• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Grounds Keeper Willie

Stolen bait at lac

Grounds Keeper Willie

Noticed more pike than normal this year at lac. Anyone else been noticing this? Me and a bud started keeping limits of pike to fry and eat. Little bit of a hack job but not much waste. Still learning the fillet over the rib cage technique. 

image.jpg

AGGGH

Lyle Reiner

Ive noticed that over the last few years too. 

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Thefishleclair

Ive been keeping and eating the Pike too,

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

CurtisYaright

I recognise that bait! :o

They are pretty tasty in the winter!

offroader

Without a doubt. The pike have adapted to look at the hut communities as their local "smorg", and they've become very proficient at stealing bait as well. Better get used to it, and start keeping and  eating the winter pike.

RLS

We've been keeping pike for a while now, quite tasty, we also smoke them and they are amazing. 

Grounds Keeper Willie

Yup they're really good. We were going to smoke this one and another but then decided to just pan fry them. That's why we left the bellies on this guy and another. I'm starting to like the over the rib cage method a lot more than dulling my knife cutting thru rib cages on these bone infested pike! Once the Y bones are out they fry up really well!

AGGGH

mikejson

Got a video of an "over the rib cage method"?

I have hack jobber a good 10 or so and still am wasting meat... I am game to try a different method.

Iron Ranger

I have to agree Northern's aren't bad. I only keep them when the water is cold (May, June and the winter). My young bride likes to fish them in the fall off our dock or the beach (yes, she is a Finn). I duck hunt every day during the season (yes I'm retired). I come back to the dock in the late morning and she has several Pike on a stringer tied to the dock. I clean the ducks if I was shooting straight and fillet her pike. The large ones I use the backbone method and then trim the 'y" bones out. The smaller pike (that she wants to pickle to give to her fish hungry Fin friends and family) I fillet as usual.

I really enjoy seeing my young bride smiling as I pull up to the dock because I know she has a stringer full. Don't tell her that but, I'm pretty proud of her. She came from eastern North Dakota. She never saw a lake until she was 10 years old she says. Farm raised and a proud Finn.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Thefishleclair

I keep the pike that I can, Nuttin wrong with them at all once you master the Deboning. Best ones were from superior. They have a better taste by far!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Old boy 1959

Be careful out on Superior - zone 9 - slot size is in effect

Some Old Guy

Does zone 6 have a slot? Or just one over a certain size?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

BMAN84

only one equal to or longer then 27.6 inches for pike in zone 6

hank

The five part method for cleaning northern is great, have used it for quite some time. It does work better on larger fish.

As for fish cakes, or canning, perfect. Ling are also a great fish to use for fish cakes, instead of leaving for the birds.

Limit for northern In zone 6 is 4 fish, one over 27.6