• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  

Best Boots for Ice Fishing

So im thinking I'm going to spend a chunk of change on some really good boots for ice fishing this year. Needs to be 100% waterproof and very warm. Ive done some reading and it really seems any boot with a seam or stitch line will leak even if it says water proof. So that leaves rubber boots. Baffin winter titans seem to be popular online and I know people with good experiences but I went to Gear Up just now and they do not have my size and will not order it, so that leaves me ordering from cabelas as far as I know.  Has anyone had a better experience with a pair of boots? Any recommendations? Or am I wise to stick with the Titans? 

AmateurHourAngling

I’ve tried out 4 different boots for ice fishing, all brand new and top of the line but the Baffin -100°’s are the best by far. I’ve worn them in -40° temps without socks in complete comfort, even with the steeltoe’s. Nothing will ever come close to how well they hold up, no matter what the temperature is, I always feel comfortable to go out without socks. Would definitely reccomend

-JADEN

vesh_89

Nat's boots from Excalibur! They are a rubber/foam boot with a thinsulate liner. They are hands down the best boots I've ever had. When you pick them up you'd think I was joking cause they are as light as running shoes. I just wear a light thin sock in mine, feet have never been cold and I don't fish in a pop up. Bought for about $120 3 years ago and they're still going strong. 

joks
3 hours ago, vesh_89 said:

Nat's boots from Excalibur! They are a rubber/foam boot with a thinsulate liner. They are hands down the best boots I've ever had. When you pick them up you'd think I was joking cause they are as light as running shoes. I just wear a light thin sock in mine, feet have never been cold and I don't fish in a pop up. Bought for about $120 3 years ago and they're still going strong. 

Nat's are great just remember not to put them near any source of heat since they do seem to melt .  Also the old liners were much better than the current ones which are now cheap foam and I wish they sold replacement liners.

eyelander

I have a pair of Nokia's which I bought at D&R 30+ yrs. ago which are great, but showed the wear of years of use and a couple of punctures so I retired them for use around the yard clearing snow. Bought a pair of Sorel's 15 or so yrs. ago which are still going strong.

Bought size 12, my shoe size is 9 1/2. I wear 2 pairs of socks which leaves a little bit of room for my feet and toes to move around in them a little bit and rarely get cold feet unless I am just not moving around  for any length of time.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

speckmaster

I use an insulated pair of rubbers from CDN Tire and I’ve never been cold. I wear a good pair of wool socks and I’ve been out on a couple days that were -30. For $50 you can’t go wrong. 

Jared720

After 20 years and 2 pairs of lacrosse Iceman’s, I took the plunge last season on Nats 1590’s based on a bushman’s recommendation. 

I only wear 1 pair of medium weight merino wool socks in them, 0 moisture in the boot or on the outside of the liner at the end of the day. They’re extremely warm (yeah I’m the crazy lone soul fishing when no one dares going out due to temps) waterproof and feather light. They’re also extremely comfortable if standing on hard surfaces all day. I prefer working in my garage all day with Nats on versus my Ecco Track II’s. 

Aside from keeping them away away from heat sources, the only drawback I’ve found is they’re quite stiff almost up to the knee and I wouldn’t recommend driving a vehicle with them on. They also run small, I normally wear a 11 1/2-12, My Nats are 13’s.

brookiebuster

I work outside all year and I've used multiple boots and the ones I've had the best luck with so far are baffin icebear (insulated rubber), the bigger Baffin I believe were rated to -120 not sure of the name and right now I'm really digging the muck arctic pros. The mucks are really light and I haven't had a problem with cold or wet feet. I got the mucks from Thunder Bay feeds there's a large selection. Wool socks or the thermal ones from marks defiantly help. 

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Retriever

Like others, I enjoy the warmth and comfort of Baffin boots, especially boots with the older liners.

One weakness is the rubber cuts easily.

I'm on my second pair of Baffin boots  due to having a bad habit of using the toe of the boot to break ice in the hole.  

dunnhuntin

I have 2 pairs of baffins. Both pairs are the snow boot style not full rubber, but I think they all use the same liners. One pair is rated to -100 that I wear on the coldest days with just a thin pair of socks otherwise my feet get sweaty, and one pair rated to -40 with an extra wool sole on the bottom to insulate against the ice. The second liner makes a big difference in the lighter boots. My girlfriend has poor circulation and always gets cold feet. The only way she will stay out all day without a shelter is if she borrows my -100 baffins.

therealfndeal

I just rock the muck boots and haven’t ever had a problem With being cold in them 

vishuscirquel

My Sorels have never let me down, right down to -40℃.

TroutHunter

I've had Baffin's and Muck Boot (Arctic Pro).... Muck boots are by far warmer, water proof and more comfortable (lighter, less bulky) than the Baffin's. I wish i bought them sooner.

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

toma-hawk

I have baffin boots also rated for !00 below, good boots.One tip I use spray deodorant on my feet to help with sweating seems to help.

Rick

Wardman

I wear Baffin -120 and they work great on the coldest day, another sure bet is to bama socks from marks work wear house, the miners use they in there rubber boots and they wick away any foot moisture keeping your feet dry ( they are like a quilter booty)

RickRaw

Muck Arctic Pro for everything from hunting in the fall, fishing over the winter, to wet spring bush trips.  Can't compare to Baffins as I have never had a pair, but I have no reason to look at any other boots after owning the Mucks.

Nnev
1 hour ago, RickRaw said:

Muck Arctic Pro for everything from hunting in the fall, fishing over the winter, to wet spring bush trips.  Can't compare to Baffins as I have never had a pair, but I have no reason to look at any other boots after owning the Mucks.

All of my friends have made the switch. Muck Arctic Pro for hunting in the fall to Snowmobiling and ice fishing. One big way to up your game is to order insoles from Eglis sheep farm. For $12 you'll be walking on clouds and the additional warmth is unreal. I've used a few different pairs of Baffins but I've had to leave the stand early December because of them. Never once since the switch to Mucks

• Like 1

RickRaw
3 minutes ago, Nnev said:

All of my friends have made the switch. Muck Arctic Pro for hunting in the fall to Snowmobiling and ice fishing. One big way to up your game is to order insoles from Eglis sheep farm. For $12 you'll be walking on clouds and the additional warmth is unreal. I've used a few different pairs of Baffins but I've had to leave the stand early December because of them. Never once since the switch to Mucks

Actually, I also have the Egli's insoles but haven't used them yet.

I was out fishing this weekend, standing 6" in water/slush all day and not cold 👍

OldWalter

Anybody try the FXR Excursion Lite boots? I wonder if they are as warm as advertised.

MetalFishing

My first couple years ice fishing I would always go out in my steel toe Dakota work boots. Can't even tell it's cold; no feeling in your feet!

Porkchop21

Definitely Nats. Also have Baffin's which are also warm but the light weight of the Nats while still as warm is the winner in my books. My wife always use to have issues with cold feet but thats history since I bought her a pair of Nats.

ottoman82

I run the Kamik Mammoth  lined rubber boots from Canadian Tire.  You can get them on sale for $99 and are good down to -60.  I always wear a good pair of wool socks and my feet have never gotten cold even in extreme temps.  Cheers