• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tbayfinn

Black Sturgeon Squatters

Shawn

Next time you are on phone with mnr ask them what a status card is I forgot thunder bays 3 most hated criminals are murderers thieves/robbers and  campers love it

MacGuyver
17 hours ago, Shawn said:

Now that you mention it that way I rethought it and ya the danger of them spreading the covid out there is huge now I agree they are very bad people thanks for changing me

It's got nothing to do with spreading it out there. It's about breaking the law, in fact breaking several laws as madscientist pointed out. Whether you agree with it or not. 

I tried to bring my family there last year several times (Nonwatin), but the place was full. Went back a few weeks later to try again and all the same trailers were still there. Tried again a third time and guess what... Still there... Bunch of ignorant people who think they own the place. 

17 hours ago, Shawn said:

And with all this whining those campers may have a card that says they can camp on any crown land whenever and for as long as they want without being occupied never know

It's not crown land, it a provincial park. Such card card doesn't exist. 

12 hours ago, Walleeslayer said:

Don’t go camping but you can all go to your camps !!!! Ya these guys are the worst I say lock em up ! 

Nobody said they are bad people, and I doubt they are, but the fact remains they're breaking the law. 

12 hours ago, therealfndeal said:

All the campers in pictures are status natives which are still allowed to camp 

Nope nice try. They can stay only if they are practicing their treaty rights. Recreational camping is not a treaty right. 

I love the area, grew up out there, but these idiots are going to ruin it for everyone. I for one, will be taking a photo and calling to report on every camper I see unmoved in the park for more than 23 days. 21 days for crown land. I'm sick of it. I drove into Little Sturge last year and was disgusted at what I saw in there... 

• Like 1

Shawn

Again you win call mnr they’ll probably be out by this afternoon good luck

MacGuyver
49 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Next time you are on phone with mnr ask them what a status card is I forgot thunder bays 3 most hated criminals are murderers thieves/robbers and  campers love it

I have talked with the mnr about this specifically. Learned a lot of good information. In brief, a Status card doesn't automatically give unlimited rights on crown or park land like many people think. 

Shawn

Ok like I said I’m glad that’s all cleared up I might try to snag a spot there once there gone and I guess you are going to get everyone to follow the regulations for limits set by the government awsome more good news I called the police this morning to let them know that there is gangs in town from down south so that will be cleared up as well 

Shawn

Shucks eh guess they ain’t gonna be out oh well hopefully the gangsters filling up with the last bit of expensive gas in their life and heading out

RH.

Was up there yesterday and ran into a CO who was investigating the trailers at the top end of black sturgeon lake 

j.klister
7 hours ago, Dirttracker18 said:

.....t stoop to the level of criminals. .

You mean like the cirminals who illegally dump their trailer shaped garbage unattended in the same spot for more than 21 days?

If they are truly status, and this is legal according to the treaty, then that's another thing.

But you can't deny that people staking out these spots to park their trailers all summer is not a problem in the Thunder Bay area.

Shawn

I get a kick out of big talkers saying they are going to commit a big crime like theft over five grande by towing away a 30 thousand dollar trailer because it never moved but are scared to have a sleepover by themselves in the bush because government says it’s illegal lol you were wrong on everything else you said just want to let you know towing someone else’s trailer is illegal 

• Like 1

j.klister
1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I get a kick out of big talkers saying they are going to commit a big crime like theft over five grande by towing away a 30 thousand dollar trailer because it never moved but are scared to have a sleepover by themselves in the bush because government says it’s illegal lol you were wrong on everything else you said just want to let you know towing someone else’s trailer is illegal 

In my opinion, dumping your trailer shaped garbage unattended without moving it for more than 21 says is stealing camping opportunities from the people of Ontario.  I place a penalty value of that as 1$ per  Ontario resident per day. after the legally alloted 21.  I doubt that fine is that much though,  evidence that the government is criminally undervaluing the value of our public lands. 

