• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest LAMF

starting ice fishing

Guest LAMF

I want to start ice fishing, I havent gone since I was very young. Also, I am going to look into renting an ice shack like in the other topic, sounds like a good time.

Is the normark ice auger any good? they have some at walmart right now, I was looking at it today and wondering what your 2 cents on it are if anyone has used it.

Also, what should I get in the way of gear that is necessary?

any tips would be appreciated!

thanks alot!

Some Old Guy

Normark is a very good auger. If it's a good price scoop it up. But I would recomend a minimum of 6 inches.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

AB

Lamf,

If you are just starting out ice fishing and are looking for equipment start in the right place with the basics.

Most of us started our icefishing careers with something to cut a hole through the ice and then something to dangle below in the hopes of catching a fish.

To start with you will need an ice drill - auger. If you are just starting out I'd go with a six inch hand auger, There are very few fish you won't be able to get through the opening. It is easier to drill a hole with a smaller hand auger then a larger one, but a 4 inch is to small, so a 6" will be fine to start. Don't frget to get at least one scoop to remove the slush from the hole. They go missing so I'd buy two to start with.

You can talk to the boys at the tackle shop about what kind of rod, reel and lures you need - but keep it simple to start with. And tailor you selection to the species of fish you will be chasing.

While in the buying mode I'd pick up a small net or scoop for fishing out bait from the bait bucket if you are going to use live minnows.

But the most critical pieces of equipment you are going to need are good clothes. If you are warm and not catching fish you are more likely to try and try again. Get cold and wet and you will never want to ice fish again.

Start with a pair of insulated, water proof boots like Kamiks or Baffin. They will serve you well in the field and at home in the yard. If you are in a shack, tent or outside if you have wet feet you are going to get cold and it will not be fun. lLayer up the rest of your body with breathable layers and you should do fine. Keep an extra pair of dry mitts / gloves around.

In recent years i've started taking a small hand towel to dry my hands off with before putting them back in my mitts - it works.

It might sound like funny advice to start ice fishing with, but trust me if you are warm and dry even a day when the fish won't bite for anyone will be enjoyable.

Good luck

iceman

Guest kingjames_2nd

I agree with staying warm as an important first step. One of my first times fishing ont he ice I got wet feet and ignored it and they went numb. I didnt think about it but got frost bite on my toes! I lost the skin but not the toes thankfully.

When I first went, I went with friends who had power augers and tip ups and fancy jigs and jigging lures and scoops and gaff hooks. When i went with my brother for our first "solo trip" we bought some jigs of varying sizes and colour, some minnows for bait, and fihing line. I found an old hand auger that had been my grandfathers. the auger was probably only 4 inches. We used willow and red dog wood branches as our rods and "tip ups".

Now there is a budget gear list!

We packed along a camp stove so we could sit and drink coffee, hot choclates and eat cookies while we wated. about 4 hours later after moving the holes a few times ( which isnt exactly the best part with a hand auger) we caught an 18 inch lake trout. being new to the sport and feeling bad for the fish I sent him back down the hole! :blink:

any way I enjoy the smaller amount of gear. even now after a few winters of doing it. How ever, if you've got the money to throw at it, go big I guess. The difference between a 6" and a 8" and even a 10" power auger isnt that much so you may as well go a little bigger incase you catch a whale or ever plan to. keeping in mind I dont have a power auger.

Kayaker

I have a hand ice auger that I had up for sale and nobody was interested, if it interests you, call and its yours. This is not used anymore and it should have a good home!!

Gord 766-8110

Guest LAMF

I have a hand ice auger that I had up for sale and nobody was interested, if it interests you, call and its yours. This is not used anymore and it should have a good home!!

Gord 766-8110

thanks alot, but my sister bought me it for christmas already.

thanks to everyone else for the input

ralphthedog

Gord 766-8110

Still got it?? Any info, size, make, folding or not??

Thanks in advance.