• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

JGriffin

Ice Fishing Hazelwood

ottoman82

A few mid afternoon fish from the past few days.  I am limited on the amount of time that I have to go out so I stayed in the same bay as the beach.   Quick in/out and hit fish right away and every trip.  Cheers

20190122_124538.jpg

20190122_130512.jpg

20190123_140817.jpg

• Like 2

toma-hawk

Question,can you use a gas power auger there legally ? I can remember that you couldn't use gas outboards years ago.

Rick

ottoman82
20 hours ago, toma-hawk said:

Question,can you use a gas power auger there legally ? I can remember that you couldn't use gas outboards years ago.

Rick

Electric or hand auger only.  Cheers

• Like 1

toma-hawk

Thanks, ottoman82,  thought so but wasn't sure.

Rick

fish2000

If I remember correctly there was a post on here a while back asking the same thing, which was answered under "Ask a C.O.". I believe he said that you can in fact use a gas auger on Hazelwood,  just no sleds or outboards. 

CountDupu

Hazelwood Lake Conservation Area is operated by and falls under the jurisdiction of the Lakehead Region Conservation Authority (LRCA).

The normal Ontario fishing regulations apply to the lake.

Under the Revised Regulations of Ontario 1990, Regulation 113 (Lakehead Region) made pursuant to the Conservation Authorities Act, no person is allowed to operate an all-terrain vehicle, power boat, an off-road vehicle or a motorized snow vehicle in the conservation area.  There is no restriction on the use of a power auger to fish through the ice at Hazelwood Lake.

Enforcement of the Conservation Act Regulations at Hazelwood is done by the OPP and the superintendent of the conservation area. The Fishery Regulations are enforced by MNR.

You can reach the LRCA at 807-344-5857for more information

• Like 2

CountDupu

Mnr post previously stated , you are legally allowed to run gas powered augers on hazelwood

Bobber Down
1 hour ago, CountDupu said:

Mnr post previously stated , you are legally allowed to run gas powered augers on hazelwood

Can you provide a link to that statement/post. Here is the LRCA link to Hazelwood Lake. Clearly states no gas devices on the lake.

https://lakeheadca.com/conservation/conservation-areas/hazelwood-lake

• Like 2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Some Old Guy

I would follow the guidelines provided in the link bobberdown provided. The info in the ask a co is antiquated and rules can be amended and changed. 

Roger. 

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

CountDupu

I thought the same .... I had a hand auger and everyone around me had gassers/propane . When a local CO stoped is the one day I asked him and he said the exact same thing as I posted. I mean I you don’t want to take the chance sure but if a co is telling it’s game then I’m drilling holes :)

• Like 3

JGriffin

Was wondering if anyone has been out to check the ice conditions? Thanks.

Snag???

Always wanted to try ice fishing hazlewood. Can anyone tell me if it’s easier to access the lake from lappe side it looks a lot closer to get to the islands and structure that holds fish. I posted a article few hours ago on nautical charts and for those of you who need help to understand there is a really good show on YouTube called in depth outdoors and on each show the ido team has a segment called spot on the spot I’d explains lots. So looking for some feedback if someone has ever accessed the lake that way if at all possible feedback is appreciated.

4189844A-30F3-4162-AA05-4E58EBFB6A0C.png

fisherdude

It can be a bit sketchy in the winter depending on the snow

Snag???

Ok so taking it gibbon rd isn’t lowed. Thxs 

CountDupu

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has been out on hazelwood yet this year ? Looking for ice conditions . 

ottoman82
On 12/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, CountDupu said:

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has been out on hazelwood yet this year ? Looking for ice conditions . 

I was out last week and there is almost 10" of ice  in the main section of the lake.  I made access from Gibbon Road and walked towards the islands.  Gibbon road is snow covered so use 4x4 and there was some slush midway from landing to islands.  The rest of the lake is snow covered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chemin71

Has anyone been out recently after the passed few snowfalls?

Bobber Down
On 12/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, ottoman82 said:

I was out last week and there is almost 10" of ice  in the main section of the lake.  I made access from Gibbon Road and walked towards the islands.  Gibbon road is snow covered so use 4x4 and there was some slush midway from landing to islands.  The rest of the lake is snow covered.

Years ago I to have accessed the lake from this location as well until I learned it is against the conservation rules and regulations and could be fined if caught. The only "designated" locations are the river/launch area and walking in from the main parking lot.

"Prohibited Activities and Activities Requiring Permits:" (3) No person shall enter or leave the conservation area, except at the locations designated by the Authority. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 113, s. 4 (3).

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Bobber Down

I reached out to the Conservation Authority last week to see if there has been any updated or changes to the rules and regulations regarding gasoline, electric or propane powered augers on Hazelwood. This is the email I received. No mention about propane but propane is not gasoline so.....If anyone is concerned the contact number is below.

Thanks for reaching out.

We do not allow the use of any gasoline powered equipment on Hazelwood Lake, including ice augers, snowmobiles, boats, etc. You are perfectly ok to use electric powered augers and motors, however.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.  

RYAN MACKETT

Communications Manager

Phone: (807) 344-5857 Ext. 228 Fax: (807) 345-9156

• Like 1

ottoman82
On 1/15/2020 at 9:46 AM, Bobber Down said:

Years ago I to have accessed the lake from this location as well until I learned it is against the conservation rules and regulations and could be fined if caught. The only "designated" locations are the river/launch area and walking in from the main parking lot.

"Prohibited Activities and Activities Requiring Permits:" (3) No person shall enter or leave the conservation area, except at the locations designated by the Authority. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 113, s. 4 (3).

Thanks for the info Bobber Down.  I will use the main locations from now on. 

oyo

How are conditions at Hazelwood? I want to take my two year old out and Im wondering how deep the snow is to walk through.

Cheers