows and dream about spring.LOL

WalleyeWayne

All good points expressed. My main reason for posting was that the fee structure was not adhered to when we accessed the service. Going forward, we now understand it to be $20 per truck regardless of parking or accessing the lake by truck. Knowing this we can appropriately plan to minimize our overall fees. As for river access to the lake.....look at the weather people! Pay the $20 and play it safe! Good fishing everyone and thanks for your comments.

• Like 2

TroutHunter

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but how does one go about getting access through Shack's Landing via ATV/sled for $5.00? Do you have to park your truck/trailer elsewhere and sled in since parking your truck on their property costs $20?  I am unfamiliar with the area and unsure if there is public/crown land to park nearby or further up the road.  Just looking for some more detail on this... 

Thanks!  

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **