• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

crazyctr

black bay

Kaptain Kirk

Just wandering how the conditions are out, in Black Bay, Any Body been out there today? i was thinking of heading out tomorrow. 

Thanks KK

crazyctr
On 12/26/2016 at 8:55 PM, Kaptain Kirk said:

Just wandering how the conditions are out, in Black Bay, Any Body been out there today? i was thinking of heading out tomorrow. 

Thanks KK

16 inches of ice not much snow 

• Like 1

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr
4 hours ago, flyndie22 said:

How has the fishing been getting on any perch yet 

water is a little cloudy yet but the fish are biting

hbaits.jpg

Redline

Can someone help me with directions on how to get out there besides Hurkett Dock.

Thanks

crazyctr
9 hours ago, Redline said:

Can someone help me with directions on how to get out there besides Hurkett Dock.

Thanks

What directions are you looking for how to get to the dock or out on the bay

hbaits.jpg

RH.
10 hours ago, Redline said:

Thanks

Just take hurkett dock, there is a marked trail all the way out there and a bridge over the ice ridge

Kaptain Kirk

Thanks Gary. for The Update on The Ice. I Never Made it Out There yet. I Hope to this weekend.

Jayfishin

What are thoughts on snow conditions now for keeping sleds cool? 

Jay

crazyctr

Theres enough snow now im running mine all day with no problem 

hbaits.jpg

CountDupu

A little two cents from me on the jaw jackets.   About 5 years ago i was fishing back home with versions of those jaw jackers for laketrout. I had enough for myself and 5 other family members so 12 of them in total. We had a couple limits on the ice and all was going great..... Until we had two CO's show up and started giving us a hard time over the jaw jackers. They asked whos they were ( all jackers were mine however had let my family use the them for there lines).  After explaining that this with CO he then wrote a ticket and was trying to charge me with using 12 spring loaded lines, 10 lines over limit, and the fish caught with the lines illigally i believe there was 7 of them..... It was one hell of a charge and completely ruined our weekend on the ice. I argued with this CO for a good hour on how they are rod loaded like a down rigger and not infact spring loaded like he figured they were. Needless to say i needed to print out the laws, and purchased another rig so i could prove that i was right. I then had taken all this information too the mnr office and court too fight it. I won. They are infact legal in ontario and they had to give me back all my lines , jackets, and had an appologie from the CO. I guess the CO felt bad because a couple weeks after it all went down he showed up with 2 dozen minnows for us at the shack.  Anyways moral of the story jackers work great and are legal 

• Like 3

levi64

Has anyone been out lately.. How is the bite?  Ice ridges?  Ice conditions?

ottoman82

I was out during the day on New Years Eve.  I was with the family and it was a first time ice fishing experience for most of them.  They had a blast and we made memories as they were all smiles getting their first fish on ice.  The service and facilities were great.  Gary is a great guy and I recommend his services to anyone.  We will be back.

• Like 2

AB

Fished on Friday. Ice was moaning and groaning in the cold with new ice being added under the frosty conditions. The main ridge coming out of Hurkett is shifting around a bit. If you try and get out with a quad, better have a set of planks with you just in case. Blowing snow can quickly hide the depression / opening in the ridge that could hang you up or worse.

The parking are has also been expanded onto the ice at the mouth of the cove which is a great bonus!

Fishing is good. Lighter gear, the better you will do. The fish haven't been super aggressive and electronics have made a huge difference. Don't try to pry them off the bottom, go down to them and if necessary, just use a chunk of minnow to sweeten up a jig. Chartruese / yellow was the right color for lead jigs, green / silver Swedish Pimples with a dropper hook worked well, so did straight meat hung below a couple of split shot. Pay attention to the line, if you see it moving , check it out. Many fish would take the bait and then just hang there and you'd never know they were on the line.

Have fun out there!

AB

• Like 1

crazyctr

just to let everyone know my website is down i think i was hacked they deleted the calender of the site so just phone the house for availability and to book huts until i get it fixed up or start a new site some where else

hbaits.jpg

Wildcat

Had a great day yesterday, 50 plus fish, some nice ones over 12", thanks Gary, will be back out soon

Gerry

crazyctr

ive got the calender back on the site but its still not working up to par yet 

starting to get slush on black bay now will keep everyone posted on the conditions

hbaits.jpg

allymeagan

Hey AB, how light should our gear be? Have a shack booked two weeks from now, and it'll be our first time out there. I have lots of 1/4 oz and some 1/8, should I get more 1/8 oz? Or go lighter? 

