• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Zak

Ice fishing

KMG
On 11/13/2019 at 6:59 PM, Zak said:

Has anyone been to any small lakes out by whitefish yet if so how much ice was on em

I was out last weekend and Sunset had around 4" and two small stocked lakes off Devon Rd has around 5-6" of nice ice. Whitefish was at least  6-7" 

KMG
22 hours ago, poz said:

Ya Zak they were nice fish 16-20 but real fat. There were 3 of us out so the action was not continual but a nice day. Thanks for the update KMG sounds like the small lakes around whitefish should be good to go 👍🏼

No problem, went out again yesterday and we did find a few sketchy spots after the last week of snow and warm weather. Definitely recommend bringing an ice chisel to check before you step, play it safe. 

Gretter99

Was thinking of heading out near fort frances to do some ice fishing on some smaller lakes. Does anyone know if the ice is good?

• Like 1

miller88

I was in Fort Frances last weekend.They had less snow than us when I got there Saturday. Rainy lake is open, swamps are froze over but they had rain last Sunday and warm temps. I wouldn't expect to see anything fishable just yet..... unless you're taking your boat.

Gretter99
2 hours ago, miller88 said:

I was in Fort Frances last weekend.They had less snow than us when I got there Saturday. Rainy lake is open, swamps are froze over but they had rain last Sunday and warm temps. I wouldn't expect to see anything fishable just yet..... unless you're taking your boat.

I have never ice fished up there much other then in March. When do the small lakes usually freeze up, mid December?

miller88

Yeah by mid December all the lakes usually have something. We usually fish Rainy Lake on boxing day. 

• Like 1

Foozer

We tried a stocked lake near Upsala today.

We didn’t know they had a foot of snow out there while I still have a few patches of green in my yard.

Thought we would have a nice walk into a new stocked lake - Wrong! The 15 minute walk took half hour breaking trail through deep snow.

Shady side of lake had 12” ice.

Drilled holes in the sunny side and found a couple inches of crush, couple inches of slush, and only 5” ice under that.

And the fishing stunk.  Hand drilled 20 holes along a whole shoreline of the lake for one hit.  Didn’t even land it.  Broke the line.....

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....