• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Monks

Predator only season

Monks

So curious. If moose numbers are as the MNR says and deer numbers continue to decline. Who would hunt a predator only season? Wolves and bear numbers are at a high and hunter numbers a low  for said predators. 

Don't involve the new MNR bear baiting regs. Just curious which hunters would actually hunt a smarter hunter than most. 

gsambray

I'm planning on some wolf hints this winter after I buy a new rifle since mnr says my 7mm mag is too big

Dirttracker18

Or just bring the wolves back under the small game license like it is in southern Ontario and how it used to be here.

The Great Outdoors

scandiman
1 hour ago, Dirttracker18 said:

Or just bring the wolves back under the small game license like it is in southern Ontario and how it used to be here.

I agree, bring it back under the small game license

hunt or be hunted

I'm already hunting them and will continue so and yes defifintly would participate in a predator season, as for tryn to have them fall under a small game licence that doesn't bother me to spend the money on a couple tags, for the amount of fuel and gear spent out hunting a couple tags ain't gonna hurt, plus wolf hunting ain't as simple as most people think, they are a very smart animal and a challenge to hunt! 

Thefishleclair

Does it say in the regs what size gun you can use or permitted to? I was planning on using my 7mm to bust up some wolves if they showed themselves while working my trapline. I think a call is in Order to find out. (update) Look Below

Snares will be deployed of course and a Bait pile placed on a new lake I have a trail into. Good little walk and see if there are any around.

Gunna need something smaller then .270 as the tech specs for it are .277 Cal, Time to look into a 243 or .204 I guess If I am going to reach out!

Firearms

If you are hunting small game in an area where there is an open season for deer, moose, elk, or black bear, you may not possess or use a rifle of greater muzzle energy than 400 foot-pounds or shells loaded with ball or with shot larger than No. 2 shot (non-toxic equivalents include steel shot larger than triple BBB, or bismuth larger than double BB), unless you possess a valid licence to hunt deer, moose, elk or black bear as the case may be. This restriction does not apply south of the French and Mattawa Rivers during an open season for deer that is restricted to the use of bows.

A person hunting small game may not carry or use a rifle of greater calibre than a .275-calibre rifle, except a muzzle-loading gun, in the geographic areas of Brant, Chatham-Kent, Durham, Elgin, Essex, Haldimand, Halton, Hamilton, Huron, Lambton, Middlesex, Niagara, Norfolk, Northumberland, Oxford, Peel, Perth, Toronto, Waterloo, Wellington or York.

Guess it will be 22MAG then riding shotgun.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Benji

Just follow the SSS rule: shoot, shovel, shut up. Sick of predators picking off my boss's animals my friends and my neighbors. 

dano

You can use what ever caliber of rifle you want to hunt wolves after bear, moose and deer seasons are finished. 

Thefishleclair

Ill ask a CO and see if I can get confirmation.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

dano

It's in the regs page 79. There is no restriction for caliber for hunting wolves in northwest ontario AFTER big game seasons are closed. southern Ontario has caliber restrictions.  

Thefishleclair

You are Correct Dano, Messaged a CO last night, He said to be mindful that what gun you are using as it may ruin the pelt (Exit hole) and that is a fineable offence. I think I will use the 7mm-08 I bought for my Daughter.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Resource Pimp
1 hour ago, Thefishleclair said:

You are Correct Dano, Messaged a CO last night, He said to be mindful that what gun you are using as it may ruin the pelt (Exit hole) and that is a fineable offence. I think I will use the 7mm-08 I bought for my Daughter.

If I am understanding you correctly, I would say that CO is talking out his a$$.  If I want to hang a tanned pelt on my wall with a 4 inch exit wound, that was taken legally thats my business.   Ask him what the legal maximum diameter of an exit wound is and where in the fish and game act it states what diameter exit hole is beyound legal.  This is laughable

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Thefishleclair

Just passing the Message, If the pelt is destroyed due to large exit then be ready to answer the questions if you leave it in the bush due to large hole that's where the fine would come from I guess.

• Like 1

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Lundy

Absolutely. Anyone complaining of no deer, declining moose numbers, too many bears, etc, should be trying to do their part. I also don't agree with taking the wolf off of small game lisence, that should have been left alone, but that's our

OMNRF for ya. So as hunters we should be doing all that we can to try and control predators as much as we can. As a trapper I try every year to take some wolf/coyote, especially since they are definitely thriving right now.  Like monks said, if you're looking for a challenge, go try and hunt the ultimate hunter. First of the year, hopefully more to come. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Thefishleclair

Good job Lundy, I hope I can match yer pic with a few of my own!

• Like 1

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

gsambray

I miss understood the regs. Thanks for clarifying the weapon size

Dale

I've never heard of an exit hole being a fineable offence, that's ridiculous! It's seems everything is a fineable offence to the Mnr nowadays! They care more about money than they do about fish and game. Sad but true. Don't be intimidated by these pen pushers. Our constitution says we have the right to forage for food, this trumps any and all of their little rules, regulations and restrictions!

• Like 1

Kaptain Kirk

Well Said Dale, Agreed 110%

Dirttracker18

FYI

Part of the proposed changes with regard to moose hunting

The following change is proposed:

• Beginning in 2017, remove the game seal requirement for wolves and coyotes in northern Ontario, allowing hunting with a small game licence. In place of the two seal limit in northern Ontario, establish an annual harvest limit of two wolves per season. Coyote harvest would no longer be limited in northern Ontario.

The Great Outdoors

tracker

Thanks for the info Dirttracker.

See posting in General Hunting for Moose Project Phase 2 for more info.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Iron Ranger

I have already shot a Coyote across the lake from us. There were two of them trying to dig out a muskrat hut. I got one and the other took off like a scalded cat. The arm of the lake we live on is narrow. It was about a 300 yd. shot with a .22-250.

So far an easy winter for the deer, hopefully the GD wolves have empty stomachs all winter long. After what they tried doing to one of my dogs, I hope the devils starve to death.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.