• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

BMAN84

Marina

Bunnyfoofoo

Don't know what made that injury on him looked worse than what it was, but was a great time @ the marina.

IMG_1736.JPG

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

PRO V

.............more than likely lampray.

Mike

Bunnyfoofoo
3 hours ago, PRO V said:

Mike

they get that big wow.

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Clewis
12 hours ago, PRO V said:

Mike

Probably from spawning, they get feisty...

• Like 1

James01

I think I caught and released that same pike last week... the wound looks familiar, similar size (although it is hard to tell) - same spot too, by the looks of it.

I may get out this evening - I have a new pike reel I want to try out. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

mad scientist
On 5/28/2016 at 0:32 PM, PRO V said:

Mike

Possible, but not likely.  Pike aren't a preferred prey species for sea lamprey...preferred species in Lake Superior are lake trout (~30%), lake whitefish (~20%) and cisco/herring (~20%).  The remaining 20% is "other"...and even then, given the choice, lamprey will tend towards softer-skinned prey, like longnose suckers.  

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

James01

What of the other 10% M.S.? ;) (Your % adds up to 90%)

I mentioned above that I think I caught the same pike a week or so earlier... I thought lamprey at first when I noticed the wound, but upon examining it closer I had my doubts. That being said, I have caught steelhead in the spring with lamprey still attached to them, and they are outside your 70% - i.e. not a lake trout, whitefish, or cisco/herring - nor, even a longnose sucker. Stats are often given far too much credit for what they can tell us. The most probable answer is not always the right one. 

So, it could have been a lamprey, but it did not appear to be so. Nonetheless, the pike seemed to be doing fine when I caught it. Or, perhaps better said: The pike that I caught, which resembled the one in the photo, seemed to be healthy.  

Perhaps pike don't typically get lamprey because they eat them first. The lamprey know to stay clear of all those teeth and the nasty attitude.  ha ha ha 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

mad scientist

Pike definitely eat lamprey....

031889.jpg

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

James01

After this discussion - and provided its not raining when I get home, I may have to head down to the Marina this evening. I never made it out the other evening, and I never got to try out me new pike/muskie reel. If you see some dude slinging bigger baits with a musky rod and reel, say hi.

- Henry David Thoreau

JohnZ

wish I could make it down, got some new spoons to try

James01
17 hours ago, JohnZ said:

wish I could make it down, got some new spoons to try

Yeah... I never made it down. I ended up playing a video game instead -" just one more level" turned into several hours and a couple beer.

Oh well, I will be fishing somewhere this weekend.

- Henry David Thoreau

Some Old Guy

Fish finders make for a great video game!

Get off the box and get to the docks!!!!!!!

Roger

• Like 2

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

JohnZ

Difficult for me without being able to drive,,, so xbox won that night for me aswell lol

gsambray

Ha ha I've actually have been known to be fishing on my phone while watching my float do its thing out in the water. At least I catch something when I'm out

PRO V

Over the years i have pulled pike off the break wall with the same wounds and actually landed a pike with a lampray sill attached. The pike was about 10 lbs the ray was about 12-16 inches long it had a hole chewed about half the size of my fist, have also pulled many a trout with the same scars.

Mike

James01

Well, there you go... someone has caught a pike with a lamprey attached. I guess pike are in the remaining 30% of fish that lamprey target. 

I am planning to head down to the Marina in the next few days with my big pike gear... I saw a monster of a pike last week, but could not get her interested in what I was throwing. 

- Henry David Thoreau

TroutHunter
On May 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Bunnyfoofoo said:

Don't know what made that injury on him looked worse than what it was, but was a great time @ the marina.

IMG_1736.JPG

I'm pretty sure I caught this same pike today at the marina.  I was casting a little cleo into the big lake by the foot bridge when he slammed it.  The wound on its side looks to be healing as it wasn't as big as this picture.  

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **