• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

pbear

Yearling Brook Trout

pbear

I'm curious about the size of yearling brook trout stocked in lakes. What size are they when they are stocked, I read that some are 15 months when released.  I realize that the growth rate will vary based on a large number of factors but am wondering how big fish get after 3-4 years?  

ghart

their lifespan is 7-8, 3-4 years after stocking they will be 16 inches to 20 inches in the lakes I fish in (Splake will be larger).

I use the 3-4 year ago stocking numbers to judge what I am going to catch.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

pastor norm

You are right.  It depends on the water flow, the food supply and the strain of trout.

From what I gather, a yearling brookie can grow to 7-8" inches and will be capable of spawning for the first time after 2 growing seasons.   Nipigon strain or natural coasters can live beyond 7 years and weigh up to 10 lbs.

I haven't really heard the story behind the triploid version of brookies (where the fertilized eggs are artificially warmed to the point where the fish will no longer be capable of reproduction).  That should increase the growth rate and average size of stocked fish...  look up the DAMSA initiative

http://www.adoptatrout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/CAM00186-1024x576.jpg

pbear

Thanks.  Just looking at some of the stocking information and wondering at what age the fish are big enough to catch and eat.