• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

Lac des Mille Lacs Ice Conditions

Bobber Down
30 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Hey folks. Just looking for some clarification on yearly shack fees at shacks landing.  If your shack hasn't left shore for a couple winters are the fees still the same? And what are the new fees? Also are the fees due in January and good for the year? Any info would be appreciated. 

Thanks

A really cool thing to do would be to call them yourself and get the info first hand. The number is 986-1731

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

RatherBeFishin

Or he could just ask someone on here ...

im not sure myself as i dont have a shack there. But im sure many people on here have shacks there and would be glad to share there info :) 

mikejson

At the beginning of the year when I was paying I was told $400/yr and it doesn't matter if you pull it out or not, still $400.

When pulling the shack out, payment is due before you go on the lake. I am not sure the precise dates you pay for but $400/yr regardless if you pull makes it irrelevant... as you won't "save money" by pulling ever second year or whatever.

HTH and you can always call or email them for more info.

levi64

400 bucks a year even if you don't pull your shack out, wow

Jasmine_334

What are the conditions like, how's the slush and ice situation?

RatherBeFishin

When i was out on saturday there was some slushy spots but not that bad as there didnt seem to be a ton of snow on the ice. We sledded out from sawmill. Couple slushy spots on the rd but overall it seemed ok i think. Not sure how it is now. But that was my take as of saturday. 

Thanks for the number. Didn't realize shack info was top secret Intel. I'll try to play it "cooler" next time 

• Like 1

Tozer807

Hey I'm wondering how thick the ice/ how much slush or snow is on the ice to the right of Pine Point.

I am heading out Saturday morning, thanks!

hank

Heading back out to lac on Friday. Any report would be great if you were out after this past Sunday.It  was snowing when we left Sunday morning, just want to know if the road out past Birch stood up to the traffic of the weekend and how much snow the area got Sunday.

AmateurHourAngling

Going out in about an hour, staying the night until Thursday. Will report back when I return. 

It pays to be young and finished all my exams🤓

• Like 2

-JADEN

SHACKS LANDING

Sorry everyone for the delay of  ice conditions, road is looking good and should tighen up with the cool weather coming. Just a 4" water spot about 70' long past birch. Drive slow and save the road. Fees are $400 per year take it on the ice or not. If u never payed the previous years it will be $200 for each year. See u out there. Good Fishin"

Edited by SHACKS LANDING
Spelling
  • Like 1

Domer

Hi winds, cold temps, could not shut us down. We battled the odds and came out on top. Nice job team.

IMG_2630.JPG

• Like 1

RH.
2 hours ago, Domer said:

Hi winds, cold temps, could not shut us down. We battled the odds and came out on top. Nice job team.

IMG_2630.JPG

Where were you fishing? we rented a hut at Archie's yesterday and stayed the night and didn't get anything all day except 3 small ling we caught in the middle of the night. 

speckmaster

Roger and others have said it many times...get away from the shanty villages and you will catch fish.  

RH.

i figured that when you spend 170$ on a shack they would atleast be on the fish

levi64
46 minutes ago, reilly harris said:

i figured that when you spend 170$ on a shack they would atleast be on the fish

Yeah, you would think they'd get moved around to where the action is.  I've never rented one on Lac but I figured they would move them like Gary does on Black Bay. 

RH.
Just now, levi64 said:

Yeah, you would think they'd get moved around to where the action is.  I've never rented one on Lac but I figured they would move them like Gary does on Black Bay. 

Yea that's what I figured, never been out on lac before so I thought I would pay someone on my first time to put me on the fish but I guess it isn't that easy 

Sugar Shack

Reilly Harris sorry you didn't get any fish but fishing wasn't that great all around the lake this weekend  fishing take a little effort once in a while when you party all day and night and don't wake up  until  11 you miss the morning  bite seems like everyone else this morning had fish on the ice.  For Domer he knows how to fish and he puts a effort into fishing that's why he always get fish you have to want  IT to get FISH

• Like 2

icehuts.html

RatherBeFishin

Archie has his shacks on a solid hole i hear from many ppl. Never stayed at his shacks. But i would reccomend as i have heard nothing but good things. His shacks are sugar shacks at coffin island. 

Thefishleclair

There are fish there.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

RH.

Must have just been an off day. Had lines set the entire night and morning so we didn't miss the morning bite, but anyways thanks for the hut rental. You cant win em all 

hunt or be hunted

Sugar shacks are no doubt in a good location as well as the old derby site and when the bite is on it's on regardless of noise,  but it does slow big time from all the noise on weekends and pressure systems , I don't fish weekends out their anymore but go mid week and have found it's a total difference in numbers and quality size, now I know that' it isn't so easy for people to fish during the week do to work, but the one thing that did work for me when being a weekend warrior was to get mobile, use the shack for nightime and go explore the far ends of the lake by sled and cover lots ground and strutcture and u will find active fish, their always their u just gotta find them !!! Just like fishing in the boat, their not in one spot u keep moving till u locate them ! If u have access to a sled get further out their and explore lac, it has some seriouly amazing fishing up the lake ! Cheers !

Domer

I am going to pipe in on this once again. I have fished this lake for at least 35 years. Over 25 years on my own. The lake has seen some change over that time. When I was younger and a passenger with my family, we usually went to sand point and birch island and usually had no problems getting fish. Over the years fishermen and fisher women numbers have increased and also technology has grown. Fish numbers are not as abundant so people may think. You see a lot of shacks all over the lake some places more than others. Fishing for some people has become more of a get together with friends and other people. People have become complacent because an ice shack has all the luxury's you would have at home. Some People expect to catch fish where all shacks are. Some days it doesn't matter, but January and February are tough months of fishing. The percentages drop more and more on the weekends when most people go fishing. If you fish during the week when nobody is there, you will be successful. 

Over time I have learnt many things about Lac. No matter how much you know the lake, it can humbling.

I have said this many of times before, be mobile when it comes to these two months. Don't fish the crowds. Put your time in towards trying something different. I too once had an ice shack. I was the first  ever ice shack at coffin island. Fishing was incredible. I still think it is the best fishing island on the lake. Archie has his shacks at the right island if u ask me. If you're thinking the fish are just going to be jumping on the ice you're wrong. First of all, you need to decide if

you're:

1. partying

2. Partying and fishing( fish are bonus)

3. Serious fishing( don't sleep the day away)

if ur expecting a night bite, DONT. 

Ling is all you'll usually get. My experience with coffin is if you don't have any fish by 10:00-11:00 am, move. The lake is huge. If you took ur truck, you may be limited but try the other side of the island. If I were renting a shack I would use it for the relaxing part of my trip. After 5pm. People must think I bullshit all the time. I don't lie or bullshit. I usually say it as it is. People think you need fancy rods and reels and tip ups and sling shot tip ups. I use a flasher which I believe most people do, I have a rod with a rapala and a rod with a rattle jig, and in my other hole I use a willow stick with a spool of line with a hook and sinker. Nothing special. No gimmicks. Simple fishing. Never fails me. Deeper water is ur better bet these days. 

One  other thing, don't compare perch fishing to walleye fishing. Perch schools are concentrated in the flats. U can move around with the schools. U can't follow walleye the same. Don't blame Archie. He is providing you a shelter not a guarantee. His shacks are at the best island on the lake especially if ur into catching a trophy. I had an epic day at coffin one day with my friends dad. 7 walleye over 27". Biggest 29.5. 

Be smart, go to the fish, don't wait for

Fish to come to you.

my 2 cents. 

Pm if u want to know anything else.

• Like 3