Wolf
36 minutes ago, allymeagan said:

Hey AB, how light should our gear be? Have a shack booked two weeks from now, and it'll be our first time out there. I have lots of 1/4 oz and some 1/8, should I get more 1/8 oz? Or go lighter? 

I'm not AB but heres what we do. When we fish out there we use 1/8 ounce spoons and jigs. Sometimes when finicky down sizing may help. When they are hitting light I personally find I do the best on a Frabill thermal tip up. Set few inches off bottom with a plain hook sinker and minnow. I like to move around a bit to. I'll have my jig hole inside Garry's shack and 1 out side and I'll check it every 5-10 minutes and move it around if no action.

allymeagan

Awesome, thanks Wolf! I'll get some lighter tackle then. 

WalleyeWayne

Go with the lightest tackle and rigging you can get away with (1/16 oz jig on 4lbs test is our go-to) that will allow you to get to the bottom (usually 16-17'). Or, a small single hook with a couple small split shot sinkers. We also use ultra-light, 24", cheapo-deluxe rods and leave them sit in the butt-holders inside the shack. We occasionally jig the line by hand, but more often we just dead stick. Like AB wrote, watch for subtle movements in your rod tip (thus the ultra-light rods with minimal backbone) and don't be heavy on the hookset - just raise the rod slowly feeling for weight. If you feel weight, slowly raise the rod and start reeling slowly. Your graph will show fish on the bottom and suspended, don't try reeling up to those suspended fish - they almost never hit - stay a couple inches off bottom and wait. You can frustrate yourself by jigging off bottom and watching the fish follow it up.....but rarely bite, Again, dead stick works best! We iced over 60 perch last weekend with 50 being over 9" and 95% of those fish were hooked with the rod sitting in the butt-holders inside the shack.

Wolf
2 hours ago, WalleyeWayne said:

Go with the lightest tackle and rigging you can get away with (1/16 oz jig on 4lbs test is our go-to) that will allow you to get to the bottom (usually 16-17'). Or, a small single hook with a couple small split shot sinkers. We also use ultra-light, 24", cheapo-deluxe rods and leave them sit in the butt-holders inside the shack. We occasionally jig the line by hand, but more often we just dead stick. Like AB wrote, watch for subtle movements in your rod tip (thus the ultra-light rods with minimal backbone) and don't be heavy on the hookset - just raise the rod slowly feeling for weight. If you feel weight, slowly raise the rod and start reeling slowly. Your graph will show fish on the bottom and suspended, don't try reeling up to those suspended fish - they almost never hit - stay a couple inches off bottom and wait. You can frustrate yourself by jigging off bottom and watching the fish follow it up.....but rarely bite, Again, dead stick works best! We iced over 60 perch last weekend with 50 being over 9" and 95% of those fish were hooked with the rod sitting in the butt-holders inside the shack.

The rod tips were going crazy when out. My issue is when we leave the rods in the butt holders on the wall of the shack I can hand line and land the fish no problem. But would like to reel in the fish with the rod. If I touch the rod to get it out I most often lose the fish. Any tips to avoid this. It seems the rod on butt holder had more action vs one holding the rod. I tried one of those cheap red rod holders that go on buckets but I still seem to miss lots of fish. I started to set the hook by hand and then carefully pick up the rod to reel it in 

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP
29 minutes ago, Wolf said:

The rod tips were going crazy when out. My issue is when we leave the rods in the butt holders on the wall of the shack I can hand line and land the fish no problem. But would like to reel in the fish with the rod. If I touch the rod to get it out I most often lose the fish. Any tips to avoid this. It seems the rod on butt holder had more action vs one holding the rod. I tried one of those cheap red rod holders that go on buckets but I still seem to miss lots of fish. I started to set the hook by hand and then carefully pick up the rod to reel it in 

Try using "The Trigger" rod holder and automatic hook set.  Gary said they have been working great out there for him and alot better than the jawjacker because there are no moving parts to freeze up!  When the fish bites it will set the hook then you run over grab your rod and reel it in using the rod and reel rather than hand bombing.  

Gary has them for sale if your heading out that way in hurkett or i have some here in Thunder Bay!  

Gary would be the best guy to talk to for a review on them for perch because hes been using them out there.  

Josh

632-6572

WalleyeWayne
2 hours ago, Wolf said:

Before pulling the rod out of the butt-holder, bend the tip downwards to create slack line, pull the rod out and slowly tighten up the line by lifting the rod. If you still feel weight when you take the slack out, start reeling. I haven't used a jaw-jacker or the Trigger so I can't comment on their performance...?