• Like 1

Shawn

So J klister as we know this is not trailer shaped garbage it’s a camper and we discovered they are probably doing it legally as they have status cards which I New as I know people who camp there and as long as they are exercising their rights such as fishing they are allowed to be there for as long as they wish been said before  entitled campers are teaching their kids bad habits which I don’t understand as everything being done is legal including the camping for people with status cards during covid which I personally think should be allowed for others without cards as well  I guess you believe some punks can steal and break into your truck shaped garbage or house shaped garbage and that’s ok you sound very smart good luck in life 

Shawn

My last comment on this site as I’m headed to go camping for awhile but I’m sure there will be a lot more spots available for you guys in the black sturgeon area  now after it’s been announced all over this site how deadly it is up there no new people will head that way to try it out  same as tease lake opening weekend cheers I love you all

pastor norm

I respect the First Nation's right to camp wherever they wish.  However, using a provincial park for extended camping seems to me to be an abuse of treaty rights just as parking our trailers on public lands for months at a time is also an abuse of our treaty rights as non-indigenous people.  The whole concept of treaty rights is about "sharing" the land and the resources in it.   We are all treaty people.  Selfish behaviours are contrary to the Canadian way of life.  Cue Burton Cummings

• Like 3

forkhorn

I thought the whole point of shutting down parks and crown land camping was to reduce public gatherings for public health and safety, being we all use a universal health care system.... how foolish of me to think that they did this to protect us all. 

• Like 1

pastor norm

I don't know why why these trailers are there.  I can only speculate.   I am not even sure this has anything to do with First Nation ownership.  For now, I would respect the property and wait for info from the authorities.  For instance,  reserve communities will have a hell of a time with things like suitable quarantine space when they often have overcrowded housing and poor medical resources.   Or maybe this has nothing at all with Covid.

The pictures we see in this post are only telling us part of the whole story.  

MacGuyver

I agree that we all should be allowed to camp, but that's not the case right now...I also agree it's up to the authorities to decide and I don't condone touching/ moving other peoples property. 

I respect First Nation's treaty rights when exercised according to the rules. I have  no problem with it at all. However, I have also witnessed (and reported) abuse of these privileges... I'm not ok with turning a blind eye just because they have a status card... It's not a "do whatever I want" card. Btw, a status card is not an official document that proves they have treaty rights to hunt and fish in an area. In fact, an actual official document of that doesn't exist. Also, if out of their own treaty area, they are supposed to have a Shipman letter that states they have permission to hunt or fish in that treaty area... That being said, the status card is usually enough for most Co's to leave them alone. Truthfully, I doubt many of them want to go thru the hassle of a court case and risk being labeled as a racist, as the term is very loosely thrown around these days...imo 

What I don't respect, is the garbage that's left behind. When I rolled into Nonwatin Lake on the long weekend, there was a plastic lawn chair floating around out from the beach. They launched about 6 boats right beside it... With all the people that where there, not one pulled the bobbing chair from the water... I pulled 4 beer bottles, a bunch of broken glass, a hammer and a window frame out of the lake. I also saw old BBQ's, buckets, building materials, shredded tarps/plastic and burned up lawn chairs in the surrounding area. I'm not saying it was them, but it was somebody and it's disgusting.

I was always taught to leave a campsite as clean or cleaner than it was when I arrived. I have taught the same to my kids.

You do you, just know that there's people who won't turn a blind eye and won't hesitate to report unlawful activities should they see it. 

Cheers, 

• Like 2

pastor norm

I appreciate your willingness to confront abuses of our mutual heritage.   Just make sure its even handed, I have witnessed such carelessness in camps pitched by people of all stripes.  In your post you identify First Nations and their treaty rights, then point out all the garbage and floating chair beer bottles, etc even though "I'm not saying it was them... it's disgusting."    But you just made the guilty association yourself in the post.    

Thank you for teaching your children how to respect the land and our waters.  We have a long way to go before we all learn to respect each other no matter who our ancestors were.   

lexington2
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:45 AM, Dirttracker18 said:

Very interesting topic here.

Let me clear a few things up for you.  First I am out in this area camping and fishing most of the summer so I am familiar with the area and people.  

