• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Hurketthunter

Dogs running deer

Hurketthunter

I’m posting this half as a rant and half in hopes that the owner may see this and control their pets. This morning my eleven year old son and I snuck into a stand that we have been getting photos of a large ten point. We get into position an hour before light and wait. Two hours into shooting time we see something running through the trees coming in our direction. Then we hear barking. We watch as the buck we have been hunting bolts past us with two dogs on his heels. There was no opportunity for a shot. This would be upsetting for anyone but for my son who is trying to get his first deer it was too much. We packed up and headed home. This happened in conmee township and there are homes in the area but what kind of owners let their dogs run free at a time of year when the woods are full of hunters? Control your pets!

Hurketthunter

millingabout

I actually believe its legal to shoot dogs that are chasing wildlife like that. Of course nobody wants to do that but I'm pretty sure its legal

Hurketthunter

I’m not certain that’s true. I mentioned the incident to a conservation officer who checked us several days later and all he said was that since it happened on private land that would be a trespassing issue. No mention of any other type of legal action. While it very well may be legal to do so and he just didn’t say it, nobody wants to shoot someone’s pets as you said. Considering how many hunters are in the area though there is a strong possibility that they may run into someone who isn’t as cool headed and that ends badly for everyone. 

Hurketthunter

hunt or be hunted

I’ve run into this problem a few a times over the years and the best and honest result I have found is comforting the home owners of the dogs and explain it situation to them and what their doing by chasing the wildlife, most people are pretty good they will lease them while ur their hunting or keep them close to the house and others not so much care and will tell you off that’s their dogs always run free, the CO will normally not even enforce the no trespassing rule unless the property owner calls them to complain about the dogs and they have to have some sorta proof the dogs chasing/harassing the wildlife on a regular, it’s A tough deal ur caught in the crossfire their, personally I would chat with home owner if u know who’s dogs they are and explain to them ur situation with ur son, may work it may not.

115kv

I think the law states that only CO's are allowed to shoot dogs harassing wildlife - not just anyone. 

With the number of wolves in this general area I feel like this would be a temporary problem at best though, if they are allowed to roam often.

Hurketthunter

If I could find out who owns the dogs I would certainly try to have a conversation with them. Unfortunately they do not belong to the land owner and I’ve never had the opportunity to check the collar for a tag. I’ve had these same dogs on my trail cams for several years and I’ve always suspected they were chasing deer but this is the first time I’ve seen it for myself. I very much doubt wolves will solve the issue. This is my fourth season hunting this ground without a single photo or evidence of wolves. I’m thinking I might have to keep some dog treats in my vest and try to get one close to check for tags then go have a conversation with the owner. 

Hurketthunter

Kayaker

• Dog owners are urged to keep their dogs leashed or in enclosures to ensure the safety of both dogs and deer.  

• Under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, it is illegal to let a dog run at large in an area inhabited by deer, moose, elk or bear during the closed season.  

• Under this legislation, the ministry’s conservation officers may charge dog owners and are authorized to destroy dogs found chasing deer if they cannot be called off the pursuit.

• The public can report incidents of dogs chasing deer to their local ministry office during regular business hours, or by calling 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)toll-free anytime.

To report a natural resource violation call 1-877-TIPS (847-7667) toll free anytime or contact your local Ministry office during regular business hours.

TradD

Shoot, shovel, shut up.

hunt or be hunted

Shoot, shovel and shut up eh ? So your one of those guys with zero respect for dogs or their owners, take the time to talk to a dog owner what’s happening ? U would rather shoot someone’s pet for The sake of killing a wild animal? I have heard of guys like u in the bush doing those things and u better hope u don’t ever cross my path or touch my dogs cause the last thing ur gonna see is shovel in ur face before ur ER visit. Very careful how u go about dealing with us country folk out here in the woods cause shooting our pets is asking for a lot of trouble real quick and if u think we don’t keep tabs on the hunters in the area, what name brand of truck u drive, colour and liscence plates numbers think again, cause we do ! 

TradD

Wow everyone is so hostile. I am certainly not one of those guys as you stated far from it. I just think anyone that allows their dog to run game or run loose and unsupervised for that matter does not deserve the right to have a dog. The one thing you have right is that I certainly have no respect for pet owners that have no respect.

hunt or be hunted

Well I 100 % agree with u on that statement I do, but the way u wrote that first comment  “ shoot,shovel,shut up “ is a much different tone then what u are posting now. That’s not showing any respect towards the animal, it’s not the animals fault for doing what they naturally have bread into them is running and chasing, that’s on the owners end, don’t kill or fault a dog for it, give the animal enough respect to track down its owner and find a peaceful resolution to matter, killing the dog makes u no better of a person then the person letting it run wild. Yes their is a few pieces to this story we don’t know as for private lands or land owners, and so on. If u don’t have enough respect for any animal to care for it’s well being then mabey u should put the gun down and learn some better ethics and learn to be a teacher to others, show them the right way to deal with things and not paint a bad picture of us hunters that all we do is shoot crap. 

forkhorn

Obviously, I must be different. If my dog is running deer and out of control go ahead and blast him and fine me.  Mind you, I have dogs and I know where they are... 98% of the time. I respect wildlife equally and would take down a wild animal if they chased my dog. 

lexington2
14 hours ago, forkhorn said:

Obviously, I must be different. If my dog is running deer and out of control go ahead and blast him and fine me.  Mind you, I have dogs and I know where they are... 98% of the time. I respect wildlife equally and would take down a wild animal if they chased my dog. 

yup, you are different alright