• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

2018/19 Black Bay Ice Conditions.

scandiman

In 5 winters of fishing perch out there, I can say that 90% of the perch I or someone I’m with, have cleaned (and we’re talking about a big sample size) are females with ripe eggs.

not Sure if that’s just a natural occurrence in perch populations or not. 

oyo

Have you ever eaten them? My buddies fried them up and ate them, not my cup of tea.

crazyctr

black bay is sleds only theres 18 inches of slush in places sleds are getting stuck out there right now no quads or side by sides 

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr

black bay is good to go most of the slush has frozen with the exception of a few spots  ill let everyone know where those spots are tomorrow morning when we get out there

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr

if it gets to minus 15 tonight like they are forecasting quads will be able to go to the derby as long as you respect the trail no horsing and around take your time and don't tear up the trail

• Like 1

hbaits.jpg

fishman1
On March 14, 2019 at 10:05 PM, oyo said:

Have you ever eaten them? My buddies fried them up and ate them, not my cup of tea.

Except for the salmon, nothing from Lake Superior is what I would call quality table fare. My 2 cents.

crazyctr

due to poor conditions I will be hauling the ice huts in tomorrow  

hbaits.jpg

scandiman
On 3/17/2019 at 12:57 AM, fishman1 said:

Except for the salmon, nothing from Lake Superior is what I would call quality table fare. My 2 cents.

That’s a crazy statement. You must be a very picky eater or not able to cook, because I’ve had Lake Superior perch, burbot, steelhead, walleye, pike, whitefish, lake trout ( siscowet lakers are gross) and herring and all of them are EXCELLENT table fare. My two cents rounded up to five. 

oyo
1 hour ago, scandiman said:

That’s a crazy statement. You must be a very picky eater or not able to cook, because I’ve had Lake Superior perch, burbot, steelhead, walleye, pike, whitefish, lake trout ( siscowet lakers are gross) and herring and all of them are EXCELLENT table fare. My two cents rounded up to five. 

Yeah I have no problem eating out Lake Superior, just wouldn’t eat anything caught close to town or in the rivers going through town. Rereading my original question about eating the perch, I can see I wasn’t clear. I ate the perch, but passed on the fried perch eggs. Supposedly they were tasty but the texture needed some work.

scandiman

Ya I haven’t tried them yet but have been told they are quite good

pbear

I’m thinking about heading out fishing on Sunday.  If someone heads out, can they let us know if the ice has lifted by then. 

Wildcat

Went out today about 9k, hard crust this morning used my scratchers , the was a hard layer of snow, than about 6" of slush than at least 20" ice. it was soft on the way out but only hit slush for about 30'. Fishing was pretty good

Foozer

Anyone still going out as far as Granite, and is there any snow left to cruise a couple fan cooled sleds one last time this year?

Thanks.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Superiormobile

Out there today. Not much snow. Had good traction in the morning going out but in the afternoon after it melted a touch it took me a little bit to come back. I don't have studs on my track so I was spinning quite a bit. If it softened up a bit more it would have been okay coming back. Lots of ice still. Pretty much a full auger with no slush. Bring ice cleats if you have them.

• Thanks 1

crazyctr

was out yesterday lots of ice out there once you get away from shore 

the ice is getting bad around the dock and boat launch because of the current coming out of the creek so watch yourself there 

• Thanks 1

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr

i made a new trail to the east of the dock way better place to get onto the ice about 50 feet before you get to the old boat laying on shore by the dock please don't use the ramp access 

• Like 1

hbaits.jpg

Trigger Happy

Hi how far out does your new trail go? And thanks Gary 

crazyctr
On 4/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, Trigger Happy said:

Hi how far out does your new trail go? And thanks Gary 

its just a new place to get onto the ice away from the boat launch I don't trust the ice in that area this time of year once the creek starts flowing

after your on the ice its good going out on the bay just stay away from the river mouths 

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr

BLACK BAY IS FINISHED THE RAIN LAST NIGHT KILLED THE ICE OPEN HOLES EVERYWHERE OUT THERE

• Thanks 1

hbaits.jpg