• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tonyv

First Year Tips -Grouse, Rabbits

Tonyv

Hey Folks,

First Year hunting and very excited for the opener. I know the general area for birds and such: 527, boreal... any logging road), just looking for more information on the terrain to look for and/ general hunting tips & strategies to help my success along. Will be walking (want the exercise) and welcoming to any tips you may have to offer.

cheers

James01

Rabbits are more active in the evening … look for them in lowland areas - I hunt and snare them, and I always concentrate on those areas. If we get snow before they turn white they are easier to see. They will also sit still and let you walk by … I have almost stepped on a rabbit or two. So, walk a bit, stop, and look - which is also good advice for grouse. If you spook a rabbit, it will likely run a bit and stop. 

For grouse, while I find them in lowland areas, I prefer highland. It might be because its easier walking and dry … because I have had good hunting in lowland areas too. Don't forget to check the trees, especially when it is wet - they will sit in spruce/pine trees. If they spook and fly, look for them in the trees - you can listen for them. They chirp/beep when they get nervous.

Carry a bag, it makes carrying grouse and/or rabbits so much easier. 

Just a few things off the top of my head … good luck.

J.

p.s. What gun are you using? I used to use a .22, but I got lazy and now I carry a shot gun. I use a slightly heavier load then is recommended for grouse or rabbits, as I find the heavier load does better in the bush and there is less shot to worry about. With a 20 gauge I aim a tiny bit high and in front of a grouse's head, and seldom do I get shot in the breast - more often than not its a clean head shot. In my experience, shooting a grouse through the body with .22 long often means looking a grouse that flew or ran off. Head or neck shots are recommended. All my Dad used were .22 shorts … in fact I started hunting with .22 shorts. Slower bullet seemed to knock the grouse/rabbit down rather than just pass through it. A .22 magnum can make a mess of a rabbit or grouse. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Nnev

If you're walking, take the time to stop and listen. You'd be surprised how many times you'll hear a bird just off the trail trying to make a run for it.

naden

Grouse hunting will get better once the grass dies and leaves fall off the trees. Highland areas are good, old cut roads that go through regenerating poplar and birch seem to be the best. Roads need to have gravel as that’s what they use to help digest food. When the weather cools roads that get some sun will often have birds sitting still taking in some sunshine. An alternative to a bag is a vest that has a game pouch on the back, clean them right away fold the breasts up in the wings and chuck them in the vest. Listening for them while walking works well, I once had a group of guys hunting grouse from quads pass us on a trail while we were walking, we shot ten grouse after they passed and all were off the road trying to sneak away. Ruffed grouse are better eating than spruce grouse, sometimes young spruce grouse or females can look somewhat similar to ruffed minus the peak on the top of the head so watch out for that. Sometimes sharp tails can be found north of the city. 

Tonyv
On 9/13/2019 at 10:04 AM, James01 said:

Rabbits are more active in the evening … look for them in lowland areas - I hunt and snare them, and I always concentrate on those areas. If we get snow before they turn white they are easier to see. They will also sit still and let you walk by … I have almost stepped on a rabbit or two. So, walk a bit, stop, and look - which is also good advice for grouse. If you spook a rabbit, it will likely run a bit and stop. 

For grouse, while I find them in lowland areas, I prefer highland. It might be because its easier walking and dry … because I have had good hunting in lowland areas too. Don't forget to check the trees, especially when it is wet - they will sit in spruce/pine trees. If they spook and fly, look for them in the trees - you can listen for them. They chirp/beep when they get nervous.

Carry a bag, it makes carrying grouse and/or rabbits so much easier. 

Just a few things off the top of my head … good luck.

