• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zak

Stocked rainbow trout lakes

Zak

Has anyone been to any of the stocked rainbow lakes yet this year if so did you have any luck 

medy

About a foot of ice on them. My auger broke after the first hole so I only fished one shallow hole with no luck. Somebody had been out a few days before and "swiss cheesed" the shoreline.

Zak

Have you ever had any luck fishing for the stocked rainbow I’ve tried 2 times came up empty both time any suggestions for em?

medy

Way easier to catch during the fall open water. Limited success in the winter, I usually use salted minnows and small spoons. First light/last light is usually best. Finicky is a polite word for them.

I have zero clue if this stands true for inland stocked lakes, but on superior ive had 3 rainbow experiences on the ice and all times they hit my herring line while out fishing for whities in anywhere from 25-40ft. Maybe try jigging a little cleo or buckshot or one of those lindy rattling flyers a foot below the ice? Something to try anyways. Good luck.

Zak

Thanks for the tips I’ll have to get out again this year and try my luck 

Zackcorbin1401

I always get out a couple times early ice for rainbows. Generally I set on jawjacker with a jig and a peice of worm or a minnow on it . The second rod is in my hand with a small spoon. 75% of the time I get the fish on the jacker. I usually fish 10-30 ft deep and allways fish mid column for rainbows but they can be anywhere. I’ve caught them 6ft down in 80ft if water. Hell of a fight for small fish

DBA4DEB0-6E0B-4506-A7E3-043D03664C87.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AB

I used to fish many of the Manitoba stocked lakes in the Whiteshell Park next to the Ontario border.

A still line with a small jig and nitecrawler, a foot or two off the bottom in 6 to 10 ft of water was a nice start.

A small black/gold or black/silver jigging rapala was the standard goto presentation for the second rod. We would target 6 to 8 ft of water around submerged wood or known weedbeds always produced fish. 

Bigger fish would be caught suspended over deeper watet, but fish near the shorelines were generally more active.

I agree, lb for lb a rainbow under the ice fights way above its weight class.

Good luck!

AB

CountDupu

I haven't gone out this year but I have gone the last couple and caught a couple nice rainbows out of the small potholes near whitefish . Usually I jig a small Cleo or William's wobbler jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head in 15ft or so. 

Zackcorbin1401
14 hours ago, Zak said:

What lake do you find most productive?

They are all pretty decent but look at the stocking lists to determine the best bet. Not many fish get put into those lakes. Pothole is a near vertical walk down the the lake. 81e is more of a walk but definitely not as harsh, as for jinx I’ve never fished

• Like 1