• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

68camaro

Lac Des Mille Lac Ice Report

DegazNutz

U figure for $400 a year and starting a new business u would have better communication with ur customers and provide daily updates on ice conditions.   If u tell people how things are maybe they would be lining up to pull their shacks out which means making $$$$$

In the past u could call Gary for road and ice updates .  These guys don't even have a phone number.   

Fail!!!

mikejson

I asked this

Has anyone been past Birch and if so do we know ice thickness and the quality?

Do you think it will be ready to go out to sand or coffin this weekend?

And was told this

Sand Point is definitely NOT safe.  We are planning on doing some testing tomorrow if possible. 

Fingers crossed 12" past sand!!

mikejson

The new owners of Gary's said they were going to try and get out yesterday to do some testing of the lake.

Hopefully they got out and will provide an update today. I am hoping the family can get out this weekend!

thebugcollectors

Any updates on ice conditions?

Slick_Jig

I was out past coffin on Saturday and measured 9 inches of ice. Lots of slush pockets between birch and sand point.   Fishing was ok, 

• Like 1

Gone Fishing

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

Foozer

The slush at Pine Point has firmed up.

we were now on about 8 inches total ice.

Still 0 shacks out, but some guys were prepping theirs to get them on the ice. 

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

CurtisYaright
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 5:37 PM, DegazNutz said:

U figure for $400 a year and starting a new business u would have better communication with ur customers and provide daily updates on ice conditions.   If u tell people how things are maybe they would be lining up to pull their shacks out which means making $$$$$

In the past u could call Gary for road and ice updates .  These guys don't even have a phone number.   

Fail!!!

Just call the old number, it stayed with the business.

986-1731

Sugar Shack

My huts are set up at coffin island now drove out with trucks there are a few more huts  at the derby site

the road will be plowed this Thursday  there is 12 to 15 inches of ice  if you go out stay on the beaten road just take your time there is still some slush out there  not much snow on the lake  3 to 4 inches   fishing has been good even some at birch    so I am open for business booking are going good    

• Like 3

icehuts.html

SHACKS LANDING

Hello everyone, there is a road plowed to Coffin Island.  There is between 14" & 16" of ice and shacks are being towed with full size trucks.  This information was confirmed at 1:30 pm January 7/16.

• Like 1

Jayfishin

Sledded out to Coffin today. Guys were plowing road to coffin as noted above, and shacks were being towed. There are quite a few slushy areas but not very deep.  Ice was a solid 16" most places I drilled. Fishing at Coffin was decent with a few nice perch caught, one ling, and some smaller walleye.  Walleye were a bit tight mouthed today. I found a 1/8" jig with a small minnow worked best. Large minnows/suckers were untouched.  Lost a rod to one lunker ;( but ended the day with a football shaped walleye about 23" closer to Birch. Lake was pretty quiet today which was nice.

Jay 

hank

Put the shack out Mon. Fishing was good but reports about ice not always accurate. Ice is still only 12" not far past Birch. Lots of cracking on the road, we need to slow down or there will be lots of slush in the future. Seen guys fly past may shack on Tues. and had water coming out my holes. Please pass on Message to slow down. Thanks. P.S. 20 km is as fast as we should be going on the ice.  

Sugar Shack

we tell lots of people to slow  down but they just do not LISTEN we are going to put a few speed bumps  on the road and then we will see what will happen when they hit them at 50 miles a hour  use the road at your own RISK  some people will never learn  

icehuts.html

levi64

You can't fix stupid

mikejson

Start taking videos of the idiots and post it here... or if you guys want, I can create a public Facebook page(like the Thunder Bay park jobs Facebook page...https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=thunder%20bay%20park%20jobs which is hilarious btw...)

It works sometimes...

Shacks Landing folks do have the right to revoke the use of their lake access as they see fit. I am certainly not speaking for them in anyway, and obviously they need to keep their business in mind in taking any sort of drastic action, but if we know who they are and can concretely ID them... could always give that info to them and see what they do.

That being said.... public shaming does work :P

hank

Speed bumps may not be a good idea, someone could get hurt and could cause the ice to crack when hit. Maybe a few signs would help at the landing, like max speed 20km, speed cracks ice. Also keep plenty of space between vehicles.

gsambray

Problems with people speeding?  Don't put a road in for a winter. Maybe it will make people think twice before speeding. 

offroader

Slap some posters up like these along the ice road!

slowdown.jpg

levi64

All those suggestions are good but..............  YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID, you really can't. These people will always be out there doing something STUPID cause they are and always will be dumb shits...

MR.SAFETY

some good points, and yes speed limit signs should be posted. In past years when I have drove on from sawmill bay I was told on several occasions by Gary to take it easy and go slow. I thought I also remember a speed limit sign posted as you came on to the lake, but I could be wrong. I thought it said 20 kms. Your right about some people who know better and still driving unsafe. but lets remember something and that is that lakes like Lac and whitefish are well known lakes around this neck of the woods and for those who might not know much about ice fishing do here about these two lakes. Why, well for obvious reasons. just about anywhere you go you here about them. Easy access, good fishing lots of people. sounds like fun. So when your knowledge is limited as well as your resources, such as gear like sleds and augers. Your gonna go where everyone else goes. People will hop in their pick up ,van car ect and head out for a day on the ice. I am not talking about the people with shacks I mean the average joe that gets out a few times a year to take his buddies or his kids fishing. There is lots of those guys too. So my thought is that these people don't understand the ice and the consequences of driving to fast. Educate people and maybe some may change their ways.I Don't think a dad with his family has it in his plan to sink his truck and put his family in danger. Lack of knowledge doesn't mean their stupid it means that some people need to be educated.

• Like 1

minnow

Went to Pine Point today. About 10 inches of ice where we were fishing. ( about 1km E of Pine Point ). Fishing was very slow. Hiked out and went through about 4 inches of slush in about 15 different spots along the way. Owner advised that a sledder advised him last week that west of Pine Point there was only about 2 inches of ice and didn't recommend going that way.

hank

Good point about educating people of the dangers on winter roads. A lot  of people don't know that a vehicle traveling on ice is creating a wave under and in front of their vehicle. That's what is cracking the ice. Garry was always reminding people to slow down for good reason. Hope the new owners at the landing can remind drivers to keep speed down. I don't mind being reminded every time I go out, as long as the message is getting out. I'm sure Mr. Wing can talk to everyone about it when checking in at the garage. .    

levi64

You really think the guys ripping up and down the lake  from their shacks to shore and shack to shack don't know they are making a wave?  These guys are there every year and do the same thing every time they drive on the lake. I really don't think any novice ice fisherman have been out on lac in late Dec early jan ripping around, someone who doesn/t go onto the ice often with a vehicle is not very likely to rip around, if they do they need to be educated, cause they are stupid.  Rose colored glasses man.

hank

Just seen the Facebook  video of the track truck through the ice. Anyone know were it went through? 

mikejson

Just got back from my trip. I was between sand and coffin in about 6-8 ft of water. Insanely slow fishing. Iced 3 Walters,  1 pike, missed at least 3 others. Only lost 2 minnows all weekend.

12 inches of good ice with some crap ice on top of every hole I drilled. Water came up about 1.5 inches which turned it into a big slush pond around the holes.

The track machine went through somewhere around poplar. Apparently he was driving right beside a track trail from other jeep track trucks that were pulling shacks the day before. 5 feet off their trail and he went through. 3 inches of ice.

They got it out yesterday and it is thawing out at Shacks Landing.