• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

bigbrookie

Steelhead 2019

toma-hawk

I find the best time to go fishing is when you have the time.it could be before work if you still work.after work if you don't have family plans, rain days were always good for me, back when I    worked construction, didn't mined to get soaked fishing  lol,The idea is to get your line in the water, that's where the fish are,enjoy the fishing, don't hog the pools and have fun.

Rick

• Like 3

bin fishin lots

Did well this mornin. Didnt take long for the crowd to hoard in and squish me out. Loogans are like sea gulls. Caw caw caw. Give your fellow angler some breathing room. 

• Like 1

James01
12 hours ago, bin fishin lots said:

Did well this mornin. Didnt take long for the crowd to hoard in and squish me out. Loogans are like sea gulls. Caw caw caw. Give your fellow angler some breathing room. 

Loogans?

Isn't that a term from Wicked Tuna? 

Edit: I looked it up, its slang for fool.

You're not one of those people fishing the Mac that thinks s/he has some exclusive right to it, are you? Those people are the real loogans.

I do agree with fishing etiquette, and giving people their space. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

BigFisher92

Well I guess now is not the time to ask where the steelhead spots are 😅.

• Like 1

James01
28 minutes ago, BigFisher92 said:

Well I guess now is not the time to ask where the steelhead spots are 😅.

Try the MacIntyre... people are catching fish there. Fish are in the neebing too. 

Heard rumors that rivers/creeks east of here are producing. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

oyo

They must be fish that over wintered. Lake Ontario’s run is just starting.

James01
1 hour ago, oyo said:

The Neebing does get an early run. However, in a lot of cases you're probably right.

People seem to be catching fish though ... over winter or recent run, it's still a fish at the end of the line.

- Henry David Thoreau

oyo

Oh yeah for sure, doesn’t matter to me whether it’s a running fish or overwinter one (it just means they ran in the fall ;) )

I’m just always surprised the neebing and Mac have an earlier run than rivers in other lakes or even ones on Lake Superior. Maybe there are some nice additives running into it from industry/the city that make it warmer lol. 

It could be that they run through the city. All the pavement heats up and warms the melt water. There are more city related issues I'm sure but when I was in school I was measuring temperatures of a sensitive creek in S. Ont and water running off a black parking lot after rainstorms and melt can really swing the temperatures. Maybe it creates kind of a false run?

oyo

That’s a good point! The meltwater from the city is probably quite warm and we had a couple roasting hot days too, both those rivers meander through the city but are quite a bit smaller when compared to the Kam or the rivers outside of town. I don’t know about the neebing but the Mac has that long wide stretch at LU that is only a foot deep still in some places, on a hot day I bet water going through there gets quite a bit of heat.

James01

Mcvicars is usually a later run ... I like the discussion, but what of Mcvicars? Its faster than the previously mentioned rivers, a creek, and probably deeper relative to its volume and width. I assume these could keep it cooler longer. Or, those fish spawn later just because.

- Henry David Thoreau

oyo

Mcvicars is pretty fast, in town it is mostly tree covered and in deeper ravines and it doesnt seem to have any lakes or pools along its length outside of town or through town and it doesnt meander as much. Maybe thats what is keeping it cooler. Too bad the river monitoring stations in town only check flow and not temperature!

toma-hawk

Wonder what method they are using on the creeks and rivers east of us,  because I've heard there roaring so fast that you my need a cannon ball for a weight to get you down, blown out all the way to the steel . Supper table talk last night from someone who was out that way this weekend,

Rick

• Like 1

fishman1
8 hours ago, oyo said:

No, fish here don't winter over in the Mac and neebing. They are running because the water and temperature is right. Same as any other year. Roughly the same time as well.

neebing is a deeper, mud bottom river that heats up faster than the Mac, temps are generally 1to 2 degrees higher in the neebing than the Mac. That's why the first big wave moved thru over 2 weeks ago in the neebing.

zippermouth

Does anyone know if you can keep a steelhead in the creeks east of town along lakeshore drive?

toma-hawk

Yes you can.You should read the regs though. Private property ?

Rick

• Like 1

PajamaSquirrel

Kudos to the LONE, hardcore fisherman I spied fishing the Neebing at 8:00 tonight, on my way over the Edward St bridge.  He had the entire riverbank to himself!!  Timing is everything ... of course the snowstorm might have had something to do with it.  Parka on with the hood up and fly-rod in hand.   Well done, my good man - I hope you caught a few.  ❄️😎

fishman1
14 hours ago, Mykiss said:

A friendly comment to Fisherman 1 posting:

A percentage of adult steelhead enter both the Neebing and McIntyre Rivers in the fall months and overwinter in mid to upper stretches. They are the first to spawn in the spring and are an important part of the genetic diversity of these wild steelhead populations. The overwintering numbers will vary from year to year based on fall flows and year class strength.

I was referring to whole runs overwintering such as BC. Yes there are a few but not many that overwinter in our rivers.but thanks for the insite my kiss.

Dudakov

Was at the Mac the last few days after work.  Tons of people, didn't see anyone catching a thing.  Was around TBCC and the Uni. I still don't think we have gotten the full run yet... they're coming, but I don't think its really primetime yet.

Wopfisher

I’ve been catching a few fish but they have been on the smaller side I agree I don’t think the full run has started there’s definitely going to be more fish moving through 

• Like 1

James01

Given the year we have had thus far and the run somewhat late, I am thinking there is going to be a surge of fish when the full run starts. Smelt are running, it'll be soon. There will be more steelhead in the local rivers than water. ;)

If it takes much longer, I will be walleye fishing before I am steelhead catching (I wrote catching because I have been fishing a few times already - it feels good to drift a line, fish or no fish). 

• Like 1

- Henry David Thoreau

bigbrookie
5 hours ago, James01 said:

Given the year we have had thus far and the run somewhat late, I am thinking there is going to be a surge of fish when the full run starts. Smelt are running, it'll be soon. There will be more steelhead in the local rivers than water. ;)

If it takes much longer, I will be walleye fishing before I am steelhead catching (I wrote catching because I have been fishing a few times already - it feels good to drift a line, fish or no fish). 

True