• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grounds Keeper Willie

Stocked Brook Trout Growth Rate

Grounds Keeper Willie

Just curious if anyone possibly has any information about the growth rate of stocked brook trout yearlings in the stocked lakes? I Used fish a stocked lake and caught most of my fish in the 10-14 inch range. Wondering what the age of those fish would be. They’re stocked as yearlings.  The other lakes I’ve fished are fry stocked but the book hasn’t been updated in ages and I didn’t ever seem to notice a difference in the taste of the fish. Been a while since I’ve fished these lakes a few years actually and with this illness going around I’m off work and thinking of trying to get some trout. TIA

AGGGH

mad scientist

It really varies from water body to water body.  Brook trout don't live very long...typically around 5 years, so their growth is rapid.  But their growth rates are really tied to the local environment and fish community.

MNRF's fish monitoring programs focus on naturally reproducing fish populations; I'm unaware of any monitoring of stocked lakes that would give you a good answer to your question.

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

naden

Wasn’t their a growth chart in the old stocked lakes map book from crime stoppers? Speaking of that book , it’s time for a reprint!

• Like 1

muddy
On 3/21/2020 at 6:38 AM, mad scientist said:

It really varies from water body to water body.  Brook trout don't live very long...typically around 5 years, so their growth is rapid.  But their growth rates are really tied to the local environment and fish community.

MNRF's fish monitoring programs focus on naturally reproducing fish populations; I'm unaware of any monitoring of stocked lakes that would give you a good answer to your question.

Does the 5 year life span apply to coasters, too?

mad scientist

I don't have first hand access to that information, but this is what the US Fish and Wildlife Service says...

Coaster brook trout tend to live longer (5 to 8 years versus less than 5 years) and grow larger (12 to 25 in. versus 0.5 to 5 in. and 0.75 to 5 pounds versus less than 1 pound) than stream resident brook trout.

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

Snag???

17.5 inch how old???

Snag???

The ones caught this morning,4 years.

E2F91D91-931F-489F-BAC1-AE3AF5BC63D7.jpeg