• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wes

Deer processing

Guest Wes

What am I looking at paying to get an average sized deer processed? Any recommendations on where to bring the animal?

I would like chops, roasts, sausages and pepperettes.

I am just trying to see if I can afford to go on my first deer 'harvest'. Yes I meant to say harvest. Apparently the private property I will be on has a deer population almost in triple digits. The property owner wants them thinned out a little.

What better way to find out if I can kill big game or not.

Guest aanii84

Wes, if they need another hand to thin it out i can help aha. Been trying one plot recently at night and in the morning and I havn't seen anything. Times running out for me as I am leaving the area in 2 weeks, let me know if i can help aha (actually if they can help me aha).

P.S.- only if they really want it thinned out, i don't want to impose or anything, just saying i'd be willing to do it.

P.S.S.- If the cost is too much for ya right now i'd be willing to split or work somehting out as well.

Guest Wes

The property is in Kenora. My truck will take about 3 tanks there and back. Min $220. Never been on the property so I have no idea if we are walking/stalking or doing to road warrior thing. I will have to ask the rest of the gang I am going with. I think we are pretty full though, unless I decide I can't afford it then they will be short a tag or 2.

+ if it gets cold and the ice starts to form, I am not going anywhere but up the side of a cliff in Orient Bay/Kama Bay.

I'll keep you posted.

Guest aanii84

Thanks a lot Wes. I've been giong out just somewhere close to tbay now a few times but even thats getting a little expensive cause i'm alwasy going out by myself. Let me know if you ever want to get out for a try around here and want some company. I'm also a begginer so it would help to be with someone as well. This goes for anyone i guess who wants a partner or another tag in the group, thanks a lot.

Bighotdog

What am I looking at paying to get an average sized deer processed? Any recommendations on where to bring the animal?

I would like chops, roasts, sausages and pepperettes.

I am just trying to see if I can afford to go on my first deer 'harvest'. Yes I meant to say harvest. Apparently the private property I will be on has a deer population almost in triple digits. The property owner wants them thinned out a little.

What better way to find out if I can kill big game or not.

I have a couple of numbers you can call they range from 30 to 50 dollars to have the deer done up. The only thing is that we hang the deer and moose in our garage and the guys come to us and cut the animal up for us. We wrap them and he tells us what we are rapping. It is a ton of fun and you learn alot as well. Let me know if your interested and I can send you there names and numbers. Keep in mind that right now is a busy time of year for them so you might actually have to wait a couple of days for them.

crisop

wes call North country meats, they did our bull moose and it was only 150 cash.

they make anything you want and will even vacuum seal it for you for a little extra, which is well worth the investment considering i still have meat from last yr that isn't anywhere near freezer burnt

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

TANGLED

North Country Meats

Dropped off a skinned, quartered smoothhead on tues. at 7:00 pm. Picked up nicely vacuum sealed steaks and 25# of mild smokies fri. afternoon. $76. Quite satisfied.

TANGLED

Guest Big Moose

I've always done the cutting myself and just had the sausages and pepperettes done elsewhere,North Country does a great job but this year I'm doing it all Bought a grinder and a stuffer found out a buddy has a smoker big enough to do a whole quarter deer all thats left is the whiskey oh and uh I guess an animal would help.(havent had much time to hunt this season).

Guest Kenny

It use to be $0.45/lb when I use to pay for someone to cut it up for me. Bay Meats will cut and wrap but you will have to take the trimmings to someplace else (European Meats is good) to have the sausage and peperettes made.

For the past few years I have been cutting my own meat. I just ordered a DVD from SIR MailOrder, wathced it twice an went to work. You don't need a lot of room, I debone my deer/moose in the garage, put all the meat into plastic bins, keep them in the fridge if necessary and cut and wrap in the house at the dinner table. Lay down a plastic sheet or two, use the wife's plastic cutting board and I am ready. I do all my deboning, cleaning and cutting with a simple fillet knife.

