• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest stumped

Finally Got One

Guest stumped

Unfortunately, due to cold weather and late in the day we didn't get any pictures. We had time to tag it and gut it then daylight was gone. 300 yd shot at least... talk about rough dragging it out. Just my husband and myself... no ATV, no snowmobile, no truck. Thank goodness they are flexible after being gutted.

Nice buck tho... my problem is now that we have it what do we do with it. We have it hanging in our shed and don't know if we should skin it and take to a butcher or just leave it with the head attached? Mind you I do want to keep the rack... ten points (five on each).

Guest Wes

I don't know much as I took my first big game animal this year as well. I was told you should do the skinning yourself because you will do a better job of removing all the loose hair. The butcher may be too busy to really care to remove it all.

arvey

you will probably get alot of different opinions on this,but i normally skin it right a way.the hide comes off easier warm.then off to the butcher.some will say hang it for a few days, myself maybe 1 day.i was told this by a butcher,unless you have a contolled temperature like a cooler,your better off butchering soon.

now this isn't thee gospel it is what i go by.

arvey

Bear

Unfortunately, due to cold weather and late in the day we didn't get any pictures. We had time to tag it and gut it then daylight was gone. 300 yd shot at least... talk about rough dragging it out. Just my husband and myself... no ATV, no snowmobile, no truck. Thank goodness they are flexible after being gutted.

Nice buck tho... my problem is now that we have it what do we do with it. We have it hanging in our shed and don't know if we should skin it and take to a butcher or just leave it with the head attached? Mind you I do want to keep the rack... ten points (five on each).

I always skin as soon as possible, the warmer the better, then clean all the air off, head and feet off, makes for a nice deer to bring to the butcher. I like to get all the sources of hair off the carcas as soon as possible. Remeber what you bring to the butcher is what you should get back. Clean in, clean out.

By the way congrats...

It is tough dragging any animal for any distance, you know there still is a few weeks until Christmas, may I suggest a nice new set of quads, your husband would be so surprized......

Bear

Bill Arnott

Congrats on the buck. I'd skin it right away too. Hang it head down and you will get a lot less hair on the meat(that you will have to pick off later).

Can't wait to see a pic of the rack. A 10 is a pretty nice first buck.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Guest stumped

I always skin as soon as possible, the warmer the better, then clean all the air off, head and feet off, makes for a nice deer to bring to the butcher. I like to get all the sources of hair off the carcas as soon as possible. Remeber what you bring to the butcher is what you should get back. Clean in, clean out.

By the way congrats...

It is tough dragging any animal for any distance, you know there still is a few weeks until Christmas, may I suggest a nice new set of quads, your husband would be so surprized......

Bear

Quad is a great idea ... oh yeah, we already have one. Problem has been our truck is down right now and we weren't able to get it fixed so we have been out in our little car... it is amazing what you can fit in a little car when you put the back seat down and cover with a tarp :lol:

Congrats on the buck. I'd skin it right away too. Hang it head down and you will get a lot less hair on the meat(that you will have to pick off later).

Can't wait to see a pic of the rack. A 10 is a pretty nice first buck.

>Bill

I will definitely try to get a picture of the rack, but of the deer... that isn't going to happen. We skinned it last night, now just have to pick the hairs off and final cleaning than off to the butcher. Once I have a picture of the rack I will definitely post it.

Cheech

Congrats on the buck Stumped. I hope your car is a hatchback at least.What we woulddo with some of the hairs that would stick to our moose was use a propane cylinder and lightly go over the hairs with the flame.

Guest deerhunting101

It all depends on when your bringing it to the butcher. We cut and wrap our own meat and we leave it on for a couple of days and even up to a week as long as you have cooler temperatures. Early in the season I wouldn't recomend. We butcher quite a few deer a year and the hid protects it until you can get to it.

We hang it up head first at camp the blood drains much easier. Make sure you put a stick in to open the cavity to allow the meat to cool off quicker. We bring it into town and then cut off the head and all four legs just below the (elbows) we use a sawsall but don't cut the tendons because this is what you will hang it from. Don't forget to peel back the hid around the legs before you cut the bones and hide so you don't get hair all over. Once the deer is hanging you can now peel the rest of the hid off. Much easier when it is hanging. When we butcher we start cutting from the front shoulders and work our way up. Hope this helps.