• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hank

22 cal. for bear?

hank

Has anyone heard of shooting a nuisance bear in the head with a 22? I would think it would be too small. And probably not within regulations.

Any thoughts?

That is not a good idea and it is illegal.

brookiebuster

If you absolutely had to and you got it in the right spot it can be done, definitely not recommended. I know way back in the day the world record grizzly was killed with a single .22 to the head.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

hank

Yes I know its not a good idea, and I wouldn't try it. As for the regs. it says you can use center fire rifle but doesn't have min. cal.size. That's confusing.  

Ya I suppose centre fire is likely different, but could you not contact a trapper to come take it and then it's all legal? Or borrow a larger rifle from a friend? Is it coming to your garbage? Usually a "nuisance" bear is a result of your own garbage disposal and property up keep. Are you feeding birds? Are you an apiarist? Get rid of the food source, get rid of the problem. Pest control 101.

eyelander
9 hours ago, brookiebuster said:

If you absolutely had to and you got it in the right spot it can be done, definitely not recommended. I know way back in the day the world record grizzly was killed with a single .22 to the head.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz6SnJxT4Nh

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

James01

I knew of an old timer, who - years ago - only carried a .22 magnum on his trap line. He took down everything with that gun, including bear and moose. Not advised, but it can be done.

A 12 gauge with a slug is a much better option.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Feldwebel Wolfenstool

I remember in the 1950's that old man Nupponen killed a bear with a .22 and hung the hide on the garage wall......Teuvo said his pa walked right up to it and plugged it between the eyes from 6 feet away...