1. The CO's are out there often, pretty much every weekend and yes they have jurisdiction in that provincial park, they have jurisdiction anywhere in Ontario.  I saw them out there on May long and they are aware of the campers and know the people well.

2. Those trailers are all owned by people of status and yes they have the right to be there as long as they wish when they wish.  This has been dealt with in the past and is now fully clarified.

3. If you were unfortunate enough to have an issue in that area, a break down or worse an accident, these people are the first ones to jump to your rescue.  I have personally seen them drive great distances to help break downs, dragging out a moose, fixing trailers, pulling out stuck trucks and are more than accommodating when you pull in any of those spots to park your camper for the weekend.

4. Other than Sturge all the other areas have plenty of camping spots on any given weekend.

5. Finally and most importantly, I don't take threats to peoples personal property lightly.  If anything happens to someones stuff out there I will gladly share my screen shots of these threats with the owners, police and COs.  We are all outdoors people and need to look out for each other, not stoop to the level of criminals.  I go out there to get away from that kind of crap, not find more of it.

Hopefully we will all get to enjoy the summer soon and take advantage of the amazing places we have here in NW Ontario.

I'm not sure if putting ropes across the road, putting dummies in chairs around the camp site and a net across the launch is exactly accommodating? 

MacGuyver
1 hour ago, pastor norm said:

I appreciate your willingness to confront abuses of our mutual heritage.   Just make sure its even handed, I have witnessed such carelessness in camps pitched by people of all stripes.  In your post you identify First Nations and their treaty rights, then point out all the garbage and floating chair beer bottles, etc even though "I'm not saying it was them... it's disgusting."    But you just made the guilty association yourself in the post.    

Thank you for teaching your children how to respect the land and our waters.  We have a long way to go before we all learn to respect each other no matter who our ancestors were.   

Fair enough. I too have witnessed and reported abuse of resources from all stripes as well... I did not in any way intend to imply they are the only guilty party(ies). ...

What I did intend to imply is that it is up to us collectively to take care of these areas so everyone can enjoy them, regardless of who or where you're from or what your rights are...

I love it up there, and agree the majority of the people I have met are great! I also have seen many of these great people help others in need, myself included. However,  it's plain to see that not everyone is doing their part and it makes us, (outdoors people in general) all look bad. I guess I was just disappointed in what I saw on these last couple day trips and just had to vent...

fishman1

The native community should take note how fast the virus spread in the gull bay community. It's nobody's inherint right to subject that to anyone else.

they are not above the law, it's my tax dollars dealing with their covid outbreaks.

pastor norm

Do you know something we don't?   How is this related to the camping?

44 minutes ago, fishman1 said:

The native community should take note how fast the virus spread in the gull bay community. It's nobody's inherint right to subject that to anyone else.

they are not above the law, it's my tax dollars dealing with their covid outbreaks.

This comment was so dumb I had to chime in. Firstly, what is an inherint right? Word Doesn't exist. As for your tax dollars dealing with their COVID outbreaks...  My Lord... I dont know if youre heartless, dumb or ignorant. They got a friggen blow up tent for Christ sakes. You know where your COVID tax dollars are going? Southern ontario.. Where white people are acting like dickweeds. This whole thread got so out of hand and off topic. Grow up.

• Like 4

pastor norm

Sometimes I think some people just like to stir the hornet's nest and then laugh at the reactions.  They use dog whistle words like "my tax dollars" and "inherint (sic) rights" and "not above the law".  I am sorry I stepped in that pile of bear scat but if only this person knew that the law requires governments to ensure the health of indigenous communities.   Those are treaty dollars and not "tax" dollars.   It sounds like this person feels he is above the law.   Last word from on this squatters thread.   

• Like 1

tna0066

This thread is an absolute embarrassment.  The racial undertones, the outright racial remarks are disgusting.  I thought this forum was for those who wish to discuss and share our passion for all things outdoors.  All i see in this is comments that one would typically found on local Facebook pages from those who have nothing better to do.  What a bunch of children in this forum.   

• Like 4