• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Tonyv

Stocked Lakes

Tonyv

Hey Everyone,

Went into a stocked lake near whitefish this weekend. Small lake and the ice was good 6" - 8" of ice. Fishing close to shore in 5'-10' of water.  I'm fairly new to ice fishing and very new to fishing stocked lakes. We were using minnows and saw a few people on the ice saying they swear by nightcralwers for trout. They outfished us, now i'm trying to chock it up to luck or does this hold any merit? Are there any lakes in the whitefish area or Thunder Bay in general you have had some success at? Obviously not looking for "secret spots" more just starting points during this learning curve. Any tips for some newbies?

Foozer

I use more minnows on stocked lakes than worms, but we always bring both.

Couple lines with chunks of worm, and a couple lines with minnows.  Watch for what they want that day and give it to them.  Even when jigging spoons, if they want minnows that day, I'll use a piece of minnow.  If that doesn't work then I'll use a chunk of worm instead. 

I also like to chum the water a bit, if necessary, by breaking a worm into 3 or 4 pieces and dropping them down the hole.  The slow sinking morsels of worm can sometimes turn the bite on.

Quite often, when cleaning fish at home, I'll find fish that we've landed by minnow have pieces of worm in the belly as well.

• Like 2

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

therealfndeal

I was fishing a stocked lake up Cameron falls road and we caught ours damn near touching the shore in like 2 ft our lines out deeper did nothing all day 

Foozer
2 hours ago, therealfndeal said:

I was fishing a stocked lake up Cameron falls road and we caught ours damn near touching the shore in like 2 ft our lines out deeper did nothing all day 

Agreed.

I like to fish 3-5 ft until there's too much ice for my liking.  Then I'll go to 5-10 ft.

Rarley do I fish deeper than 10' for Specks through the ice.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Tonyv
12 hours ago, Foozer said:

Agreed.

I like to fish 3-5 ft until there's too much ice for my liking.  Then I'll go to 5-10 ft.

Rarley do I fish deeper than 10' for Specks through the ice.

We were definitely closer to 5" than 10" but this weekend i'll give her a go a bit shallower and see if that improves

therealfndeal

My best line I could see the sinkers from the top of my hole no problem lol