• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tommy

What boat to buy??

tommy

Hi everyone, I’m in the market for a new boat.  I’m in the 17 foot range with a 115.  Could go to 18 foot with a 150 but don’t want to go smaller than 17 or bigger than 18.  The boat will be used for pretty much everything from sticking it in a small bass lake around town for an afternoon or a week long camping trip up on Lake Nipigon with the family.  I’ll consider all makes and models, but I’ve narrowed it down to a Lund Impact 1775, Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk, Princecraft 172 or 177 Sport or an Alumicraft of similar size and proportions.  I’ve also looked at Smokercraft and Legend and would consider them as well but my research tells me Lund and Crestliner are at the top and Legend and Smokercraft at the bottom.  That being said, I’ve run boats all my life, but I’m also not a tournament angler, so am I really going to notice the little comforts on the water or luxuries in the boat?  Is the cost saving from the lower end boats worth it?  It will primarily be a fishing boat but once in awhile will be used to tow the kids around on a tube or skis.  I want it to be nice for casting and be able to downrig as well.  I want to be able to get off some smaller launches but be comfortable in some heavier chop on Superior or Nipigon if I need to.  I know I’m asking for a lot so don’t be too harsh.  Opinions please.  Thanks.

Adrian

I think they all have their good and not so good points.  One thing I did not take into consideration when I bought my Princecraft was the fact that they do not use a splash rail.  The nice clean side lines look great, but in the water, it is a very noticeable issue.  In a quartering chop, you get water coming up the side of the boat and into the passengers in the back of the boat .  Riding side by side with a lund (for example)which has the splash rails, you can see a very noticeable difference, with the Lund being a much drier ride.  The splash rails also help reduce dock and bumper rash.

Just my 2 cents worth.

toma-hawk

Go with the bigger one so you dont get footittis after a year in the smaller one,When I bought my new boat 2 years  ago  the biggest for me was 16 1/2 ft, and thats what I .bought.I would suggest to buy the motor size that is rated for the boat.The boat I bought is a Alumacraft , very pleased with the unit,

Rick

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Lunds typically handle better . more speed drier ride .and sell easier and for more $$. 

I've fished in all of them except the Alumacrafts.( which ive heard ride awesome but aren't the fastest hulls)

in my opinion nobody can touch the quality of a lund for tin boats. also storage and ergonomics are top notch.

id place princecraft in second place . very sturdy  and quality materials .  just not as well appointed as the lund.

18 footer with a 150 is  sweet rig  and you won't regret going that size especially when the afternoon chop starts.  

good luck

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

arvey

I wouldn't buy a boat just on name or price , compare everything you'll find things in some boats that other boats don't have and visa versa . I've owned an Alumnicraft for 20 yrs. no problems with lots of hrs. I can't speak against other brands I haven't owned just do your homework and get what you want not what somebody else wants you to buy.

PRO V

Boats are all about personal preference, the big one is the layout, and what works for you. The manufactures mention above all make great boats, myself it would be another Lund or a Crestliner because of the Tiller layouts,  Two big things are do not under power, and WARRANTY read it carefully and don;t just take the salesmans word, don't be shy contact the dealers head office and ask questions. 

Mike

tommy

Thanks guys.  I went used for now.  Selling the house so once that goes through, I’ll be looking to buy new.  And I’m pretty sure it’ll be a Lund or Crestliner, but I’m leaning towards the Lund.