I like cutting my own as it stays better in the freezer and tastes better since I remove all the bones (no bone marrow all over the meat) and all silver skin, fat, ligaments, hair and grizzle. I also bought my own grinder to make hamburger, it cost me around 50 bucks. Even my wife will eat the deer meat now, it tastes that much better.

Best of luck, Kenny

crisop

keny any good butcher in town should ask if you want bone in or out

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Thefishleclair

My Bro does Deer $ 30 deboned...You have to wrap, He has a grinder to do burger and I know he has been trying to make sausage too.

Moose I think he charges .35C a pound to cut...Same deal he debones unless you want the bone in.

You Have to take all scraps with you too, Bones and all unless you ask ahead of time

Sometimes you have to provide wrap, Depends on if other costumers have left some behind or not

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest Wes

Well the harvest was a success. I shot my first deer. a small 8 point buck. My animal wasn't the biggest but his rack had the most points.. :D

[attachmentid=278]

I figured I would have been a little more wigged out when taking my first deer. But I was alone when I shot and stayed calm, cool , and collected. The deer didn't drop when I hit it. As it turned out, the bullet busted his shoulder and it exited out the ribs missing all vitals by 1 inch. At 125 metres I figure missing by an inch, when shooting for the neck, is not too bad for me. I never got the opportunity for a boiler house shot. He stood staring at me without even moving. I am quit proud of the shot, knowing that I am a bad shot.

Anyway I picked up the blood trail and tracked him for a long distance. I ran out of light after an hour or so, so I ended the track. We got him Saturday morning. I felt really crapy Friday night and got maybe 3 hours sleep, knowing that poor beast was still alive and hurting. So now I have to get some practice at the range to avoid this in the future. Still an awesome experience and a great learning experience. I now know the importance of a good shot. Next time will be different.

We filled our 6 tags in 20 hours.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I am going to make a fews calls and lick my chops until I get my box of meat back. I think I will start with a pair of back straps in the BBQ. mmmmmm

post-337-1194840079_thumb.jpg

Guest Wes

He was standing looking straight at me. He never gave my a broadside shot. Looked like he was getting agitated with me (stomping and ear flickering). Wasn't sure he was going to bolt or not. + inexperience I suppose. I wasn't really going for the neck, more like centre of the chest, which should have taken out the vitals. I was an inch off centre to his left shoulder. Next time I will just wait and if the shot is not presented I'll just wait 5 minutes for the next deer to come out. haha There were a ton of them out. It felt more like grouse hunting with high power rifles.

Guest Wes

We ended up bring my buck and a small doe to North country meats. $60 cut and vac packed. I can't wait to get my box of meat back.

GC 54

North Country did mine and DC's button buck, deboned, ground, all packages vacumn packed and marked for $80.00.

Did an excellent job, took it in Monday and picked it up Tuesday.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest stumped

North Country did mine and DC's button buck, deboned, ground, all packages vacumn packed and marked for $80.00.

Did an excellent job, took it in Monday and picked it up Tuesday.

Hi Guys,

I am new to the hunting forum... usually on the fishing... but I have taken up hunting with my husband and this is our first year out. We are going out for deer this weekend and reading what everyone is saying I figure we will taking anything we get to North Country. My question is... should we field dress, skin and quarter or just gut it and take to them?

Thanks

Guest Wes

I am not sure what they prefer, but we removed the head and skin. This way I was sure to remove all the loose hair myself. We never bothered quartering, just brought it in whole. Can't hurt to give them a call to see what they prefer.

GC 54

I know we skinned our two deer, peeled as much of the fat/talo off of DC's deer, mine did not have hardly any fat on it at all. The cleaner you take the meat to the butcher, the clearner you will bet it back. We pick off all of the hairs as well that fall on the carcass when you skin it.

I would give them a call and ask if they skin as well as process.

Let us know what you find out, and good luck on the weekend. Remember, you can put a doe tag on a buck that has antlers less than 3 inches in length. The problem is getting them to stand still while you measure before you shoot. A doe tag can also be put on a button buck.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters