• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

cvaneeden

Live Bait Alternatives?

cvaneeden

Happy Friday, y'all!  :D

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good alternatives to live bait?  

My son is going fishing this weekend and I have a feeling he's not going to be too impressed with using live bait.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'd like to pack an alternative for him if need be. 

I was just going to pick up some colourful jigs and rubber worms but thought I'd ask some seasoned experts here first :)

Thanks, guys!  Happy fishing! 

RLSIM011lg.jpg

Some Old Guy

Those are all good choices. But throw in some jerk baits and crank baits and maybe try some gulp bait.

Roger

• Thanks 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Kayaker

Although well seasoned, but not an expert I would go with jigs (my go to bait) ChartreuseI.I use worms for trout.

• Thanks 1

eyelander

Also pick up a package of the fake nightcrawlers. If the fish are indeed biting on dew worms, switch up to the fake ones to preserve bait or avoid handling of live worms, if that is what your son does not like.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

naden

gulp leeches trolled on spinners work, so do the gulp worms. Power minnows work as well or even just a mister twister on a spinner or jig. I've found that sometimes these baits work as good if not better than live bait.

brookiebuster

Whenever I run out of minnows I always have 4" white twisters and sometimes they out perform live bait. I know d&r used to sell a garlic scented one that was killer don't know if they still have them. Use on a jig or spinner rig. I've also had luck with husky jerks mainly in clown colour. Everything from walleye to trout. 

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

toma-hawk

You could also try flicker shads from berkley,Ive had good luck with them trolling and also casting in lakes and rivers.

Rick