• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
scandiman

Why is TBay's toys/vehicles so expensive??

scandiman

Hey all,

Just wanted to hear some members weigh in on why they think Thunder Bay is so much more expensive when it comes to purchasing boats, ATV's, snowmobiles and trucks??

I'm currently in the market for a brand new boat (20-25K range) and find that Thunder Bay is on average, at least based on my findings thus far, 3-4000 dollars more expensive then surrounding areas.

Makes it really hard for me to want to support local when I can spend a few bucks in gas and go pick up a boat in Fort Frances, Emo, Sudbury, Dryden, SSM or the likes for way cheaper or get a better boat for the same $ value.

Anyone have any insight?

crisop

That’s the age old question.  Same

as why is gas so much more in Thunder Bay than anywhere else with the same size city, no one really knows

I had had the same budget for a used boat a few years ago and couldn’t find anything decent at the time when I was looking so I ended up heading down south and picked up a brand new boat for $10,000 less than they were here. The guy is was dealing with at the dealership here couldn’t understand why I would waste my time heading down south to buy a boat. I’m all for spending my money local but 10g in my pocket is better for me

im looking at a new truck right now and there is a $25,524 difference for the price here and down south for the same truck with all the same options so that’s going to be a no brainer either 

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

scandiman

Wow, ya I have considered driving south to get a boat. Even with gas prices high, I’d still be saving thousands 

Bobber Down

It's been that way for 50+years. Nothing has changed. This is not new. Thunder Bay dealers be it boats, trucks or other toys, don't care if residents go elsewhere. The price is the price. They can't compete with larger markets and won't compete with smaller markets who actually want to move items, like in the case of Fort Frances etc for boats. Way more competition between dealers and private individuals wanting to sell in southern Ontario and great deals are everywhere. 

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

arvey

No use going else where to buy a boat I've tried , to me the dealers and manufactures are price fixing and have taken competition  out of the market . I've tried to compare apples with apples they are all very close or at least the ones I checked. At one dealer in town I was asked to give my dream price I did the difference was basically the tax the sales person laughed at me . This year that boat is still sitting at the same price , I guess half a loaf isn't better then no loaf.

Barrski

Just got back from Calgary and gas was $1.18

Winnipeg $1.20

Dryden $1.28

Rolled into Thunder Bay and I see $1.47 almost .20C more than Dryden