• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

bigbrookie

Steelhead 2019

fishman1
11 hours ago, McFish said:

Anyone have any luck in Mcvicar creek yet?

You're question is 2 weeks late

Zackcorbin1401
15 hours ago, McFish said:

Anyone have any luck in Mcvicar creek yet?

seems like they are starting to go in there decently now

Bobber Down

Only one guy fishing the Neebing by Edward St. Lots of bows stacked up at the weir (both sides) resting before going up and over. You could grab them with your hand there was that many at or near the surface. Big ones and smaller ones. Saw one go over while I was watching them. Water is getting lower.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Deep

Went to the neebing last night. 2 suckers and that's all 

Bobber Down

McIntyre was hopping this afternoon. Hard to get a spot on the river. Saw 3 caught in a matter of 5 minutes. Couple guys had back to back catches in as many drifts. She's was hot on the river today for sure!

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

• Like 1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

brianclay@tbaytel.net

MacKenzie R. -- no fish May 6/19

Zackcorbin1401

Fish are coming in good. Landed to many fish to count today and last night

Bobber Down

Zack speaks truth. Was there again today and saw 2 caught in a matter of minutes. Also saw a jumper at McVicars. 

• Like 1

I'm going to go out and give it the old college try tomorrow with beads. Ive watched a whack of West Coast guys videos but im left with 2 questions. Firstly, locally, do you find you have more luck with hard beads or soft beads? And secondly, do you use the double egg presentation where you tie a second hook off you main hook? Or if I'm fishing a single bead, is it worth giving my hook a yarn accent? Thanks! Anyone heading to the rivers east to fish tomorrow, I'll be the dude swearing on the bank snagged up. Play safe out there!

• Like 1

bigbrookie
7 hours ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Fish are coming in good. Landed to many fish to count today and last night

I too caught fish today, seems as though the first big run is on us

toma-hawk

I've never fished hard beads,but I have tried the soft ones with out much luck(tried a couple times)I do better egg fly patterns in different colors ( Mc fly foam) use sparkle egg patterns also.Also like fishing the babine special fly it's tied with a double egg on a single hook,and white hackle, good luck tomorrow.

Rick

• Like 2

bigbrookie
13 minutes ago, toma-hawk said:

I've never fished hard beads,but I have tried the soft ones with out much luck(tried a couple times)I do better egg fly patterns in different colors ( Mc fly foam) use sparkle egg patterns also.Also like fishing the babine special fly it's tied with a double egg on a single hook,and white hackle, good luck tomorrow.

Rick

True, I caught all my fish on egg flies today

brookiebuster

Reminder to everyone before hopping in the river, make sure your not walking through the reds (nests) look for freshly dug up gravel. Also if you see fish spawning leave them alone there’s always other fish around. The amount of time this year I’ve seen people harassing spawning fish is insane. If you’ve been casting to the same fish for an hour and they haven’t bit move on.

• Like 1

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

fishman1
2 hours ago, brookiebuster said:

Reminder to everyone before hopping in the river, make sure your not walking through the reds (nests) look for freshly dug up gravel. Also if you see fish spawning leave them alone there’s always other fish around. The amount of time this year I’ve seen people harassing spawning fish is insane. If you’ve been casting to the same fish for an hour and they haven’t bit move on.

Fish don't have to be spawning to be harassed, it was a 4 day gong show at the Mac in the catfish falls, Lorne's pool area, 20-25 people relentlessly hooking, snagging, whaling on these fish. Mishandling etc. 

What a mess!

• Like 1

Ive never understood why the season is open for them during the spawn to be honest. Maybe because they are introduced? If you dont think catching that fish is causing it to let loose eggs and some man juice you are not watching fish butts close enough. Other fish are closed during their spawn never, understood why they were any different. Same with the pike gauntlet in Hurkett, which I fully participate in every spring so I'm not making judgements here. Brookiebuster brings up an excellent point and ill add stomping up all that mud can also cover the eggs in mud and silt when it settles... They also taste like garbage this time of year. If you really want them to grow in numbers fish the river mouths but once they are up stream, leave them alone as fun as it may be. But that won't happen as long as people think there is something extraordinary about them. 

• Like 1

Macbook10

does anyone know any streams or small river to fish for small rookies on flies around here please help m out! or any places where the steel head still run? thanks 

toma-hawk

You  can try the current river, upper mac, upper mcvickers, for brookies close to town  I've caught drop backs in rivers into june , so you still have time to catch some steelhead,

Rick

Macbook10

do you know of any creeks/ streams off the beaten path  good to fly fish for them not looking for anything to big just little guys?

Skidooman

Fishman1 you’re right it was  a gong show the mnr should close those areas when the fish stack up in  those areas .They have closed it before. Catching the same fish over and over again is not a sport In my eyes or  Worth a picture .

fishman1
11 hours ago, Skidooman said:

Fishman1 you’re right it was  a gong show the mnr should close those areas when the fish stack up in  those areas .They have closed it before. Catching the same fish over and over again is not a sport In my eyes or  Worth a picture .

Yes. indeed,  many many fisherman were saying the same thing.and no MNR presence to be seen. 

And a big thumbs down to the guys snagging fish for pictures.

i also thought the local steelhead club would have been more concerned . ???????????????????????

• Like 1

oyo
3 hours ago, fishman1 said:

Yes. indeed,  many many fisherman were saying the same thing.and no MNR presence to be seen. 

And a big thumbs down to the guys snagging fish for pictures.

i also thought the local steelhead club would have been more concerned . ???????????????????????

The MNR CO was at the macenzie watching people smelt.

Zackcorbin1401

i have ran into conservation officers more times this year steelhead fishing than i ever have. Some days i have even been checked twice at different rivers by the same guy. 

James01

Did you say anything ... I have I formed individuals that there is no fishing in that pool. If they still don't listen, I inform the C.O.'s.

As I see it, we all have a responsibility to protect our fisheries. 

And thumbs down to the people leaving garbage behind. There is no excuse for not taking your empty bottles/cans/ Tim's cups, wrappers, old line, etc.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau