• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bighotdog

Wow whole Lot of Eagles

Bighotdog

I was out trying to fill my last of the deer tags and was totally amazed to see over a dozen and I repeat OVERRR a dozen eagles ranging from Huge Bald to Huge Golden. I have never in my life seen such a specticle of birds . They were so gorgeous to watch and the area they were in has alot of prairie and water ways. I took some pics for everyone to see but as you will see from the pics they were quite the distance away from me so I tried my best to get you a look. I am just curious if anyone has ever seen or heard of this before. In the pics you will see some black things on the trees and don't doubt it because those were golden eagles. They were taking turns flying around me and my buddy the whole time. I am going back out there this evening and hoping to get some more pics to post. Sorry but the file is to big to upload so I will try and upload on the photo gallery.

GC 54

Must be gut piles around, or you are at the city landfill.

Eagles and crows seem to be able to spot a gut pile before the animal is dead.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest Wes

Last fall when Lake Helen was extremely low we counted 21 bald eagles. 11 juvenile and 10 adults. It was very cool to see. I am sure they were chowing on dead salmon. They were all within 30 feet of each other. I have a photo but can't find it right now. if I do I will post it.

Lake of the Woods has tons as well. Nothing to have 5 or 6 over head while fishing crappie in the fall. I have had as much as 8 over head.

I have never seen a Golden Eagle yet. Not saying they aren't around, just that I have not been that lucky yet.

Guest Dan

We're a little spoiled with Eagle sightings up here. In fact, for the first time ever, twice I spotted a Bald hovering right over the middle of town this year. I've seen as many as 20 or so in a quarter mile stretch along the banks of a nearby river in the late fall. As majestic as they look, they are just scavengers. They thrive on the dead/decaying Salmon. I can't believe that you've never seen a Golden Wes. I see at least a couple every year. I've probably seen at least 40 to 50 of them over the years. Never more than one at a time though. They are much bigger than Balds.

I had a great opportunity to photograph a Bald Eagle with the moon in the background a couple of months ago. It was just a matter of maneuvering the boat to line up the perfect shot. Unfortunately, the Specks were biting so I didn't put much effort into the shot. I'm kicking my butt now. I doubt if I'll ever get the chance again. Here's the best shot that I got that day. It's a bit overexposed to boot. DOH!!

IPB Image

Snowball

Can't say that I have "knowingly" seen a Golden Eagle myself so I googled up an image.

Regards,

Snowball

IPB Image

Buck 120

bighotdog, Young balds are easy to mistake for Goldens.

This is a C&P from honeylanefarms.com

Eagles hatch in late spring and begin to fly at 12 weeks old. Young eagles mature at five or six years old, when their mottled brown feathers are replaced with the familiar brilliant white ones.

Eagles mate for life and produce two to three eggs per year. Couples usually have two nests. When one nest gets uninhabitable because of vermin and bugs, the eagles move to the other until the old nest airs out.

Female eagles are larger than males. An adult female bald eagle can weigh eight or nine pounds and have a wing span of six or seven feet. A female golden eagle can weigh up to 13 pounds.

Golden eagles are also popular in the islands. They resemble immature bald eagles. One way to tell the difference is that goldens have feathers all the way to their toes, while baldies have bare ankles.

Bald eagles generally eat dead or dying fish. Some have been seen stealing fish out of seals' mouths. Goldens favor land animals, such as rabbits, rodents and cats.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest Wes

I could very well have mistaken a golden for a juvy baldy. I will pay more attention to the feet next time to make sure.