J.

p.s. What gun are you using? I used to use a .22, but I got lazy and now I carry a shot gun. I use a slightly heavier load then is recommended for grouse or rabbits, as I find the heavier load does better in the bush and there is less shot to worry about. With a 20 gauge I aim a tiny bit high and in front of a grouse's head, and seldom do I get shot in the breast - more often than not its a clean head shot. In my experience, shooting a grouse through the body with .22 long often means looking a grouse that flew or ran off. Head or neck shots are recommended. All my Dad used were .22 shorts … in fact I started hunting with .22 shorts. Slower bullet seemed to knock the grouse/rabbit down rather than just pass through it. A .22 magnum can make a mess of a rabbit or grouse. 

going .22. Figured id use it as an opportunity to work on shooting and chasing head shots for more of a challenge. When you say any bag is a backpack fine? for grouse obviously i will de-breast instantly but with rabbits is it recommended to gut and skin right away or when i get back to the truck?

James01
On 9/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, Tonyv said:

going .22. Figured id use it as an opportunity to work on shooting and chasing head shots for more of a challenge. When you say any bag is a backpack fine? for grouse obviously i will de-breast instantly but with rabbits is it recommended to gut and skin right away or when i get back to the truck?

Rabbit are relatively easy to clean and skin … and even easier when they are warm. I usually clean grouse/rabbits when I get back to the truck (I seldom remember to bring a bag - too excited to get out I guess; not cleaning the grouse/rabbit makes it easier to carry). If you have a bag or backpack, cleaning them right away would reduce weight. If you are out all day you might want to consider keeping a small cooler with ice in your vehicle … especially if it is warm. I prefer bags/packs that breath … when I do remember to bring one. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

James01

Yeah, I had the same thoughts about using a .22 on small game. Now I bring my .22 magnum to a pit and practice on paper … and then break out the 20 gauge and go after grouse and rabbit. Good luck, and keep in mind what I said about head and neck shots. I have chased a few grouse that took off after hitting them in the body with a .22 LR. If your gun is capable, consider .22 shorts … or, I believe there is a company(s) producing subsonic .22 LR rounds. Might be something to consider for the same reasons - that is, knocking the grouse down rather than passing through it.

- Henry David Thoreau

Nnev

I usually either throw them in a backpack while walking or in the back of the truck if driving. once I have a few I'll wait till I find a creek to clean them up. No rush.. I've never had one go bad in the back of the truck on an afternoon.

When it comes to grouse I don't know if its just me but I'll avoid shooting one from behind. Wrong placement and you just mangle it. In my mind, even if the bb goes through the breast from the front, it didn't drag gut and poo particles through the breast like it would from behind. Maybe I'm more fussy about that than others. I stopped shooting rabbits, I don't know if I dont like them or if I cook them like crap but rabbits are safe when I'm walking but if your using a .22 Just aim for that beady little eye.

Nnev

Man I'm seeing a lot of rabbits this year. I was out Monday and 45 minutes before dark they started popping out. I saw at least 20 in those 45 minutes. Took the first one home for dinner.

also 2112.. I must really suck at cooking them. Usually I give them to my Italian father but after eating that guy Monday. I'm done with shooting rabbits.

Tonyv
On 9/18/2019 at 9:30 AM, Nnev said:

Man I'm seeing a lot of rabbits this year. I was out Monday and 45 minutes before dark they started popping out. I saw at least 20 in those 45 minutes. Took the first one home for dinner.

also 2112.. I must really suck at cooking them. Usually I give them to my Italian father but after eating that guy Monday. I'm done with shooting rabbits.

What general area were you in? Cant complain with a rabbit stew, coming from an Italian family myself nothing beats tomato sauce cooked with rabbit 

toma-hawk

I beg to differ, spruce hens and a garlic in tomato sauce taste better☺️

Rick

MetalFishing
On 9/17/2019 at 8:14 PM, 2112 said:

When it comes to grouse I don't know if its just me but I'll avoid shooting one from behind. Wrong placement and you just mangle it. In my mind, even if the bb goes through the breast from the front, it didn't drag gut and poo particles through the breast like it would from behind. Maybe I'm more fussy about that than others. I stopped shooting rabbits, I don't know if I dont like them or if I cook them like crap but rabbits are safe when I'm walking but if your using a .22 Just aim for that beady little eye.

Try this out; it’s unreal